• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favourite Book

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 1, 2016
I did a lot of spare reading in junior high and early high school. Post the book that tops your collection of best reads.

For me, my favourite book would have to be "The House of the Scorpion".
I found it by chance in my Junior High library and picked it up because it was in the Sci-Fi section and didn't look like it belonged there. I'm glad I found it because it made me think a lot and it got me away from television or the internet more than anything else has been able to do. A friend of mine even looks for it so that he can see what I kept talking about. Such a touching story.

Here is an image:

TheHouseoftheScorpion.jpg

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
At the moment, my favorite book is "Into the Beautiful North" by Luis Alberto Urrea. It's about a Mexican woman named Nayeli who lives in a town where there are almost no men, because all of the men have moved north in search of work. This has left the town at the mercy of criminals like drug dealers and other nasty sorts.

One day, Nayeli goes to the cinema with her friends and they watch The Magnificent Seven, which gives them an idea to travel north to America and recruit their own "Magnificent Seven" to kick the criminals out of town. The story follows them as they head north to America.

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
Years
Mine at the moment Is Twilight. the book was 100% better then the movie. great love and action.
Its so addicting, once you start reading it you cant put it down.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
My favourite would have to be Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. :3 It has a strong-willed heroine, an extremely complex plot, and a decent balance between fantasy and reality. :3

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 1, 2016
Iunno, I'm stuck between Stephen King's books, Terry Pratchett's books, and Darren Shan's books.

I read a few of King's books. I find them to be great reads, as they have an obvious dark feeling with whimsical and hopeful undertones.

The Harry Potter series is still my favorite. xD

I read and own all seven and found them to be a delight. The moives are something that I never really cared for.

Years
Iunno, I'm stuck between Stephen King's books, Terry Pratchett's books, and Darren Shan's books.
If I feel like I need a laugh I go to the Discworld. If you have a sense of humor you can't read any of Pratchett's books and not laugh.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Probably Sphere by Michael Crichton... though Jurassic Park is right up there too.

I also really like Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. *loves thriller novels with (often fake) science* v_v;

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. The beat generation dudes heavily influenced my frame of mind. Number two would be One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Not really into reading books (other than Mangas) I only read 7 books fully before and thats the Harry Potter series and I really love the series. I'll rather take 60 shots to my spine then to read a book

:t354:TG

Callandor

ughhh....
Years
Favorite book? Honestly, their are too many to name, but I guess I'll give it a try.

My top favorite would have to be the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (who died before he could finish the 12th and last book), followed closely by the Dragonriders of Pern series by Ann McCaffery.

And in no particular order here are the next few;

Animorphs (all 54+ books)
The Zombie Survival Guide
A lot of the Magic: The Gathering books
Jurassic Park (read it for the first time last year)

Can't think of any others right now. I am about to start the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson (who is supposed to finish the Wheel of Time series)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Mister Monday by Garth Nix.

Then comes Muddle Earth by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle.

Then the Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddle.

Then the Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
Well, because im Aussie:P , I really like the Tomorrow series, I think it would be cool to go through what they did

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
Years
By far the best book I've ever read is 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. It's just, the best book ever - yes, even better than 'Twilight'. Here's the blurb from the site:

In a twisted vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place.

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

I've read a lot of books, yes, LOADS, but trust me, it surpasses THEM ALL.

Years
The books from the Cherub series, theres 12 ATM! But, im currently on the 3rd, still enjoying it though!

Back