• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Minor qualms with Pokémon Essentials

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
This thread is for detail-oriented people. If you know of any minor oddities or strange behaviors in Pokémon Essntials (Particularly, small cosmetic features or little things that don't crash or hurt gameplay, and aren't really worthy of a bug report), this thread is all about listing these issues out so they can be fixed in the future.

Here is the list as we have it so far:

Visual issues:

• When using an HP Up, the Pokémon's new HP stat doesn't appear until the party screen refreshes(Unlike the main games)
  • When picking up items, the Pokéball doesn't disappear until after the textbox is finished displaying. In the base game, the Pokéball disappears immediately, unless the player fails to get the item.
  • When walking into a solid object, the player just stands still versus having their sprite walking forward in that direction but not moving. There's a reason they put this in the official games; it's basically a psychological effect. It makes the player feel like they're moving forward and not too confined, even when not being able to actually move forward.
  • When using a healing item on a Pokémon, the HP bar doesn't animate. It just jumps to the new health value.
  • There's no shadow under the player when jumping off a ledge.
  • The character sprite jumps pretty darn high it seems.
  • There's no 'battle overlays'. (ie. the bits of grass and water droplets that fly across on screen when a battle starts)
  • The surfing sprites cycled through the 'walking' animations for the charset when sitting idle in the games.
  • The default tileset for the kit is very incomplete (I.e, many tiles are lacking collision or priority, etc.)
Sound:

• When using an item on a Pokémon that heals HP, manipulates EVs, or manipulates PP, there is no sound that plays.
  • The PC sounds are far too loud.
  • There's a sound for fleeing, but it's never used when actually fleeing.*
  • There's no sound for the EXP bar rising.
  • The pokémon storage system has no sounds for interactions. (The PC itself does, though.)
  • There's no sound for purchasing an item.
  • There's no 'ping' sound for each pokéball when a trainer battle starts and the pokéballs showing the pokémon count move across the screen.
  • There is no sound indicating low HP in battle.
Technical:

• When consuming an item from the bag in the party screen, the item number doesn't update until the bag screen is loaded again and the fade in is finished.
  • There is no scene for a hatching egg, simply a text box.
We've got a good list going here, but if you can think of anything that's not here yet, please post it in this thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'm no coder so I'm not sure about the first three, but I know for a fact it's pretty easy to change the latter two points and have done so myself. All you need to do for the Pokeball thing is change the event to make the ball disappear first and then run the item gain script. You could use audacity on the PC sound effects to make them quieter period or I'm sure there would be a way to alter the volume in the code. You just have to examine the code, figure out how it works then make some little alterations. Give it a try.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I'm no coder so I'm not sure about the first three, but I know for a fact it's pretty easy to change the latter two points and have done so myself. All you need to do for the Pokeball thing is change the event to make the ball disappear first and then run the item gain script. You could use audacity on the PC sound effects to make them quieter period or I'm sure there would be a way to alter the volume in the code. You just have to examine the code, figure out how it works then make some little alterations. Give it a try.

I am well aware these are easy fixes, many of them are. What this thread is about is documenting issues like that that happen in the base kit.

I'm glad somebody made a thread like this, I've got a few!

• When walking into a solid object, the player just stands still versus having their sprite walking forward in that direction but not moving. There's a reason they put this in the official games; it's basically a psychological effect. It makes the player feel like they're moving forward and not too confined, even when not being able to actually move forward.
  • When using a healing item on a Pokemon, the HP bar doesn't animate. It just jumps to the new health value.
  • There's a sound for fleeing, but it's never used when actually fleeing.*
  • There's no sound for the EXP bar rising.
  • The pokemon storage system has no sounds for interactions. (The PC itself does, though.)
  • There's no sound for purchasing an item.
  • There's no shadow under the player when jumping off a ledge.
  • There's no 'ping' sound for each pokeball when a trainer battle starts and the pokeballs showing the pokemon count move across the screen.
  • There's no 'battle overlays'. (ie. the bits of grass and water droplets that fly across on screen when a battle starts)
  • The surfing sprites cycled through the 'walking' animations for the charset when sitting idle in the games.

There's also a lot of sound related ones, and I recognize that it's probably not the focus, but if someone could script these, I could probably rip the sounds myself.

Wow! Thank you for a big contribution! I'll add these to the first post!

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Not trying to be offensive or anything but lol......

Anyways here's a few:
The incomplete tilesets.... I hate it when I use a tile but then I see that I go right through....
Last time I checked the regular dirt auto tile didn't work....
lastly the Install Fonts thing.... (really get's on my nerves enough to remove it....)

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Minor Qualm with this thread: Can't most or all of these just be in the suggestion thread?
In short, no.

Long answer: The idea of this thread is to list, and in doing so, bring attention to all the minor issues with essentials. The suggestions thread is about making suggestion such as ideas.

So unless you consider it "I SUGGEST you fix this minor error"(Which is quite rude), no, it does not go in suggestions. Arguably these could fit into bug & Error Reporting, but it would simply clutter that thread as these are all small cosmetic bugs generally that don't warrant being posted there.

lastly the Install Fonts thing.... (really get's on my nerves enough to remove it....)
What about it? That's very vague, and the installer should be there so that the fonts will appear correctly.

I used the dirt auto tile recently and it seems to work unless I'm missing something.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Here is some of my input:

• The events inside reflect-able water "like a male swimmer" shows the reflection sprite a tile under it, and not exactly under it like the game character.

• There is no reflect animation for the pokeball, even though there is a ThrowAndDeflect method.

• For special Pokeballs, there is no way to call an animation for when its released, like dusk ball in HG/SS or B/W.

