• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you were a Gym Leader

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
If you were a gym leader, what type would you specialize in and what team would you have? (bonus: what would your badge be, and what would the gym look like?)
I think I'd either be one of three types:
1) Water: Kingdra, Whiscash (or Gastrodon), Mareanie, Starmie, Mantine, Kingler maybe, the Gym would be an aquarium
2) Flying: I like the idea of a team with all the super colorful birds/pseudobirds: sigilyph, chatot, hawlucha, Xatu, Archeops and Braviary, but I'd be a pretty easy gym leader to beat. I guess Altaria, Pelipper and Oricorio Pom-pom style would give me some resistance against flying-type weaknesses. The gym would be a forest
These would be my faves, but I could also see a grass type gym with Ludicolo, Cradily, Ferrothorn, Breloom, Whimsicott and Vileplume, with the gym being a huge greenhouse.
What would yours be?

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Ghost type, ofc!
My team of 6 would be Doublade, Rotom (normal form), Drifblim, Golurk, Shedinja and Spiritomb (my "ace") - I'm going for an "inorganic" theme, here. Doublade could have an Eviolite, and Shedinja would need to have a frustrating strategic moveset - Sucker Punch and Will-O-Wisp are shoe-ins.
My gym would be a dark, abandoned-looking location (perhaps even underground) where trainers pop out at you from the shadows; I would be found in the deepest, most holed-up room, just casually hanging out. I'd give out the "Pall Badge". :)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Water type gym leader, with Lanturn, Quagsire, Politoed, Blastoise, Floatzel, and Walrein

The Gym would resemble a beach, with the weaker trainers on the shore, and the stronger trainers in the water.

Years
I'd be a normal type leader, and have pokemon such as eevee, smeargle and audino. Normal types actually don't have much weaknesses aside from fighting and are pretty immune to ghost types.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'm torn between Ice and Normal. I prefer Ice-Type moves, but more of my top-favorite Pokémon are Normal-Type.

Ice (Gym #3): Vanillite, Sneasel, Wartortle*
Ice (Rematch): Vanilluxe (or Lapras), Glaceon, A-Sandslash, Weavile, Wartortle @Eviolite, Froslass

*Wartortle knows Ice Beam

Normal (Gym #4): Meowth x2, Lickitung, Dunsparce
Normal (Rematch): Persian, Furret, Girafarig, Porygon2 (or Porygon-Z), Lickitung @Eviolite, Dunsparce

I'm thinking that the Ice Gym would be a maze of icy mirrors that never reflect what's exactly in front of them, tricking you into traps and Trainer battles. The last Badge here is what I used back when I focused on Ice-Types. (I'm still considering names, but I've formerly called it the Tempice, Winter Diamond, and Frost Badge.)

Normal Gym might be something like an animal shelter (or a house overrun with Pokémon) where you have to guide Pokémon in the overworld to switches in order to open doors and progress through the Gym. I haven't made a Normal-Type Badge that I feel would suit the team yet.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I would be a unique Gym in that I'd specialize in two types as opposed to just one. The two types that come to mind would be Fire and Grass due to both benefiting from the move Sunny Day. Furthermore I'd be a double battle Gym with a Fire type and Grass type combo. I haven't decided on a team but I'd name my badge the Golden Sun badge in lieu of my use of Sunny Day.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hmmm... Regardless of what type I'd focus on, I'd specialize in dual typed pokémon who play around their versatility.

I'm fascinated by bug type pokémon (despite hating bugs in real life haha) and I'd love to have a gym with them being the 7th or 8th.

I'd definitely have a shiny Ribombee because it's ribombae <3 It'd be mostly Fairy-based.
743.png

I might use Galvantula or Vikavolt as Electric focus.
596.png

Volcarona is a given Fire-type c: Super cool and cuddly
637.png

Heracross would be my Fighter.
214.png

I'd make Mega Scizor my champion and standard sweeper when I think challengers are easy to beat, hehe.
212-m.png

And I'd probably want to keep a Surskit around as a cute lil mascot for some semi-Water coverage but also mostly because it's super cute ^^
283.png

Years
2 ideas spring to mind with this.

(1) Ground gym leader:

Team: Mudsdale, Gligar, Piloswine, Gastrodon

Team (Rematch): Mudsdale, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Gastrodon, Garchomp, Torterra

Team (World Tournament): Gliscor, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Excadrill, Palossand, Hippowdon

Badge: The badge would be triangular with jagged sides and portray the futuristic city encased in earth.

Gym design: It would take place in a futuristic city under the ground which has almost finished being built. The gym challenge would involve the challengers roaming the whole city (identifiable by gym issued overalls) on a scavenger hunt for key cards from some of the builders and excavators. After the challenger has gathered all the key cards, they may descend to the deepest layer of the city where they can challenge me.

(2)Fairy gym leader:

Team: Klefki, Shiinotic, Mr. Mime, Clefairy (eviolite), Mimikyu

Team (Rematch): Klefki, Shiinotic, Mr. Mime, Clefable, Mimikyu, Mega Mawile

Team (World Tournament): Klefki, Azumarill, Togekiss, Clefable, Mimikyu, Mega Mawile

Badge: The badge would look like a typical Gorse blossom.

