• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Generation 6 for Pokémon Essentials (Pokémon sprites and PBS files)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Good god. I feel like I've lost a quarter of my brain cells reading Farlavor's post.

Anyway, why don't we contribute to this thread by adding stuff bit by bit, instead of waiting for one guy to do everything? I think that would be most helpful to whoever is doing this project (assuming he hasn't officially quit) and to this community.

I can start with a bit of the updated type resistances, specifically with electric type's immunity to paralysis. It was pretty easy overall, since you could copy the negated effects of burn and poisoining already defined, and just change the respective type to Electric.

Within PokeBattle_Effects, add this after line 248, after the substitute check:
Code:
if pbHasType?(:ELECTRIC) && !isConst?(self.item,PBItems,:RINGTARGET)
      @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("It doesn't affect {1}...",pbThis(true))) if showMessages
      return false
    end

Now go to line 265, there should be a def titled "pbCanParalyzeSynchronize? (opponent)"
After the line that says "return false if self.status!=0" add this "if" statement:
Code:
if pbHasType?(:ELECTRIC) && !isConst?(self.item,PBItems,:RINGTARGET)
       @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1}'s {2} had no effect on {3}!",
          opponent.pbThis,PBAbilities.getName(opponent.ability),pbThis(true)))
       return false
    end
That should prevent paralysis from being passed on to an electric type Poke through Synchronize. I think that is all you need to do, since other handlers (such as abilities and moves which cause paralysis) refer to this one.

For the others, I did make a post way back stating that a work-around to get the Grass type immune to powder moves is by creating new function codes which does the effect of the move AND fails if the target's type is Grass (similar to how leech seed is set up). I don't know how to add new function codes, though, and whether I should do so or not. I'm not a scripter.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
If needed, I could start updating the pokemon.txt file more thoroughly next week (probably starting Tuesday). I won't really have time this weekend to start it. Granted, it won't work without the moves (or place-holders for the moves ... and I guess placeholder images for the new Pokemon), so without the moves, it's not like there's an urgent rush to finish right this second... unless you're Farlavor. :P

Regarding art, is the general idea to completely update the art for all 700+ Pokemon, or to just add the new Pokemon in a style that matches what comes with Essentials? Because if the latter, then people would only need to find/make 69 Pokemon plus their alternate forms as opposed to, what, like 718. It might be easier to start there.

as far as I know, this has been left for OVER 2 DAMN WEEKS!

and I already know of some guys who said a thing about updating stuff and then they simply quit, no questions asked.

so please, I rather prefer YOU to do something to improve that update... or else... ask those fools to put a BETA version available to download and let other people doing the stuff they didn't work. becuz I am very interested in seeing this update already finished... I am too old to start scripting stuff and simply make my pokemon fangame crashing or becoming an useless piece of junk for making a mistake with a program language that I NEVER LEARNED since 90s becuz it never existed.

I am too old to just learn Ruby, RGGS or wathever the language it is.
that's why it should be handled by people who knows about it.

and since Maruno don't like to use anything but original pokemon sprites ripped from videogames, We will never have any Gen 6 pokemon.

besides, 6 gen pokemon isn't just copy the sprites and voila, It's just adding all the info including EV bonus, base stats and stuff that I will never achieve by simply copy paste a few images and adding random stuff in "Pokemon.txt".

so please... I only want this to continue... and don't quit just by stuffs like.

"Dammit... I canno't make grass types be inmune to seed attacks"

or "AAAARRRGGGH... I cannot make ghosts inmune to traps"

simply, Don't put the damn inmunities or other redundant stuff that just makes battling a pain in the ass to those who was acustomed to Gen 1-5 like the weather abilities to last 5 turns... and make a pseudo Gen 6 with the same mechanics as B/W... It's march for gods sake... Make the update #14 now with all the new pokemon, and do those stuff on #15. okay?

becuz if I have to wait for this, I will die by old aging.

PS: That's not being rude... THAT WAS BEING DESPERATED.
Too old to learn? That's preposterous. There are people earning degrees well into their 90's! You aren't too old to learn. You're either too busy or too lazy. And if you have trouble learning, that's because the mind is like a muscle and you've allowed it to atrophy, but with some studying, the mind can be sharpened. Although with the attitude you have, I can see how you failed to learn patience and manners. "TWO WEEKS" is not a long time at all when it comes to game development, especially hobby game development.