• A way to change the image of the player when he is on a bike and idle.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Has anyone here mentioned that there is no apparent way to specify the gender or ability of pokemon used by trainers? I really want to have a strong AI whose movepool kind of takes advantage of those two attributes.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
In short, no.

Long answer: The idea of this thread is to list, and in doing so, bring attention to all the minor issues with essentials. The suggestions thread is about making suggestion such as ideas.

So unless you consider it "I SUGGEST you fix this minor error"(Which is quite rude), no, it does not go in suggestions. Arguably these could fit into bug & Error Reporting, but it would simply clutter that thread as these are all small cosmetic bugs generally that don't warrant being posted there.

Essentially you are pointing out things that bother you that can be fixed. These might as well be suggestions that should be posted in the suggestions thread. I see no reason to differentiate a new thread and the suggestions thread when it comes to this topic. Topics have overall goals, and I cannot help but feel the overall goal of this is to eventually get these things adjusted, warranting these as suggestions...

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Has anyone here mentioned that there is no apparent way to specify the gender or ability of pokemon used by trainers? I really want to have a strong AI whose movepool kind of takes advantage of those two attributes.

This isn't a minute nitpick, this is actually a decently important feature, and SHOULD go under suggestions. At least, it seems that way to me.

Essentially you are pointing out things that bother you that can be fixed. These might as well be suggestions that should be posted in the suggestions thread. I see no reason to differentiate a new thread and the suggestions thread when it comes to this topic. Topics have overall goals, and I cannot help but feel the overall goal of this is to eventually get these things adjusted, warranting these as suggestions...
I don't approve of sharing private messages, but here:
Maruno said:
The small details. In that case I'll be needing lists, which you could make a thread about.

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I don't approve of sharing private messages, but here:

114_face-palm-star-trek.gif

You still seem to be misunderstanding what a suggestion really is. To avoid confusion, which you seemed to smite down so vigilantly when another member posted something, you should have set a mission statement in detail about the intent of the thread. The OP reads as if you are just collaborating something to suggest for a future update. Hiding the fact that it is apparently something that it is something for a planned update.

I will apologize for reading over the OP and only posting a remark in regards to your response to another member. But rather than showing what I took as an aggressive correction, perhaps you should take it as a sign you should read over your original post for clarity issues.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
I will apologize for reading over the OP and only posting a remark in regards to your response to another member. But rather than showing what I took as an aggressive correction, perhaps you should take it as a sign you should read over your original post for clarity issues.
That works I suppose, I'll revise the first post when I get a chance.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
This thread is perfectly fine to be here. There's a difference between offering suggestions about what should be changed and a discussion on things that bother you about essentials. This is a less immediate response, and I'm sure those working on the kit will look at this thread in their spare time to see if there's any small issues they can tackle through here. This thread also allows users to post their qualms without having to make a suggestion out of it.

Worldslayer, first of all, please do not say what should be where. Report it if you feel a thread should be closed. Furthermore no thread has an "overall goal", these are topics. I don't ask my friends how their day was to achieve an overall goal. So please, in future just keep on point. That goes for the other members who have also gone off the point here.

So back to the discussion at hand guys. However IceGod, you could just clarify the thread topic a little, which is what Worldslayer was trying to suggest. I recommend you do that to avoid any further spam and off-topic posts. Thanks guys.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
I thinks that Maruno will update to Gen IV ball throw, but if you wish I made some custom ones like Dusk Ball.

There also the egg hatching scene (I don't know if you can consider it minor), and the annoying "beep beep" buzzer when the pokémon HP is red.

Attachments

• ball12_0.png
    ball12_0.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 230
  • ball12_1.png
    ball12_1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 229
  • ball12_2.png
    ball12_2.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 229

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Pokéball "animation" when open, something like the seals, but for gen 3 games where seals don't exists. There is one for each ball, the Nest Ball one have hearts, Net Ball a net, etc...

EDIT:
No sound for learning a move.
No level up sound when the pokémon increase a level but isn't active on battle.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
No animation for rolling ladder and wrong for ladders (nonstep).
In PokéCenter missing a little animation on pokéballs, nurse movement and flash in sign.
The player doesn't spin when use Teleport, Dig or Escape Rope.
In the hand on box the shadow and the movement when switch two pokémon.
No song for increase a level or learning a move by level.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
No animation for rolling ladder and wrong for ladders (nonstep).
In PokéCenter missing a little animation on pokéballs, nurse movement and flash in sign.
The player doesn't spin when use Teleport, Dig or Escape Rope.
In the hand on box the shadow and the movement when switch two pokémon.
No song for increase a level or learning a move by level.
What's a "rolling ladder", and what does that whole sentence mean?

What nurse movement is missing? I presume the missing Poké Ball animation means showing the Balls being placed onto the healer.

What does your fourth sentence mean (the "hand on box" one)?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
What's a "rolling ladder", and what does that whole sentence mean?

What nurse movement is missing? I presume the missing Poké Ball animation means showing the Balls being placed onto the healer.

What does your fourth sentence mean (the "hand on box" one)?
Sorry for bad explanation.

Escalator. Try to use the one at Pokécenter that you can see.

The "Thank You" japanese head moviment.

Use the pokémon storage, the hand that can pick pokémon in box haven't a shadow.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Sorry for bad explanation.

Escalator. Try to use the one at Pokécenter that you can see.

The "Thank You" japanese head moviment.

Use the pokémon storage, the hand that can pick pokémon in box haven't a shadow.
I see. Escalators are tough, and I haven't been able to care enough to try getting it to work.

As soon as the nurse has the actual nurse charset, I'll add the head bobbing in.

The hand icon in the storage screen hasn't had a shadow in HGSS or in BW. I know this thread is for "minor qualms", but I'm not sure I would add a shadow in anyway.

Back