• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2023
Ok, so I've nearly finished changing the Pokemon sprites in the hack I'm working on (only need to change Deoxys and Chimecho), so I decided to test my hack, when I found it freezes at the Game Freak logo screen, although its freezing at a rather odd spot.

It freezes just when the star comes on screen after the copyright info screen so I don't know what's going on or what's been changed to screw up the rom, and the last time I remember testing the rom was when I had all mons up to Plusle and Minun sprites and palettes changed and I've done everything up to Jirachi now, and the lact actual backup I have that works has up to Milotic's sprite and palette edited, though it also has PLusle's sprite and Palette done as well as Castform's Sprite and Palettes edited and working too so if there isn't a way to fix my issue I won't be hurting TOO much, but if there is a way, that would be awesome!

Years
@zork, verify the pokémon you modified since your last working back-up and see if all of their palettes's offsets and sprites' offsets end with a 0, 4, 8 or C. in case one or several ones of them don't, then try to repoint them. But, since it is freezing and not restarting, I think you probably overwrote some part of the Intro, in which case, the best thing to do is start again from your last working back-up, after all, Milotic is very close to the end of the Pokédex.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hm ok, but wouldn't this change the whole pokemon's sprites? I think they are using the in-game sprites, not any intro-specific sprites..
Then there should be something telling the game to use these pokemons and not others that would be modifiable..

Yes, changing the sprites will change the ingame sprites. So, there is something which tells the game what sprites to load. I don't know where it is, but it does exist.

This questions is regarding Advance Map (1.95) (Hacking on Fire Red)

I recently started on making a hack, but I am really bad at mapping. My friend wants to do the mapping part, so we want to work together.
But now my question is: How can I import the maps he made into my Rom?
I have tried to insert or tried to overwrite an existing map with another existing map (Like tried to paste Mt. Moon on Viridian Forest) but this did not seem to work.

Can anyone help us out?

Also,
Is it possible to create extra maps without throwing away the old maps? I tried to make another map into Bank 3, but it just duplicated the map I was currently working on. The duplicated map and the original map's names would stay the same, even if I wanted to change them.

Is it also possible to create more banks?

It is possible to create more banks and more maps. The settings for it are in the top menus.

There is also a tutorial by Tajaros in the tutorials section on importing maps.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2013
Is there a guide out there for Fire Red's overworld sprites that states the picture number (in AdvanceMap) and what they correspond to normally? It's kind of tedious to search through one by one for the one that you're looking for.

I've tried searching both Google and the forums but almost everything that comes up is an editing or adding sprites guide and that's not what I'm looking for.

edit: also does anyone know the script code for running shoes in fire red. not the entire script just the 0x??

edit2: Was testing out some maps in Fire Red and this happened

http: //i1021 .ph otobucket.com/albums/af336/Rtalty13/ Routemessesup.png?t=1369259685

Any idea how to fix it or why it may have happened? It goes away as you walk back into the region above but is very annoying.

edit3: What are some possible reasons for warps not working properly in game? I've done about 200 of them today and have tested them all now but for some reason my warp to exit a cave is not working no matter what I do. I've tried deleting the warps and trying again with new space multiple times but they are still not working. Perhaps there is a different kind of warp for exiting caves?

One more question. Does anyone know a safe place to download Advance Text from?

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2016
Is is possible to create/add new moves, move effects, and animations in Pokemon Emerald? So far the tutorials I've found are only for FireRed.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Is is possible to create/add new moves, move effects, and animations in Pokemon Emerald? So far the tutorials I've found are only for FireRed.

It certainly is possible, but for that you need to find the move, move effects, animations etc tables and repoint them all as shown in those tutorials.
But since these tuts are for Fr, you need to take a look at the .ini of PGE maybe that points you to some directions, or you try to find them yourself.

Good luck.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
The location in the clean rom that the pointer exists... That same location should hold a different pointer in the edited rom. Just go there and place your pointer.

Okay I did just that and now my backsprites are still mixed up (good colors, but mixed) and the trainer sprites (front sprites) are mixed as well (before hexing, they were okay).