Have you ever considered that ActionReplayer might have something going on in his life that's far more important than working on a hobby right now? He might have a very good reason for why he hasn't logged on in a while. For all we know, his life could be changing greatly right now. Did you ever consider that? Pokemon Essentials is a hobby. He is not obligated to try and get his contributions done as fast as humanly possible, especially if he's got bigger things going on.

And have you ever considered that your tone when you write is important? Because it is, and so far you have not been coming across very well. Maybe you think you don't sound rude, and maybe it's not your intent, but to us, you're coming across as rather bratty, and it makes us not want to help you or do things for you.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
If needed, I could start updating the pokemon.txt file more thoroughly next week (probably starting Tuesday). I won't really have time this weekend to start it. Granted, it won't work without the moves (or place-holders for the moves ... and I guess placeholder images for the new Pokemon), so without the moves, it's not like there's an urgent rush to finish right this second... unless you're Farlavor. :P

Regarding art, is the general idea to completely update the art for all 700+ Pokemon, or to just add the new Pokemon in a style that matches what comes with Essentials? Because if the latter, then people would only need to find/make 69 Pokemon plus their alternate forms as opposed to, what, like 718. It might be easier to start there.

I tend to see most people sticking to the gen 4 style of battlers, and while thats all well and good, it severely limits the resources available, I have only completely a handful of gen 4 style backs of Chaos Rush's resource pack, and thats Gen 5, resources are very far behind, where as the resources in a gen 5 style are all-encompassing, and exist for all 718 pokemon, save for the backs

I mentioned it to someone else, that the styles existing are in 3, GBA style - your rom hacking, and chaos rush pack, gen 4 style, your essentials pack, and the new frontier Unova style

There exist pros and cons to them all, GBA has severe lack of resource and countless limitations - gen 4 has pain in the ass stipulations to adhere to, and Unova is too big and too advanced for essentials' current battle system

I guess what I'm saying is the problem is that I have strict rules about these kinds of things and it bugs me to see others taking short-cuts - but I will say that Unova has the most promising outcome as far as the future of essentials, if people are willing to put forth the effort
...that being said Gen 4 is also an equally viable option to stay true to if people are willing to put forth the effort (granted a little more than Unova)

I wont go into it entirely, as to stay brief, but what separates the styles from one another is that GBA has the back of a pokemon, with an increased focal point of the creature, that is to say the back of it is bigger than the front - Gen 4 increases this difference further by having an increased size ration (64x64 to 80x80) while unova is equal in size, mirrored images of front and back, while in battle the back is double the size of the front - this creates the tedious and pain in the ass problems of updating a GBA resource to fit seamlessly into essentials, and why I subsequently gave up on the endeavor. Just food or thought fr anyone willing to pick up where I left off.

To answer your question I would like to see the essentials sticking to a single style, which seems to be Gen 4 as it already exists in its entirety as far as scripting, but 2 while generations need to be created in order to appease the public.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
i dont get how the smogon project ones are poorly done as they look decent to me (considering there a done in a different style than the games (i believe there gen 5 style right) I do however have all 719 fronts and backs in gen 6 style however many shinies (mainly backs) and alt forms (mainly genders i think) are missing which is a shame but for those that are interested there from serebii.net and http://www.pkparaiso.com/

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
This one for moves.txt seems to be correct:
Code:
XXX,PHANTOMFORCE,Phantom Force,0CD,90,GHOST,Physical,100,10,0,00,0,aef,Smart,"The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself."
XXX - set this to an unused move number.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I'm not backing anything Farlavor has said or has done, but it seems his opinions got people to continue with the project, so in all fairness, a lot of people will thank him in the future... I was ready to request this thread locked if all the posts were going to be aimed at him or anyone and not the project but, it has worked out.

On to the reason I have commented though.

Is there a list of moves, effects and abilities, that need adding, I will offer "my services" or as I'm going to call it, help.

