• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate My team

NeoStar

Future Scripter Extraordinaire
Years
I was bored so I decided to fire up pokemon again i'm trying to build a team and I came up with the following:

I'm running the sim in gen 5 btw.

Smeargle @ BrightPowder Speed/Defense Iv's Jolly Nature:

Spore
Baton Pass
Calm Mind
Bulk Up

Ampharos @ Quick Claw SP.attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Signal Beam
Power Gem
Light Screen
Thunder Bolt

Kingdra @ Leftovers Sp.Attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Surf
Ice Beam
Dragon Breath
Signal Beam

Houndoom @ BlackGlasses Sp.Attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Thunder Fang
Nasty Plot

Wheezing @ BrightPowder HP/Defense Iv's Impish Nature

Haze
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Pain Split

Marowak @ Thickclub Attack/Defense Iv's Adamant Nature

Earthquake
Swords Dance
Ancient Power
HP Bug

Let me knwo if you have any suggestions or want to rate it. I'll test it for a while and see how good it works since I can't get swtor to download till at least tommorow.

And Before People say replace smeargle with blissey, I like my smeargle it'd probably be better to give him nasty plot/agility but I figured calm mind, bulk up would work too.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Giving us some EV spreads would help :)

And if this is for competitive play, Brightpowder and Quick Claw are banned. BlackGlasses is simply outclassed by Life Orb, too.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Ok firstly I think you mean EVs when you write IVs.

Now, coming to point. There are some glaring problems with your team.

1. The standard Nickwak set us no longer viable cause Ancientpower is now a special attack. Replace it with Rock Slide (it's not 100% accurate though, I know it sucks).

2. Replace Kingdra's Dragonbreath with Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor. Also Signal Beam is too weak. A physical attacking Kingdra with Outrage is also viable.

3. Replace Smeargle's Calm Mind with Quiver Dance which is universally better. You might wanna change bulk up with Gear Shift. Shell Smash passing Smeargle is also quite viable.

4. Haze is now outclassed by Clear Smog.

5. Your teams is quite lacking in type synergy. For example your team is quite weak to Earthquake after Weezing dies. Also, some common playstyles like weather, and bulky boosting sweepers walk all over this. The only way to solve this is substituting Pokemon. If you agree to do that, please reply and I'll suggest some substitutions.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2015
what Sayan suggested ^
and Marowak isnt specially offesive
if your planning to pass Marowak some stats it better in a sub, or you can pass it some speed though agility or shell smash
Take off Hp ice and Ancient power
Add thunderpunch and Double Edge

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Oh yeah, I didn't notice the Hidden Power on Marowak! Replace that and Ancientpower ASAP.

And Smeargle should be holding a Focus Sash.

NeoStar

Future Scripter Extraordinaire
Years
Good tips, I used most of them

Yeah I meant evs instead of iv's i'm sorry about that.

I'm sort of new to gen 5 so I didn't know ancient power was a special attack move now but how is HP bug not viable for marrowak? He can take out psychic,dark and one of his weaknesses grass types. With baton pass of attack/speed he's nearly invulnerable.

One thing I noticed with your recommendations while testing my team on pokemon online is that sleep clause affects my team severely since smeargle can only get 1-2 stat increases off before he is forced to pass and when it's off he's far to op and can just spore everyone to death before passing to amph or marrowak and flattening pretty much anything.

This is an example of sleep clause off
Spoiler:

Complete amph rape.

And with it on
Spoiler:

Complete rape

I've also noticed that roar/whirlwind own me as well.

So is my team that "unbalanced" where it get's flattened on sleep clause and is far to overpowered without it?

Last edited:

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
All Hidden Powers are special now, regardless of type. HP Bug is also not viable. You can abuse recoilless Double Edge instead (use Rock Head 'Wak)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Smeargle may be better off with only one stat-up move, since it has a tough time getting both boosts up if it opts for two. It's also better off with Quiver Dance or Shift Gear as its boosting move of choice because Quiver Dance boosts Speed in addition to the user's Special stats, while Shift Gear also gives an Agility boost and a Howl boost at the same time.

Use a Timid nature on Houndoom for more Speed. Don't use Thunder Fang in that case, since it runs off Houndoom's lowered physical Attack:
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Taunt/Hidden Power (Grass)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire

Ampharos' bulk is decent, so it can use a bulky attacker set. Quick Claw is frowned upon in competitive play, since it relies on luck:
-Volt Switch
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
-Thunderbolt
Nature: Modest
EVs: 208 HP/252 SAtk/48 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Static

Sayan

is tightening its focus
Years
Well, the Smeargle set might be able to utilize two boosting moves. It wouldn't need to use both, but having both lets it pass boosts to sweeper at both ends of the physical/special spectrum. That way it gets to have more possible boost recipients and is more unlikely to be rendered useless.

However, if you want to forgo a set up move, it can be replaced by Substitute (to ease prediction), Foul Play (it uses the target's attack instead of Smeargle's pathetic attack).

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Smeargle @ BrightPowder Speed/Defense Iv's Jolly Nature:

Spore
Baton Pass
Calm Mind
Bulk Up

For one, Brightpowder is banned. For two, Calm Mind isn't necessary since you have Ampharos for Sp. Def 'coverage.' Since Smeargle has access to Nasty Plot, just give it that to optimize Spore's effectiveness. Bulk Up can also be replaced by Swords Dance to get straight to the point.
Ampharos @ Quick Claw SP.attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Signal Beam
Power Gem
Light Screen
Thunder Bolt

Why Power Gem? On Ampharos, since this is walled by Gliscor, give it HP Ice. It can also benefit from HP Fire for Ferrothorn and/or Scizor considering those are just as rampant as Gliscor and Kingdra already covers Gliscor, in a sense. Replace Quick Claw with Life Orb or Leftovers.

Signal Beam is an all right coverage move, I guess.
Kingdra @ Leftovers Sp.Attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Surf
Ice Beam
Dragon Breath
Signal Beam

Instead of Dragonbreath, just give it Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor and replace Leftovers with either Choice Specs or Life Orb to maximize Sp. Atk power.

Throw out Signal Beam and replace it with HP Fire for Ferrothorn/Scizor/Magnezone.
Houndoom @ BlackGlasses Sp.Attk/Speed Iv's Modest Nature

Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Thunder Fang
Nasty Plot

Get rid of Thunder Fang and add HP Grass for Gastrodon and Rotom-W. Replace glasses with Life Orb.
Wheezing @ BrightPowder HP/Defense Iv's Impish Nature

Haze
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Pain Split

Don't use Sludge Bomb + Toxic. Use Will-o-Wisp instead of Toxic for Scizor, Skarmory and Excadrill (in some places) Replace Powder with Leftovers.
Marowak @ Thickclub Attack/Defense Iv's Adamant Nature

Earthquake
Swords Dance
Ancient Power
HP Bug

Not even sure what to do with this. Marowak is competitively unstable in the OU metagame.

Back