• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Guide to Replacing Pokemon Sprites (FR/LG/R/S)

DingoDD

I'll Import your Sprites
Years
Very good tutorial, I just have one question, My backround shows when I send the pokemon out. I followed everything in the tutorial, but when you had to paste the original sprite over the indexed one, it said the image was not indexed when I tried to import on unLZ.gba. help?

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
Very good tutorial, I just have one question, My backround shows when I send the pokemon out. I followed everything in the tutorial, but when you had to paste the original sprite over the indexed one, it said the image was not indexed when I tried to import on unLZ.gba. help?

Read the bugs guide at the bottom of the tutorial. If it says it isn't indexed after copy/pasting it then you probably have used more than 16 colours. If the background is showing, the background colour is not in the first slot of the palette. You will have to re-index the file and reinsert.

DingoDD

I'll Import your Sprites
Years
Read the bugs guide at the bottom of the tutorial. If it says it isn't indexed after copy/pasting it then you probably have used more than 16 colours. If the background is showing, the background colour is not in the first slot of the palette. You will have to re-index the file and reinsert.

Okay, I just made a sprite with 5 colours including the backround.I followed the steps and made the changes. But it still says image not indexed. Is their any way I could show you?

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2013
Ok, this was actually extremely helpful, thanks. Question though, let's say I wanted to take every sprite from Emerald, and put it into FR/LG. Is there a way to do large amounts at once, or can it only be 1 sprite at a time?

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
Okay, I just made a sprite with 5 colours including the backround.I followed the steps and made the changes. But it still says image not indexed. Is their any way I could show you?
You could upload the photo to imageshack, then post the link in this thread.

Ok, this was actually extremely helpful, thanks. Question though, let's say I wanted to take every sprite from Emerald, and put it into FR/LG. Is there a way to do large amounts at once, or can it only be 1 sprite at a time?
I'm not sure, could be possible. Only advice I can give is to search through the help threads or toolbox.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
hmm pretty good i finally did it yay! can you do the backsprite part and how to make it not mess up

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2010
i followed your guide step by step and it still ended up looking like this i pallated it in adobe then use free space finder and copied the code in when i was saving it and it still looks like this

messup.jpg

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
If it gets lines over it like that, most likely there wasn't enough space to put it in, or you've placed something else over it. Since you said fsf gave you the offset, most likely the latter. This problem happened to me when I had the palette accidentally overwriting the sprite.

Start afresh with a new rom and try this:
Make sure you don't repoint the palette in unlz, just leave its offset as is
Make sure you use offsets beyond 800000 (there should be a tick box for this in fsf
Dont insert something else in the sprite offset

ChaosNinjat

Dragon Ranger
Years
I've followed this tutorial, but used it to replace the trainer sprite for the male protagonist, and it worked on my back up rom, but now that I put it into the real rom, I follow every step, but the Trainer card goes black when you try to view it, is there anything I can do to reverse this?

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
Er, I'm no expert on patching or anything, but here's a link for ROM Recovery. You'll need HackMew's program A-Patch from his tool thread, there's a link to the thread somewhere in my tutorial if you want it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2011
great tutorial :) i have a problem with paint though, i can't open png files they have to be .bmp =/ what do i do?
i get the sprites into the game but they're all messed up

Maco

learning the ropes...
Years
great tutorial :) i have a problem with paint though, i can't open png files they have to be .bmp =/ what do i do?
i get the sprites into the game but they're all messed up

Weird. It should open png's, mine does. What OS are you running? XP, Vista, etc?

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2017
Perhaps you should say something about shiny sprites as it is a little more difficult then the normal ones.
Because you have to change the order of the shiny's pallete to make it come out right as I have found out the hard way :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2011
i found out what it was =P my computer messed up a while ago so we loaded Windows 2000 over the top of XP...paint on windows 2000 is rubbish "/ :L
it just means i keep having to convert the picture file after editing it which probably isn't helping it be clear.

EDIT

I got round the paint problem, but after i do everything the tutorial says, the new picture is back to 24 BPP so it says it is not indexed "/ what to do?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2020
Mine still says it isn't indexed, and I've redone the tutorial multiple times.

Can you explain exactly what it does when it indexes a file? That may have something to do with my problem.

Back