I'm getting sortoff really frustrated at the moment, since I wanted to have these 'small' things done before I really started mapping... But hey, lesson learned :P

I'll just now edit the palette using APE, changing the colors around and see if that works.

Just as side question: is this easier to do in Fire Red?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Okay I did just that and now my backsprites are still mixed up (good colors, but mixed) and the trainer sprites (front sprites) are mixed as well (before hexing, they were okay).

I'm getting sortoff really frustrated at the moment, since I wanted to have these 'small' things done before I really started mapping... But hey, lesson learned :P

I'll just now edit the palette using APE, changing the colors around and see if that works.

Just as side question: is this easier to do in Fire Red?

It's about the same in FR. The reason your colors are messed up is because they are in the wrong order in the palette. See if you can fix that and then you should be good.

Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2023
@zork, verify the pokémon you modified since your last working back-up and see if all of their palettes's offsets and sprites' offsets end with a 0, 4, 8 or C. in case one or several ones of them don't, then try to repoint them. But, since it is freezing and not restarting, I think you probably overwrote some part of the Intro, in which case, the best thing to do is start again from your last working back-up, after all, Milotic is very close to the end of the Pokédex.

Ok Ive decided to just restart with my working backup and sometimes when I replace a sprite, multiple pointers get changed instead of the usual 1, and apart from Pikachu (where god knows how many pointers got changed at once though I got around this by changing the sprite with NSE 2.1), I haven't really had an issue with several pointers being changed at once since it usually only happens to 2/3/4 at a time most of the time if multiple pointers are changed, or has multiple pointers being changed already caused me some issues that I'm unaware of?

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2014
Yes, changing the sprites will change the ingame sprites. So, there is something which tells the game what sprites to load. I don't know where it is, but it does exist.

It is possible to create more banks and more maps. The settings for it are in the top menus.

There is also a tutorial by Tajaros in the tutorials section on importing maps.

I imported a map from one Rom to another, it seems to work fine now. Thanks alot for your help.

I gotta try making new maps and banks again, without overwriting other maps, or use a part of their data.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I have a question guys! If I expanded FR Rom to 32MB, how would pointers to new extended spaces look like?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
If I apply JPAN's hack to my ROM will it remove overworld scripts? Because I have used A-text to save space in my ROM.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
If I apply JPAN's hack to my ROM will it remove overworld scripts? Because I have used A-text to save space in my ROM.

Well, based on facts, it actually depends on where your "Overworld Script" is stored and where that event is stored. But here's a much simpler rational explanation:

99% - It will get deleted.
0.5% - It will not work right.
0.5% - It will not get deleted and it will work right.

REMEMBER: Apply JPAN's Hacked Engine first before doing anything else.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Hey, first post..I was wondering how I can edit the actual pokedex because YAPE cannot do this for Ruby. Is it possible to go outside of the 202 they give you?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hey, first post..I was wondering how I can edit the actual pokedex because YAPE cannot do this for Ruby. Is it possible to go outside of the 202 they give you?

Use GBA Pokemon Game Editor. Download it here.

You can use the built in Pokemon Editor to edit Pokemon Stats, etc.

You can also make it download a Special Program called Pokedex Data Editor. That can edit anything about the Pokedex.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Keep trying to compile my script.

#dynamic 0x900000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
cry 0x249 0x0
wildbattle 0x249 0x1E 0x8B
fadescreen 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
hidesprite 0x800F
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @1
= Lugia: Rawr.

And everytime I click compile script it'll run it then say runtime error 9 in the log window. Then won't allow me to do nothing else.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Keep trying to compile my script.

#dynamic 0x900000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
cry 0x249 0x0
wildbattle 0x249 0x1E 0x8B
fadescreen 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
hidesprite 0x800F
setflag 0x200
release
end

#org @1
= Lugia: Rawr.

And everytime I click compile script it'll run it then say runtime error 9 in the log window. Then won't allow me to do nothing else.

Open the folder where your XSE is stored. Find the "Settings.ini" or the Configuration File. Open it with Notepad. Find "AutoUpdateCheck=1". Change 1 or whatever number is written there with 0. There you go. It's not an error with script but an error with the .ini file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back