• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BW Tournament Team, help please!

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Basically as the topic says. First off, my EV training didn't go so great. The only one who turned out exceptional was Mienshao, while the others are lacking quite a bit. I'm trying out the Whimsicott approach, but at this point I'm thinking he's overrated now since he's too easy to take out (2 hits max).
Anyway, I really need some suggestions and who I should probably replace:

Mienshao: Adamant--379 Atk, 290 Spd, Inner Focus/Focus Sash
-Fake Out
-Rock Slide
-Drain Punch
-U-turn

Whimsicott: Impish--271 Def, 231 Sp Def, Prankster/Leftovers
-Substitute
-Taunt
-Encore
-Leech Seed

Zoroark: Timid--320 Spd, 297 Sp Atk, Illusion/Choice Specs
-Night Daze
-Flamethrower
-Grass Knot
-Focus Blast

Haxorus: Adamant--418 Atk, 258 Spd, Rivalry/Item: ?
-Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance

Darmanitan: Adamant--383 Atk, 286 Spd, Sheer Force/Life Orb
-Superpower
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-U-turn

Sigilyph(lvl 68, currently training): Timid--202 Spd, 207 Sp Atk, Magic Guard/Item: ?

-Ice Beam
-Psychic
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball

Need suggestions on what I can do to make Whimsicott run better or just anything else that's better in general WITHOUT using legendaries.

Hate to seem like I'm spamming or anything like that, but I need feedback ASAP.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
DD Haxorus would like a different set with better coverage:

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Rivalry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- DD
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Sigilyph also has a really cool niche moveset because of its great ability, Magic Guard. You should try this set, it's really effective and can turn an entire game around for you if they don't get off a supereffective attack fast enough.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Psycho Shift
- Roost

Basically you use Psycho Shift to burn physical attackers, use Cosmic Power to boost your defenses until no Pokemon can do very much damage to you at all and then spam Stored Power, which increases by 20 in Base Power for every boost you have under your belt. As you keep up your defenses with Cosmic Power, Stored Power will eventually become a very potent attack and you'll basically be able to tank hits from anything and smash them with Stored Power. Dark-types are immune to Stored Power, but the only one that isn't beaten by the burn from Psycho Shift iirc is Houndoom.

Good luck with your team!

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Thanks a ton. One last question. I gotta say, Whimsicott has become a favorite of mine and its obviously a useful Pokemon. However, is he really worth using? I know the setup that I have is great, but he can't take too many hits. Is it because his DEF is still low? If that's the case, I suppose its because he had poor IVs in DEF?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Thanks a ton. One last question. I gotta say, Whimsicott has become a favorite of mine and its obviously a useful Pokemon. However, is he really worth using? I know the setup that I have is great, but he can't take too many hits. Is it because his DEF is still low? If that's the case, I suppose its because he had poor IVs in DEF?

Well, Whimsicott wants a 252 HP / 252 Def EV spread iirc (someone correct me if that's faulty). Did you EV train him? A low Def IV could be at fault as well, though EVs make much much more of a difference. Whimsicott is indeed useful, but he's most valuable when given the chance to stop a setup through Encore and then SubSeeding everything. It's a niche, but Whimsicott is very effective with it, yes.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Well, Whimsicott wants a 252 HP / 252 Def EV spread iirc (someone correct me if that's faulty). Did you EV train him? A low Def IV could be at fault as well, though EVs make much much more of a difference. Whimsicott is indeed useful, but he's most valuable when given the chance to stop a setup through Encore and then SubSeeding everything. It's a niche, but Whimsicott is very effective with it, yes.

Well, I looked up this move set from serebii's 5th gen Pokemon of the Week section. They said that 252 DEF/248 Sp DEF/ 8 SPD was a good setup, that way Whimsicott's low HP meant a bitter recovery from Leech Seed, but I'm not so sure now. And yeah I did EV train him :/

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Well, I looked up this move set from serebii's 5th gen Pokemon of the Week section. They said that 252 DEF/248 Sp DEF/ 8 SPD was a good setup, that way Whimsicott's low HP meant a bitter recovery from Leech Seed, but I'm not so sure now. And yeah I did EV train him :/

Riiiiiiight. I wouldn't ever trust Serebii's Pokemon of the Week. I honestly think that the guy who runs that pulls sets and EVs out of his rear sometimes. He does solid sets occasionally but honestly I'd much rather rely on places like Smogon that are dedicated to competitive rather than a random freelance guy who writes up stuff for Serebii. I read it for laughs sometimes.

The spread you want is 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD @ Bold/Impish. It doesn't matter how much you're recovering from Leech Seed, it matters if your Sub can take a hit or not and that's that. Plus, Whimsicott isn't bulky enough to try to take hits from both ends of the spectrum.

Back