• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
Years
I don't often get much free time but I heard a lot of buzz about this hack and decided to check it out.

First of all, the maps are, well, not very developed based on the ones you can find in FireRed. You can see they are blatant quick edits in most cases for example Route 2, Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon etc. Consider giving them more of an overhaul to have it stand out as its own entity. In addition to that, there were quite a few tile errors and poor transitioning tiles.

Second of all, there's a lot of rival battles pretty much all over the place. I think at one point I took a step out of a cave and had a rival battle, right after 2 before and within the cave. Another area there was 2 battles within 2 steps of each other; a bit excessive if you ask me.

Thirdly and easily the worst, the levels of trainers are not balanced in any way shape or form, making the experience feel messy and quiet frankly off putting in many places. High level fights at the beginning to force the player to lose, then further ultra high level fights (level 20-30 before the first/second gym) do not come across well to me when trying to "enjoy" the game. Oh, and really, level 90s before the third gym? This part of the game needs some real attention and proper tweaking of levels of trainers and wild Pokemon to make things even remotely doable/playable.

To conclude, the experience I had wasn't what I expected after hearing about this.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
hey everyone. new to the forum. i literally just found out this hack about a month ago. it is extremely good. i just got a couple basic questions. 1. where can find a totodile? right now i have a lvl 52 Blastoise. but im still keeping an eye out for him. secondly does Pichu learn volt tackle. if so, when?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
@DarkRisingGirl
I know i'm late but i just beat Dark Pete, and the building after him isn't there???
can you Help?

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Hey all im stuck in dark rising !. After saving landorous from light where do i go or what do i do to progress ? thanks please help asap

pokemon123-

Potato Man
Years
Heeeeelloooooo!
Can anyone help me? I'm already in Salem and finished the battle with Light and the Two Siblings of V in the Mansion. Where should I go Now? \
PS Love the damn game

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 14, 2013
(sorry if this has been already asked) how do i download this onto an iphone, if possible? it doesn't seem to work when i try. i already have gba4ios and firered. are there any other steps i need to follow? thank you!

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
(sorry if this has been already asked) how do i download this onto an iphone, if possible? it doesn't seem to work when i try. i already have gba4ios and firered. are there any other steps i need to follow? thank you!

Well.. you need to patch it. I don't think mobiles support programs like Lips
to patch the IPS to the FireRed rom. Do it on computer then put it on memory card.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 28, 2014
Umm hey everyone.

This seems like a really nice and fun hack rom to play,but before i get the rom and started playing.
I have a few questions in mind and i hope it can be answered by the community :D
I can't seem to find the FAQ so.....

- Is there the Gen 4 special/physical split?
- Heard that Garchomp most moves that it can learn such as stone edge are special instead of physical?

Thanks for your time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 14, 2013
to patch the IPS to the FireRed rom. Do it on computer then put it on memory card.

oh, i see. thank you for the explanation uwu
then is there a way to download this onto my macbook air? i got the firered rom, the hack, and the lunar ips downloaded, but i'm not quite sure what to do next, as most tutorials i find to install the hack are used on a windows computer. thank you!

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
then is there a way to download this onto my macbook air? i got the firered rom, the hack, and the lunar ips downloaded, but i'm not quite sure what to do next, as most tutorials i find to install the hack are used on a windows computer. thank you!

Fire up lunar ips and click apply patch, then you search for the patch and click it and then it'll ask you to search for the rom and when you find it you click it and then it does the rest.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
They do. Android has patching app by LaZ and I do believe I saw someone here saying something about patching app for iOS as well.

Try to search more. As I mentioned I'm pretty sure I saw someone mentioning something about iOS patching programs/apps.
Still... PEOPLE WHY DO YOU USE APPLE?!

why is after i defeat entei brock will not gone and entei also
Just ignore them and continue.

~Shy

Excuse my grammar I'm Filipino
Years
Go to first page and download WildPokemonList.txt it will tell you where you have to capture

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 21, 2013
Might sound like a stupid question but what emulator can I use to play this? Currently I have visual boy advance and it doesnt work

Back