• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon CRYSTAL KAIZO: The Official Sequel to Blue Kaizo

How Kaizo was this?

• Definately Kaizo

Votes: 173 57.5%
  • Fairly challenging

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • Entertaining

Votes: 38 12.6%
  • Should've put level 200+ enemies

Votes: 59 19.6%
  • Unfair

Votes: 33 11.0%

• Total voters

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Tbh, the shiny dvs used are still actually higher than the original (apart from champions, but don't worry about that) And there are some shiny dvs that lead to a certain hidden power coverage (which is essential for certain bosses). I find coverage more important than max stats in bosses. And due to the games programming, you really can't put perfect dvs anyway; the bytes will cancel instead.

Does the shiny dvs reduce the difficulty? Only superficially and microscopically. There is monumentally more to this particular game's difficulty than simply max dvs, that you won't find in most difficulty mods.

And the shinies do make bosses stick out from every trainer apart from the poke maniacs (the only trainers in the game that acknowledges shinies and loves rare Pokemon, but they are much weaker than gym leaders)

Trust me, shiny dvs don't really make Crystal Kaizo any easier. Try it out, and you will see.

Well, in this case it's a great touch! Just a nitpick from mine.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2020
NEWEST UPDATE!

Team Rocket Executives and Scientists have the Team Rocket Battle music instead of the regular johto trainer battle music. This was one of the most difficult edits to make, but I think its worth it, since this was a glaring oversight in the original GSC.

Other edits includes:
-Purchasable Ethers, starting from Goldenrod. This will make long distance traveling more bearable, and the cost is respectable.
-One Rocket Executive had a replacement, fitting in the more "Fortress" theme.
-Route 29 has some shortcuts so that you can get by the mystery egg sidequest much faster.
-You can use bicycles in the goldenrod underground, speeding up your progress.
-Team Rocket's hideout also allows you to use Bicycles to speed things up.
-Beedrill's "Dream eater" has been removed (I don't remember how that was there in the first place...).
-The violet city ledge has an opening now, for quicker access to the Sprout Tower. Also protip, check out ruins of the alph before attempting Sprout tower, and get the hidden items.
- Some minor graphic updates.
I strongly encourage everyone to update if they haven't already.

JJK

The chase is about to begin...
Years
Hello, and first of all, congratulations. I was seeking a challenging Pokémon playthrough, having thoroughly enjoyed ShinyGold X way back in the day. This is, well, quite a bit over that, but what I was seeking nonetheless. I'm not a fan of Nuzlockes or anything that reduces my freedom; I much rather have inherent difficulty, and be given freedom to tackle it.

That said, I do have some criticisms related to just that. I have just finished a playthrough of Long War, an XCOM: Enemy Within mod that adds an enormous amount of depth to the game, beyond its difficulty and, obviously, length. Someone I entirely agree summarized the mod as such, comparing the base game to "living your whole life with just one leg": "Similarly, Long War brings to you all of the shiny toys, fits you with a brand new, top of the line, prosthetic leg and tells you that you must now run a 100m dash. As you turn to leave, it shoots your good leg with a Plasma Pistol, crits for 7, and you die."

Playing both at the same time, I couldn't help but make some comparisons on how both handle increased difficulty.

And what I feel from it is Crystal Kaizo is much a rawer experience, increasing the difficulty massively but not giving the player many tools to tackle it in return. It's a valid approach, but I'm just not sure it's the best. Granted, there are some significant ones, most notably purchasable stones and trade evos. And there are more Pokémon available early on, but... frankly, not enough, or at least not as good in my opinion. Granted, I am VERY picky when it comes to my team and won't train Pokémon I don't feel will stick with me for long - which is the reason I am currently in Goldenrod with a highly unbalanced team of a Ty, Amphy, Ursaring, Pupitar, and Scyther (and even then, I don't think I'll retain all of them). But one could do with a little more quality, if not variety, still. For example, been unsuccessfully checking every pond for a Staryu or Horsea, despite the unlikeliness of them being available with an Old Rod.

Personally, if one is to tackle a challenge like the one presented by Crystal Kaizo, I would equally add tools to allow the player to make their team the best it could possibly be. Allow them to bring a big gun to a big fight. I would thus add a plethora of purchasable TMs, in order to allow the player the same deep customization options available to the AI team. Similarly, I highly reduce the price of Vitamins, since EV allocation is important in a challenge like this.

Another issue deals with the route rearrangement: while it succeeds in its attempt to make it more challenging, it sometimes feels far too artificial. It makes me feel fenced in (sometimes literally, notably around Goldenrod). This is as much a gameplay issue as it is an aesthetic one: the Union Cave feels completely fine, as do forested areas or the Sprout Tower, given its based on the Tin Tower. However, Routes 34 and 35, as well as the National Park, just feel like they weave about for no reason. Just my two cents.

I am also rather weary about Kanto. I rate discovering Kanto was playable in the original Gold the single best moment in my gaming career, all that post game goodness. But with levels reaching 100 within Johto, I have to wonder how much will Kanto bring to the table in comparison.

Regardless, I congratulate you, it's been a blast. I'll just leave a few questions:

1- Is there a location Dex for the game somewhere? Couldn't find one myself.
2- Are the movepools themselves the same as vanilla?
3- Would move buffs implemented in latter generations be possible? I imagine not considering you kept a "pure" GSC experience, but, say, something like Fury Cutter's buff from 10 to 40 base damage would be fair even in that environment, I believe.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for this hack, I'm playing it and currently trying to beat the first gym leader :S
Btw, I found a little bug here in the Sprout Tower:
Spoiler:

EDIT: found two others minor bugs. The first one is gibberish text in Goldenrod City's Pokémon Center's second floor. The second one is that when you lose in Goldenrod City's checkpoint you don't respawn in the right place in front of the door.

