• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Oh, thanks again for the answers! I guess I'll stick with FireRed. The main reason I've chosen FireRed is for the pictures that happen when we enter an area, I have great ideas of how to make use of them to get the player further into the plot.

I noticed thought that, apparently, you need MIDI files to make custom musics. The music I want to insert is MP3 thought (and worse: downloaded from Youtube!), yet there exists no MP3 to MIDI converter (sad, but not surprising seeing how MIDI works).

So I'm guessing one has to recreate manually the music in MIDI format. Problem is, I'm no good in music, that is one thing I unfortunately cannot do myself. Do you know any simpler solution? Or will I have to find someone able to work it out?

Also, still going on with musics: How are the battle musics chosen in battle? Is it automatically chosen depending on Trainer classes?

It really depends on what kind of song you're putting in. If it's a completely custom home-made song, or by an obscure artist, then you need to make the .midi manually. If it's a song by a famous artist, chances are someone's already done the hard work, and searching for it online should bring up some stuff. Alternatively, this site has a ton of .midi files from tons of games and platforms. The best part is, you can snag any music under the GameBoy Advance section, and it'll be instantly ready to be put in-game, since it'll already have the correct number and types of tracks that the GBA requires.

I believe the music is based on Trainer Class, but I'm not 100% sure.

redriders180

Years
I found the table, but how to repoint it to free space? Sorry for being a noob

You start off by copying the entire table using Ctrl+C, and then paste-writing it to some free space. To clarify, paste-writing isn't usually Ctrl+V, it's a different set of keys. With HxD, the combination is Ctrl+B for a paste-write.

After you paste that into free space, take note of where you put it. For the sake of this tutorial, we'll be using 0x800000. Also write down where the original table was. Reverse both of these pointers by splitting them into pairs of two bytes, and reading it backwards. Finally, add 08 to the end (800000 becomes 00 00 80 08, for instance). Now using the Find/Replace tool in your hex editor, search for all instances of the original pointer, reversed, and replace it with your new pointer, reversed. And that's usually it when it comes to repointing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
Hey guys, I've been editing my rom and I've gotten to the point where I've finished editing maps for the later cities in the game, and I want to know what people usually do to test the later maps without having to wait until you play through the whole game.

And another thing. Is it possible to delete maps that are already made? Cause I don't want some of the ones already in my rom, and I also make mistakes and dont want the maps I maade myself and then they just sit there...

I usually just use warp points from the beginning town to whatever town I want to go to, or set all the world map flags, and give myself something with Fly. Of course, it's no alternative to playing through the entire game. You have to do that eventually, so why not now?

Advance Map doesn't have a conventional way to delete maps, and frankly, it isn't necessary. Idle maps just sitting there never hurt anything, and if anything, they can be used for plenty of other things as well. Just keep all the maps where they are, just in case :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I'm just learning how to use map scripts, and when I walk into the house in question the first time, it works fine (check flag and hidesprite if flag not active). However, every subsequent time I walk in the script doesn't run at all. In Advance map it's set as Script type 02, is there a setting I change to make it run every time I enter the building?

What kind of script is this?

If you want it happen all over again try setmaptile script.... :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Yeah, well, I did the maps before all of my additions of new pokemon and all that, and I've
heard people say not to play and save the game while working on it, but doing the awrp thing sounds good, thank you!

I just like to keep it organized, and seeing the extras there that I'm not even using kinda bugs me, but I guess I'll just start using them right away so I can feel like they've been useful, haha.

redriders180

Years

Usually, in a level script of this type, you set a variable to make it so it will run only once. Which variable is determined in the header:

Spoiler:

To make run multiple times, you need to make a level script or a walk-on script outside of whatever building you are entered, to set that variable to be equal to whatever value is specified in the header (next to the "Flag" value). The level script will run whenever the variable specified (0x4086 in my case) is equal to that value (0000 in my case).

