• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Icy's Custom Cards

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Nah, they're still single-typed. If they were multiple types, the type symbol would be different (or there would be a note elsewhere on the card saying "This Pokémon is GLRW-type"). I mainly recolored the template so it would work better with the artwork as well as to give off a "different kind of card" look.

I've played around with a lot of glitches, but few of them would actually inspire me to make a fake based on them. One of my favorites was a glitch Pokémon in Red Version that shared the same Pokédex number as Ho-oh. Its cry was the same sound as "Sing," which I thought was funny, since Ho-oh was based on a phoenix, sometimes referred to as a song bird. Also, I declare I could sometimes see a bird-like head in that glitchy block of a back sprite. It was terrible at battling, however, and its Super-Effective attacks never registered right. I taught it Pay Day, which was somehow Super-Effective against Pidgey. o_O

I agree with you on the first one. That's one of the reasons I didn't like it and decided to make the updated version.

I'll start making spoilers for my new set soon. I'll probably be posting them instead of images for the next... however long. I could use feedback, as card effects are definitely my weak point. Suggestions are also welcome. I've updated the set list to show how many abilities, attacks, and effects each card will have.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
UPDATE: Now available in Japanese!

alexpoke_fake_card__japanese__by_karite_kita_neko-d69s1pw.png

Why did I make it a different type? Because the Japanese text didn't look right on the Water blank. I'm not really sure why.

Years
Ohsnap completely forgot to comment on these!

Alexpoke reminds me of Bill from the first gen games and Pokemon Special/Adventures. Human face, Pokemon body!

Also, is it just me, or are the colors within the art piece darker on the Japanese Psychic blank than they do on the English Water blank?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've been neglecting the thread as well. ^^'

I can see that. It was fun reading his dialog in the manga.

Yeah, the Japanese version is darker. I made the colors more vivid. It makes it look nicer in print.

Speaking of printing, my printer decided to be nice and let me print it, despite having an "empty black cartridge." The last time I tried to print black, everything that was supposed to be black faded out until it was invisible. I guess letting the cartridge sit in there for a month or so let some of the ink settle back down in it or something. I doubt I'll be able to get much more from it, though.

I wanted to make it non-holo, like the majority of old Japanese promos, but I didn't have any glossy paper (anything else I have would bleed), so I made it holo. I used the foil from a Hidden Legends alternate holo and added a fireworks laminate because it looked too plain with just the Energy symbols foil.

The image is kind of big, so click here to view it.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
That's why real holo cards only have backgrounds and such holo. Unfortunately, due to not having a printer capable of using white ink, I can only make selective parts of a card non-holo by putting white paper between the foil and desired areas, but it doesn't usually work well unless the card is a jumbo. It was even harder to see the card when it was just the Hidden Legends alternate foil, so that's another reason I added the fireworks laminate (the extra layer make the foil a little milky, which made more of the graphics show up).

Like I said, I wanted to make it completely non-holo, but I take what I can get. I don't think it's too bad. It kind of reminds me of those foil sticker cards from the late 90's. At some angles, you can't even tell that it's holo.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
UPDATE: I still haven't drawn anything new, so I vectored a sketch from about 6 years ago.

[Image removed -- updated in post #50]

Translation:

Uncomfortable Sudowoodo LV.23 HP60 {F}

Mimicry Pokémon : Length 1.7 meters, Weight: 38 kilograms

[Pokémon Ability] Uneasiness
As long as this Pokémon is your Battle Pokémon and your opponent's Battle Pokémon is a {W} Pokémon, this Pokémon becomes too scared to attack or retreat. This Ability cannot be stopped by any kind of effects.

{C} Deceive
This Pokémon is pretending to be a tree, so it just sits there and doesn't move. What a lame skill!

Weakness: {W}
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: 3

This Pokémon hates water. One has to wonder why it doesn't pretend to be something less-likely to get watered.

Illustrated by Alex "KKN" Bowen (This card cannot be used in official tournaments) No. 185

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
The top part of the texture is supposed to be a bit more orange (like the bottom of the card), but I wasn't able to recolor very well. This one is a bit more orange, but still not as much as the bottom. Also, have one poorly-edited into a toploader.

uncomfortable_sudowoodo_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d6dhwxl.png
url_zps8b8ea3b0.jpg

Something else that may be throwing it off is the type icon. I made it glossier and quite a bit darker than the official symbol. I based all of the type orbs in the June update of my Japanese Neo blanks on the classic Fire orb, so they have a bit of a glassy look.

Last edited:
Years
The majority of what makes it seem out of place is probably the type icon being so much darker than normal with the card being slightly off color. The re-done one looks much more convincing in the top portion of the card.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
UPDATE: Here's a better toploader edit attempt of the Sudowoodo card.

[Image removed (broken link)]

Also, here's a card that I didn't illustrate myself. Many thanks to Hugo-H2P @deviantART for the artwork of my Fakemon, Pantan.

Pantan_card_zpsed306a78.png

Pantan was based on one of my cats that died a few years ago, but this card was also made in memory of his son that died last year.

Last edited:
Years
How could you damage that wonderfully useless Sudowoodo? :'(
Seriously, the redone toploader edit attempt is much better than the previous. Looks almost convincingly realistic.

Pantan is quite a convincing fake there.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
How could you damage that wonderfully useless Sudowoodo? :'(
Seriously, the redone toploader edit attempt is much better than the previous. Looks almost convincingly realistic.

Pantan is quite a convincing fake there.

Don't worry, it's just the sleeve and toploader that are scratched up. I actually ran over the toploader a few times with my rolly chair to add some dents and scratches to make it look more realistic. The card itself is still mint condition (so perfect that it hasn't even been printed). lol

Thanks! I attempted to edit it into a toploader as well:

Pantan_scan_zps38f78022.jpg

nice cards OP :-)

Thanks! :)

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Isn't it?

And that's after I tried to dull it down. I completely agree, though. It has been fixed (I used my older Psychic type orb).

UPDATE: Evil Tree

Pestiloak_spoof_zpsbc770a33.png

An Ooyama-style card for Pokémon Acanthite (a fan game project/site) featuring their Fakemon, Pestiloak. The reason the "texture" looks a bit dull and teal-ish is because the Acanthite cards have different textures and colors for dual-type Pokémon (such as Grass/Ghost) and official types not in the TCG (such as Bug, Poison, etc.), though they still use the official type icons (with the exception of their own Light and Virus types).

I'm hoping I'll be able to make some decent artwork soon so I can give these spoof cards a break.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
UPDATE: My first fake card in nearly 2 months...

mew_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d6movds.png

Also, here was my entry for the contest a while back...

fan_rotom_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d6fdnlx.png

BTW, did the contest winner, or was there not enough participation to even judge?

EDIT: Here's another card...

magneton_fake_card_by_karite_kita_neko-d6n3uom.png

Last edited:
Years
At a glance, these all are quite stunning.

As for the contest, I've just been too busy to tally up the votes because I've been doing quite a bit of moving and traveling. also I forgot to request for someone to make an emblem for the prize

Back