• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen More than just shinies?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Another thread based off the idea of "what if" in regards to the genetics theme!

Let's say that there is a genetics theme, and that the DNA of the Pokemon can actually be altered, so that there's more than just shinies. For example, in an online game I used to play years ago, there were shinies, but there were also metallics, and shadow Pokemon, too. They weren't necessarily ghost/steel, but it was more on the side of the colour scheme, and offering something rarer than just shinies. Would you like to see DNA altered so that maybe shadow Pokemon (with the side effect of them being like they were in Colosseum) or metallic Pokemon (with nothing special but looked interesting - maybe an interesting side effect in regards to them), or something else completely different? Do you think this is possible? Would this seem as great as shinies if they had the same "find" rate as shinies? Would you be bothered to set out and hunt these too? Or do you think shadow Pokemon would only appear if they're evil, rather than just an aesthetic effect? Also what other types of rare aesthetic designs could there be other than the ones mentioned? Share your thoughts!

Also would you like to think that by this generation it would be possible even if there isn't a genetics theme?

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I would like to have multiple shiny designs, like, a pokemon can have 3 different colour alterations, 3 different shinys! Depending on what genetics the pokemon has!
The main reason why I want different shiny alterations is because I hate some of the shiny designs of awesome pokemon. *ugh* grey Gengar, *ugh* green Dragonite.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I wouldn't mind alternate shiny colors, just because some Pokémon have really ugly shiny forms. However, I don't really think anything else needs to be done to a Pokémon's aesthetic appearance to be honest. Actually, other than color alterations, I'm kind of scared of what else GameFreak would come up with for a Pokémon design. Plus, it would take up unnecessary space that could be used for something more useful.

Gen V introduced Hidden Abilities and even though they may not be as rare as finding a shiny or aesthetically different, I think it was a neat change for each Pokémon to have some sort of special ability from what we're used to. More so because a lot of the Hidden Abilities given are very useful.

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
I had an idea similar to this a while back that I got from reading about the special Black Tyranitar that was considered a Legendary Pokemon in one of the manga. I'd like to see that, some special Pokemon that may look slightly different or different animations than just a simple recoloring of the original. Maybe give them a special unique move that only they can possess and make it impossible to breed for them. (Such as, using Black Tyranitar, say you breed it with a regular Tyranitar, you get a regular Larvitar.)

It would be a lot like the Spiky-Eared Pichu. Make them as rare alternate forms of standard Pokemon.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I would like it too if there were slightly different designs to some of the Pokémon, like Omanyte, it can have different spiral shells like the creature it's based on which had some funky shaped shells.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm somehow okay with genetic alterations of existing Pokemon. Not fusions, but Pokemon that have different appearances to other in their species, like the SEP, but instead of intense time travel side effects make it like a mutation. A good mutation of course, but still a mutation. Add a little stat boost, and we're good to go.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
What I'd like to see... is more differently coloured shiny Pokémon, so it can make it more like how the Pokémon Stadium games were like in regards to how they're nicknamed. But instead of the colour varying from a Pokémon's nickname... just finding it as a rare and shiny Pokémon in the wild.

Years
Pokemon Crater, right?

I would love to see variation of Pokemon such as Light, Dark, Metallic, etc.
They could be very nice for collection purposes. I know I would take time out of my schedule to hunt for them.

Alternate colored Pokemon such as the purple Kecleon that appears in the anime/PMD games would be a very fun aspect of the game.

I don't think that'll actually be present in the game but hey, anything can happen.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
We could have Light pokemons like TCG:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Light_Pokémon_(TCG)
200px-LightDragonairNeoDestiny22.jpg
180px-DarkIvysaurBestofGame6.jpg

Same thing with Dark pokemon ( Meaning they are bad for TCG )

Shadow pokemons would be great too:
180px-249Lugia-Shadow_XD_2.png

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Another thread based off the idea of "what if" in regards to the genetics theme!