Spoiler:

EDIT 2: Before Ecruteak City when you jump on this you land on the guy who's there on Sunday:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 27, 2015
Hey so, first off, I love this hack. I like the idea of not only skipping all the garbage with crappy moves like Growl and Tail Whip, but also that trainers are a serious challenge. Having a balanced team and being ready for surprise moves (like every trained Raichu in the world knowing Surf... :|) definitely forces me to flex my Pokemon skills and I'm having a great time. That and the ability to actually catch each and every one of all 251 Pokemon is damn cool. Kabuto and Omanyte in the Ruins of Alph?? Whaaaat!

That being said, though, my team's at about level 36 - most of my Pokemon have reached their final stages, and I'm worried about only one thing. After gaining over thirty levels, my Typhlosion has learned only a single move: Flame Wheel, and at a quite distant level 31. And he didn't learn Quick Attack either, like he did in the original. In a hack where Totodile apparently learns Crunch at like, level 10, and Chikorita starts with Razor Leaf, I can't help but feel that Typhlosion's moveset is kinda nerfed. I also saw another post on this thread about someone's Alakazam learning only three moves...would it be true to say that maybe some of the movesets are incomplete?

I'm highly curious because Typhlosion is one of my favorites, and I'd hate to see him learn next to nothing at all. Especially since he is a starter, and I'd figure he'd be outfitted with some of the best moves for his type. Will he learn anything early, or am I going to see Flamethrower at level 59?

Anyway, the hack's great, tons of fun, just a little worried about movesets. Hoping to hear some good news!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 25, 2022
Would you mind telling the list of revamped pokemon and moves?

I remember seeing notes on E Speed having 100 BP, and I heard Gligar had Gliscor stats or something

Years
  • Age 56
  • Seen Oct 1, 2017
What level do all trade evolution Pokemon evolve?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2021
Hi guys, is there any guide/summare of changes?
E.G. i saw someoene mentioning the magikarp lake pond...where is that?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 8, 2016
Good job, I really like the high difficulty of this hack, although it constantly makes me furious as hell^^ But I have 2 questions:
1. Will Typhlosion EVER learn Flamethrower? It's already at level 77 and its best fire move is still Fire Punch O_o; Maybe I evolved Quilava too soon?
2. Did you change the stats of some Pokemon? My Typhlosion wasn't able to one-hit the Tangela around Mahogany Town until level 70, despite their bad special defense and HP base.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2016
Fantastic job with this to whomever made it. I've been a pokemon game fan for years, only the first 2 gens though and this is amazing almost like a new game! It is EXTREMELY hard though even for a long time player. Learning about save states made some of the dungeons bareable. But to be honest I dont think i could have gotten through the game without cheating at some point, whether it was buying full restores early on or anything like that. I noticed hp ups don't actually raise any hp, was that done on purpose? I think the reason I got so frustrated is because i've gotten used to super speed on emulation and you cant rush through this game. I think if I was playing it for the first time your level increases would be perfect. It makes you spend more time in the grass for sure it would help find all the pokemon. Ive gotten to jasmine, but im cheating so i guess it doesnt count lol. But every video ive seen on youtube they cheat and buy full restores and max revives too! You need them in this game every trainer uses them too its brutal. I like the redesigns and the challenge though its a job well done.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 19, 2016
I know haunter and kadabra both evolve at 55, and graveler evolves at 42 not sure about the rest

Years
Seen theheatedmo do a nuzlocke of your blue kaizo and thekingnappy is doing a co-op with shofu. This one seemed to me quite interesting mainly because there are hardly any good gen 2 hacks. Will do this I get the time. Will there be an emerald kaizo as well????

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 28, 2016
I'm curious about the Odd egg I get from the old couple. Can it be all 6 Pokemon that you listed? Because mine hatched into Elekid. :/

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 28, 2016
My bad, didn't read the thing fully when I asked the question.

Anyways... In Pokemon Crystal Kaizo, is the EV or DM or whatever inputted into the game? Like do you have to battle certain type of Pokemon to gain a certain type of EV in their stats?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 10, 2016
On the route46 to catch the starters, i thought you could get all the starters, i cant seem for find bulbasaur here, ive spent like 1 hr + looking, can it be found here? Or where can you obtain?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 30, 2019
Alright, difficulty by general skill is one thing. But difficulty by not having enough resources is another. What I mean is this, while playing this Rom Hack, I and other people have noticed how Pokemon won't learn moves when they should. For example, I am just past Morty and have a Houndoom with the following moves

Houndoom Lv. 47
1. Ember
2. Bite
3. Roar
4. Pursuit
Not a single new move after learning Pursuit after lvl. 10(Or around there)
By now normally, it would have better moves such as Crunch and possibly Flame Wheel(you said you changed moveset's), and you should notice that NOBODY, would keep Roar on a Pokemon.
As stated earlier, I enjoy this mod, It's pretty damn good, I just have a problem with the fact that some people, including myself, are having problems with Pokemon learning new moves. And all I ask is if I can get a solution to this problem.

Also, whenever a Pokemon does learn new moves, it will stop once it reaches it's final evolutionary stage.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Pokemon not learning moves definitely happens, my Arcanine didn't learn Crunch but I saw trainers with Arcanines that had Crunch.

Why do vitamins not work at all? I use them in regular crystal and pokemon changed stats, but in Kaizo, even though I give my pokemon 10 of each vitamin their stats don't change, and it's not the "It won't have an effect" thing, they take the vitamins but their stats don't change at all.

Back