Anything that I do contribute though, I will post here so that it's public, if there is one thing I do agree with what Falavor said, is that this project is kept out of reach to everyone but 1 guy, it shouldn't be.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
i dont get how the smogon project ones are poorly done as they look decent to me (considering there a done in a different style than the games (i believe there gen 5 style right) I do however have all 719 fronts and backs in gen 6 style however many shinies (mainly backs) and alt forms (mainly genders i think) are missing which is a shame but for those that are interested there from serebii.net and http://www.pkparaiso.com/

While I have used these sprites, there is a reason I never bundled them together and shared them or suggested that people use them...

even with some of the best people here in RGSS, using GIFs for battlers is buggy as all hell and I have still not found a way to get them working without the sprite flickering at certain points in the battle. I guess if people do not mind that, then by all means, but I think it is only fair to let them know that any expectations of the GIFs working flawlessly need to be let go.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
Girls and guys,
Do we have a shared doc where we can post and check updates? If not, I'd like to make
a template for it and share it here, if y'all agree :]

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This one for moves.txt seems to be correct:
Code:
XXX,PHANTOMFORCE,Phantom Force,0CD,90,GHOST,Physical,100,10,0,00,0,aef,Smart,"The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself."
XXX - set this to an unused move number.
Pretty much got it. The move itself is a weaker form of Shadow Force.

Nickalooose said:
Anything that I do contribute though, I will post here so that it's public, if there is one thing I do agree with what Falavor said, is that this project is kept out of reach to everyone but 1 guy, it shouldn't be.
Cool! Also I'd like to recommend everyone to just ignore Farlavor right now, unless he actually contributes something to this topic. No need to devolve this thread even further.

As for a list, I agree with Stochastic that we should probably get a shared Doc to keep track of our progress, to keep things organized. To my knowledge, we don't have one.

Worldslayer608 said:
While I have used these sprites, there is a reason I never bundled them together and shared them or suggested that people use them...

even with some of the best people here in RGSS, using GIFs for battlers is buggy as all hell and I have still not found a way to get them working without the sprite flickering at certain points in the battle. I guess if people do not mind that, then by all means, but I think it is only fair to let them know that any expectations of the GIFs working flawlessly need to be let go.
While that is true if you wish to animate them, it's not a huge deal if you just want them static. You can use any image editing program to convert the files to PNG, so it's not a HUGE issue.

Saving Raven said:
To answer your question I would like to see the essentials sticking to a single style, which seems to be Gen 4 as it already exists in its entirety as far as scripting, but 2 while generations need to be created in order to appease the public.
The point of Essentials is to get you started on a Pokemon game. How you want your game to look in terms of graphics is something that's up to the developer, not the kit.

I also don't recommend we worry so much about graphics, and focus more on getting the mechanics/data to match that of Gen 6, because you can easily get graphics of gen 6 pokemon, but that won't make the game actually work like Gen 6.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Well when there is some sort of order and a list of things that need doing, I'll see what I can do :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
I have added some of the gen 6 moves that don't need scripting:
Spoiler:
Note: You need to edit the item ID.

I also added the TM's for these moves and all of the compatibility, excluding Nature Power.
Spoiler:
Note that some of these have Gen 6 Pokemon, such as Sylveon. Take these out if you wish.

And the section for these in the items.txt:
Spoiler:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Before working at PBS, take a look at Maruno's method of making these files.

and since Maruno don't like to use anything but original pokemon sprites ripped from videogames, We will never have any Gen 6 pokemon.

besides, 6 gen pokemon isn't just copy the sprites and voila, It's just adding all the info including EV bonus, base stats and stuff that I will never achieve by simply copy paste a few images and adding random stuff in "Pokemon.txt".
False.

When BW cames, before even Maruno take over Essentials, I requested the gen V pokémon at Essentials, I really want to use these pokémon at my game. At one of my first posts at PokéCommunity Maruno told me to do this myself, what I did? The Unova Pack, a pack to put gen V pokémon at Essentials (except abilities and moves new effects). This requires me no script knowledge, I only needed to know how to edit the PBS and how to resize images. I edited 156 pokémon backsprites and shinies backsprites to fill at Essentials "half-body" style. Some became too poorly made, but fills well as placeholder. At v11, the default Essentials even had the Unova Pack incorporated.