Gym design: The gym does not have a concrete location. The challenger must stand in the centre of a Stonehenge-esque structure and lay the badges they have on an alter in front of them. If they have the ones required, then they get transported to a nightmarish parallel world and they must free captive spirits from the fairy pokemon who inhabit it. (An added feature is that all the fairy pokemon you fight look evil, like Lusamine's pokemon in the Nihilego dimension).

Last edited:

Kyepha

~K Y E P H A~
Years
If I were a Gym Leader, I'd specialize in Water-type Pokemon,
Sharpedo | Clawitser | Bruxish | Ludicolo - would be my team!
My badge would be called the Rapid Badge which would be a circular badge with waves that extend from one side to another, in the style of the traditional kowhaiwhai designs.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I think i'd want to specialize in fairy types since i'm like the girliest girl ever lol

Sylveon, Comfey, and Floette would make a cute team for me :3

I really like the whole concept of 'flower like pokemon that are fairy type and not part grass'. Its interesting to me.

It kind of makes flowers seem like much more than just plant parts. Ya know? XD

As for Sylveon....

Sylveon is just my all time favorite fairy type in general :3 Annnnd the first pokemon I ever named after Korrina xD <3

Last edited:
Years
I would soooo be a flying type gym leader!

My gym would be at the top of a large, vivid skyscraper, with extremely windy conditions.

My team would consist of:

Togekiss:
Dazzling Gleam
Safeguard
Roost
Air Slash

Emolga:
Encore
Aerial Ace
Agility
Spark

Drifblim:
Stockpile
Substitue
Pain Split
Acrobatics

Pidgeot:
Roost
Brave Bird
Quick Attack
Steel Wing

The badge that trainers can earn after defeating me (if they actually managed to) would be called the Floating badge, and it's design concept would be: A heart-shaped pink gem surrounded by white angel wings.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Nov 2, 2022
I would have to pick a dual type gym. Since there are so many types, I would like to see a gym or two have dual types. My badge would be a Snowflake with tips that are like lightning.

Ice / Electric

Luxray , Aurorus, Electivire, Frosslass, Mamoswine, Galvantula

and if in a Battle tree or something... Zeraora

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I'd be a whatever type I damn well please gym leader like Blue.

My pokemon would be

Smeargle, Heracross, Skarmory, Dunsparce, Houndoom, Feraligatr

I'd replace Falkner as the Violet City gym leader because Falkner is weak and unqualified to be a gym leader becase he uses his dad's weak pokemon and relies on accuracy lowering moves and trainers picking Chikorita to boost his reputation. And my reputation as a giant roadblock in pokemon trainers' career will surpass Whitney's.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It's too much work to come up with a full team, but I do know I'd probably favor fire types above all else.

Not enough fire leaders.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 29, 2018
i'd totally dig bein a normal type gym leader.
it's like 2am my time so thinking too hard about what the gym looks like or what my badge looks like is too much work but my team would look like this:
- silvally
- pyroar (female)
- ursaring
- herdier
- braviary
- sawsbuck

i know they aren't purely normal types but. i'm just here to live my best life

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 14, 2018
always had that fantasy of being a gym leader

my gym would be a PSYCHO type gym

back in the day, 18 years ago, we used to battle each other in my neighbourhood (with gameboy colour and gamelink cables) and at some point we agreed to have certain rules so the battles wouldn't take ages. in my gym those rules must be followed:

- 3 vs. 3, so u can only pick 3 mons to fight with
- no healing
- no switching
- no hold items

well, only 3 pokemon and no healing or switching, u really gotta think about the order in which u send ur mons into battle ... that also fits the gym theme of being PSYCHO, it challenges ur mind

my powerful and impressive team consists of:

1. Deoxys

286px-Sugimori_386.png

2. Cresselia

224px-Sugimori_488.png

3. Mewtwo

145px-Sugimori_150m2.png

POSH! ... as for the location i envision something like a museum with famous paintings, the interior is all white and u can look at fine art before battle to get inspired

300px-The_Scream.jpg

... and i'm not always in the gym, u meet my (very attractive) secretary first who will give u an appointment after testing ur strength but she only has a Espeon

250px-Sugimori_196.png

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Fairy leader^^ They're girly and bubbly and innocent. Like me.

...But.

If I lived in the pokemon world, i'd want to be as close by to korrina as possible. And she's a gym leader too.

Ahhhh.....life can be so confusing!!! lol...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2022
I would be a fire type trainer.
My badge would be the Lava badge.
My gym would be under a Volcano. Lava would surround the gym area.

Team would be
Charizard.
Typhlosion.
Magmar.

Years
Definitely Dark! Team would be Zorua, Umbreon, Bisharp and Sableye.

I would want to be the 6th or 7th gym, and the badge would be called the Gloom Badge. In a rematch I would also have Shiftry.

Years
I'm kinda torn between being a Grass-type Gym Leader or an Ice-type one, since both are my favourite types. :o

... I'll probably just go Grass though. Too many Grass Pokemon that I like to pass up on that. :P

Back