Let's say that there is a genetics theme, and that the DNA of the Pokemon can actually be altered, so that there's more than just shinies. For example, in an online game I used to play years ago, there were shinies, but there were also metallics, and shadow Pokemon, too. They weren't necessarily ghost/steel, but it was more on the side of the colour scheme, and offering something rarer than just shinies. Would you like to see DNA altered so that maybe shadow Pokemon (with the side effect of them being like they were in Colosseum) or metallic Pokemon (with nothing special but looked interesting - maybe an interesting side effect in regards to them), or something else completely different? Do you think this is possible? Would this seem as great as shinies if they had the same "find" rate as shinies? Would you be bothered to set out and hunt these too? Or do you think shadow Pokemon would only appear if they're evil, rather than just an aesthetic effect? Also what other types of rare aesthetic designs could there be other than the ones mentioned? Share your thoughts!

Also would you like to think that by this generation it would be possible even if there isn't a genetics theme?

I remember that game! I used to be addicted to Pokemon Crater when I was younger. Wonder if it's still running...

Anyways, I'd like to see more than the typical shiny. Maybe a Pokemon has a certain rare pattern on it, like the Pokemon in the Orange Islands. Or with the whole possible genetics theme, maybe we'll see cloned Pokemon with different patterns on them (like Mewtwo's), and we could catch them as well. Since Mewtwo is going to be in the next movie, it seems like a possibility, though we don't know if it's the same Mewtwo from the first movie.

d00bt00b

Genxo
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 1, 2013
No, I remember a few years back when I used to play Pokemon Crater and it shut down. I sort of recall shinies being pretty common, which kind of took away a lot of the excitement of catching one.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
Also maybe having crystal pokemons as an alternate for Rock type much like that Crystal Onix.

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
I'd like few variations of the shiny skins. Some are really poor. Perhaps light and dark versions? Angelic and Demonic?

Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
Agreed. Garchomps is lazy.

Blissey's is pretty lazy too. I mean come on its the same colour. Why not keep it green like chancey?

Last edited:

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Just for mentions, PKMN crater was revived as PKMN Vortex...

Anyways the idea of shadow pokemon is appealing to me but I'd also like the idea of variations of things like patterns on shells and the like. It gives a sense of individuality.

Guy

just a guy
Years
They could take the Spinda approach with some Pokémon and give them different patterns or markings that could be rare to come across. Sort of like how in the anime, May's Bulbasaur had a heart-shaped mark on its forehead unlike Ash's Bulbasaur.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I would like Colour variations of pokemon in metallic, dark/shadow, light/dark. But tbqh I think that Shinies in the long run will lose their worth imo. And that is in terms of collecting, doing challenges like monotype and mono-colour and etc. Lastly I remember whenever nicknaming pokemon in R/Y/B and G/S/C, and then transferring them to Pokemon Stadium/Stadium 2, the colours of the pokemon nicknamed would change and would only be noticeable in there. That's in regards towards shinies and different colouring of pokemon.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
For example, in an online game I used to play years ago, there were shinies, but there were also metallics, and shadow Pokemon, too.

Pokemon Crater! Played that too.

I don't know, maybe they'll include something like this? I think it would actually go either way. However it also seems really likely that any "modified" Pokemon will just be ones with Dream World abilities, because there are still a ton that have yet to be released with what, 8 months left till XY? They had years to release them but maybe they'll do it all at once?

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I like the idea of light pokemon and shadow pokemon.
Maybe a 5% chance of finding a light or shadow pokemon in the wild, however the pokemon's original type will still be the same type.
Light pokemon will have a faint white glow, along with white-ish colourations. If you find one, It will have been "Blessed with Xerneas' light" or sumfin'. All light pokemon can learn a special move called 'Special Aura', It's type is unknown (???) much like the move curse in gen 1. It has a power of 120, accuracy 100%, and is no type resists it or is weak against it. This move is either physical or special depending on which attacking stat is higher.
Same goes for shadow pokemon, faint dark-purple glow and darker colouration. It's move is 'Mystic Aura', unknown type, 120 power 100% accuracy, no type advantage or disadvantage.. you get the picture.

The stats will still stay the same if it is a light/shadow pokemon, this is just another form of shiny pokemon, except of course with extra moves!

Back