Now we have 72 new pokémon, less that half that I added at Unova Pack. Adding these pokémon at PBS is totally possible.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2017
Before working at PBS, take a look at Maruno's method of making these files.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you so much for this! This has saved me the hassle! Will post Nature Power when I'm done.

Edit: Here's Nature Power!

Code:
[NATUREPOWER]
BULBASAUR,IVYSAUR,VENUSAUR,ODDISH,GLOOM,VILEPLUME,PARAS,PARASECT,BELLSPROUT,WEEPINBELL,VICTREEBEL,GEODUDE,GRAVELER,GOLEM,ONIX,EXEGGCUTE,EXEGGUTOR,TANGELA,KABUTOPS,BELLOSSOM,SUDOWOODO,SUNKERN,SUNFLORA,STEELIX,SLUGMA,MAGCARGO,CORSOLA,LOTAD,LOMBRE,LUDICOLO,SEEDOT,NUZLEAF,SHIFTRY,ROSELIA,NUMEL,CAMERUPT,TORKOAL,CACNEA,CACTURNE,CRAWDAUNT,TROPIUS,BUDEW,ROSERADE,BONSLY,CARNIVINE,TANGROWTH,LEAFEON,PANSAGE,SIMISAGE,ROGGENROLA,BOLDORE,GIGALITH,SEWADDLE,SWADLOON,LEAVANNY,PETILIL,LILLIGANT,MARACTUS,DWEBBLE,CRUSTLE,DEERLING,SAWSBUCK,FOONGUS,AMOONGUSS,FERROSEED,FERROTHORN

Last edited:

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
I edited 156 pokémon backsprites and shinies backsprites to fill at Essentials "half-body" style. Some became too poorly made, but fills well as placeholder.
Thing is, this generation there are no official sprites and artists tend to be extremely sensitive about people who repost (even with credits), resize, recolour, use, position and crop them.

Not to mention the fact that not even half the VI overworlds have been done by any artist, let alone used in a game: http://chasemortier.deviantart.com/art/Pokemon-X-and-Y-overworld-dex-437564440

I know plenty of spriters myself who would be extremely angry if they found their sprites used in a game. It might take time to edit Pokemon backsprites and shinies, but 'resizing' would not even account for half the actual amount of time taken to actually create those Pokemon backsprites and shinies from scratch. Hence the sensitivity.

I am also not sure if anyone here has requested permission to use the Smogon sprite set in Pokemon Essentials (for the pack, not for every single seperate game.)

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I am not sure why everyone seems to think the graphics or pokemon entries need to be in the actual update at all. Those are things that are easy enough for people to do on their own with their own resources.

Seems like the real focus should be on things like moves, abilities, evolution methods... things of that nature.

*Shrugs*

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I had all abilities descriptions done already, so here they are:

Spoiler:

But I agree with Worldslayer, we should work on the abilities/moves themselves. Is there a list of what has been made already or something?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I asked the same thing JV, but noone replied... So it seems everyone wants to do the PBS side of things, but not the moves themselves.

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
I'm starting to work on the moves myself (not great with scripting yet though). I've only got Draining Kiss (same as Absorb, but restores 75% instead of 50%), and Noble Roar (lowers target's Atk and Sp. Atk by one stage) so far, purely because they were simple to do. I can share them when I get home (posting from smartphone) to help out.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
Well I know for a fact that I can't script.
I got this done with Maruno and Luka S.J.'s help
Pixilate
Code:
    if isConst?(type,PBTypes,:NORMAL) && isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:PIXILATE)
      type=getConst(PBTypes,:FAIRY) || 0
      basedmg=(basedmg*1.3).floor
    end

Aerilate
Code:
    if isConst?(type,PBTypes,:NORMAL) && isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:AERILATE)
      type=getConst(PBTypes,:FLYING) || 0
    end

Refrigerate
Code:
    if isConst?(type,PBTypes,:NORMAL) && isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:REFRIGERATE)
      type=getConst(PBTypes,:ICE) || 0
    end

Insert this after
Code:
    if isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:IRONFIST) &&
       (@flags&0x200)!=0 # flag j: Is punching move
      basedmg=(basedmg*1.2).floor
    end
in the Essentials Script.

Guys, before you edit the PBS files, please use/modify Stochastic's! We don't want to do everything loads of times. I looked quickly at it and they've written practically everything already.

Back