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

Level script type 03 will activate every time you enter the map. Types 05 and 07 will do the same but also activate when you close the menu. You do not have to associate a variable/ value combination with them so you could just use a checkflag within the script if you wanted to.

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
If I used any script type other than 02 the screen went black and the game froze.

redriders180

Years
Thanks, but I still couldn't get it to work right. I had the flag set to the save setvar variable, but wasn't getting anywhere. I had tried a trip script outside the building previously, but ended up either crashing or not working.

I have removed the map script and redone it as a trip script inside the building, with the sprite in question just out of sight when it vanished instead. It functions but it's not quite the way I imagined it.

My new problem is that if I set wild Pokemon encounters to be Unowns, the game freezes every time a wild encounter starts. It doesn't matter what level the unowns are, and if I change the species it works fine, just the Unowns freezing the game.

I should've read your original post better, I hadn't noticed what your intended script was. Type 02 is more suited for events that occur when you're finished warping into a map, with messages and applymovement-type scripts. If you just want to hide a sprite, type 03 is a completely viable option.

Edit: I suppose I deserved that...got Ninja'd :D

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
Doom Pokeball!!!

I have a small problem if any one would help i would be very glad i want to change the pokeballs the comes in the beginning of a trainer battle
82817393.png

and i found them on Unlz-gba
65126308.png

but when i edit them and write to rom and i test it they are still found and didn't change what have i done wrong?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I have a small problem if any one would help i would be very glad i want to change the pokeballs the comes in the beginning of a trainer battle
82817393.png

and i found them on Unlz-gba
65126308.png

but when i edit them and write to rom and i test it they are still found and didn't change what have i done wrong?
In theory, the same pokeball graphics can be written "unlimited" times in rom so if you've changed graphics of a pokeball, it doesn't necessarily mean it will affect the game in any way. But there is no good reason for the game's creators to do this so likely that you've accomplished to do, is to change pokeball graphics that are loaded sometime during the gameplay but not in battle.

Years
So I've applied JPAN's patch, followed metapod23's Overworld inserting tutorial and everything works well, EXCEPT whenever the new overworld table is loaded (when the overworld with the unknown 0001 is loaded), the rain sprite gets completely removed and replaced with white rectangles, like so:

B6XGE.png

I checked the Tile Viewer, and it seems when the overworld is loaded, the rain image is replaced with just... black.

YYf66.png

The rain works whenever the overworld hasnt been loaded or isnt accessing the new table.

Why does this happen, is there a way of fixing it, etc?

edit

Okay, so it appears when the Overworld that uses the new table is loaded, data at 06010380 on the memory viewer through to 061B2380 is replaced with free space (FF). That massive chunk contains the image data for some of the footprint graphics and weather graphics, so whatever is setting that big chunk to FF temporarily...I hate. Would anyone know what it is that is causing this and how to prevent it? It's really, really frustrating.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2014
FR/LG Town Map editing?

How do you edit the town map/fly screen in FR/LG, so as to correspond to an edited overworld?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
A few Amap question.
How come when my character enters a cave I made, he is facing the exit?
Also, I changed the weather in cerulean city to sunny with clouds on the water, but when the coouds go by, they also continue on some other tiles as well, how can I fix this?

redriders180

Years
A few Amap question.
How come when my character enters a cave I made, he is facing the exit?
Also, I changed the weather in cerulean city to sunny with clouds on the water, but when the coouds go by, they also continue on some other tiles as well, how can I fix this?

The way the clouds are programmed are they have a priority level of 3, which is the lowest priority. This basically means they only show up on the bottom layer of tiles with the background byte "block is covered by hero". To fix it, you need to adapt your tiles accordingly. It's such a finnicky weather that it's rarely used, even in the original games.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Update: I think I found the "The End" graphic in unLZ, but i can't find the credits, even in A-Text. Is it even possible to edit the credits in FireRed?

Also, I'll restate my other question. Is it currently possible to remove the part in the intro where Oak introduces your Rival and you name him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back