• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'd be interested, I have something of a fetish for Zelda timelines, and that's a rather attractive RP.

Don't stare at it too long or it'll think you're a pervert ;D

Anyways, when I initially created it, I feel I didn't do too great of a job. I want to make this something great, greater than it originally was.

Though here's the determining factor:

Excluding myself, there are only four spots.

More-so, those four spots are permanent.

This means that you should only join the RP if you can devote a character to it very loyally, without leaving or completely dying/going inactive during. It's saddening to say that the RP died shortly after birth, because two of the four players abandoned it very early.

1. I'll be recreating the Spirit Wolf character, that I will play.
  2. Mr. Mammoth, part of the original cast, is offered a reserve, to which I think he'll accept.
  3. PkMnTrainer Yellow, another part of the original cast, is also offered a reserve, though it is her choice to take it or not.
  4. The other two spots will be up for grabs, though they can only go to players who can loyally devote themselves into the RP.

It is beyond crucial that the players for the RP are devoted and loyal. A Small RP must keep together.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
Hey, question. Is there a limit to how detailed a sign up sheet can be? I mean, compared to the character sheets I'm used to, most of them around here are minimal. But I don't want to drive away possible members with some gigantic sign up. What do you all suggest?

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
There's typically no maximum size a sign-up sheet can be (aside from the post size limit), but most require some kind of minimum.

Basically, go all-out whenever you feel like it, but don't be afraid to have a lazy day every now and then.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
To be honest, I'd prefer a sign up sheet to be ~detailed~, y'know? It doesn't reeeeeally have to be an especially large sign up sheet, but the more detailed, the better. n___n Eh, but yeah, it doesn't really matter how large a SU is; again, it's the detail that counts, imo.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I start up my own RP. I don't know when that'll happen... But thanks for the input!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hey, question. Is there a limit to how detailed a sign up sheet can be? I mean, compared to the character sheets I'm used to, most of them around here are minimal. But I don't want to drive away possible members with some gigantic sign up. What do you all suggest?
There isn't one unless the GM explicitly states that there is a maximum.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Right now, I'm working on the mechanics - for example, how would the level system work, how would you get certain items... etc.

Let players decide their own level/levelling speed but put an overall cap on the progress?

So you're like Floor 1-5 caps at lv 20, etc. Otherwise it'll be a struggle to pick and choose when someone is gaining levels.

Reserve important items for boss fights/special rewards and list general 'drops' of the enemies in the area which the player can get at their leisure.

I think a SAO RP would be best left as open as possible, considering there is potentially so much to do.

Will non-battling skills be included? :D Smith/Chef/etc.?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm joining an SAO RP and nothing's gonna stop me. Granted, I'm only on episode 3, I can see great thing's being done with an RP of it, especially when placed in the right hands.

...Which reminds me, I wish there were a .//Hack RP; it's a shame CyberConnect2 really only makes Naruto games now, I'd love to see a new.//Hack game (the GU series was one of my favorite PS2 games, and Sign was a great anime as well), and an RP is the next best thing.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years
If anyone's interested, I've started development on my new upcoming RP. It's Kid Icarus, I haven't come up with the title yet.

It takes place 25 years after Hades' defeat. Viridi has once again sent her forces of nature against the humans. Reasons for this are the same; they neglect to take care of the earth very well, causing destruction on earth. RPers will get to take part as Fighters. They'll go on missions, enter tornaments, & get tons of weapons. Those winning matches & tornaments rack up points. Those with high points will get to take tougher missions, especially those of the forces of nature. Also, Hades' return is also near, & he'll be much stronger than last time.

If you're interested, you can PM me to reserve a spot.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
I'm working on "Zelda: Dimensional Link" as we speak. It's going to be very different from the original idea in most aspects, but in this case it is a good thing.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Just thought I'd check and see if anyone has suggestions to improve on my RP since it seems that it isn't doing much for most people by the looks of it.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=287928

I think all the spoilers are a bit unnecessary and annoying. But that's just me, liking good looking posts and wanting to be able to see everything without clicking a lot. I know others who use spoilers too.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@Red: Oohh... but larger RPs with a lot of text would be difficult to navigate without using anchors which requires some non-standard knowledge of PC's Advanced BBcode. I personally find spoilers to be the lesser of two evils.

@Gimmepie: Hmm... I'm going to go through each section and tell you what I might recommend off the top of my head.

My first reaction to the plot was to compare it to another RP on the site, however this was quickly dropped as I saw more differences and started to notice a much more plausible source of inspiration in it's place. At the end of the plot, I found myself wanting to ask if it was based on Total Drama Island.

Now, while not a bad concept, I don't know that it was played right. The Total Drama vibe is very, very strong and in this context I find myself asking "...How is this man getting away with this stuff? Most of what he's doing is /wildly/ illegal, especially if he's /tricking/ the players into it!". The reason for this is that the tone you're sending doesn't translate well between TV and RP. Suspension of disbelief is harder to maintain in RP, so if you run around pulling Bugs Bunny shenanigans and bending reality around the plot, people will become... disillusioned.

I might recommend adding a slight tone of seriousness/realism while still preserving the concept. If that had been me in your shoes, I would've added an explanation something along the lines of the tournament being used for scientific research purposes. While not necessarily remotely true, it provides a much more plausible cover, especially if there were wavers to be signed and whatnot. (Keeping in mind, realistically there are some things you can't legally sign away. There are laws to protect lazy people on some level.)

After reading the rules, I had no comment on them.

However, when I read The Island spoiler I immediately became aware of an evil team. My immediate reaction was "Why isn't this even remotely alluded to in the plot?". Remember that while surprise is good, you also need to be able to advertise to potential joiners, so this is something you want to at least mention in the one spoiler they're most likely to read. You want to play a careful balance between vagueness and secrecy so that readers have an idea of what they're getting into, but there's still plenty of room for surprises.

Reading the entry forms section my first thought was to rename it Sign Up, because that's simply the term we use here in the RPC and there's no real point in risking confusing people. My second thought was that it had no history field. An odd choice, and I'm not sure whether you had your own reasons for doing that. Seeing as the inclusion of a history field is ultimately subjective, I'd advise simply that without one, people can make up history on the fly and without your approval. Some might not use proper judgement, and this could impact the RP for those around them. (I am the son of Arceus, wielder of Ragnarok and life partner to <insert babe here>! I have chainsaw vision and am too cool to actually use my pokemon and/or am awesome enough to fight along-side them!)

While it's obviously plausible to simply ask them to stop, the damage done cannot be completely undone, so I personally would prefer to avoid the problem in the first place.

In short, the plot feels rather rushed and/or missing appropriate details considering the concept it's trying to describe.

Khawill

<3
Years
I've been working on this one for a while, it came from an idea I had last year that I had pitched to a friend. The link is here

It is much more casual, unless you want a story role then I'm going to be stricter (Though the story role hasn't been completely finished yet, it is only for the more active posters).

The idea came from a fiction I'm writing (its more of a manga that I'm trying to pitch to kids at my school who can draw) and I'd like a lil feedback (sorry for the wall of text spoilers but there's a lot of detail to it)
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7340518#post7340518

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back