• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Gym Leaders did you hate?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
inb4whitney

Well, welcome to the "be as critical as you can about gym leaders" thread, a.k.a, the "What gym leaders you hate" thread - 1st and 2nd Gen edition. The name of the game's simple enough. You don't have to hate-hate them, disliking's fine.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think I hated any of them, really. If I had to pick some annoying ones though, Misty in RBY is definitely a pain. Starmie is an amazing Pokemon and having to fight it so early is just...terrible, especially since I'm a Charmander kid. lol

As far as GSC goes, I am actually going to go with Chuck. That DynamicPunch... @_@ Especially since I normally don't have many team members that are good against Fighting. It seems like I always have a bunch of Normal types at this point in the game (unevolved Eevee doesn't help) and then I have like...Typhlosion and that isn't gonna cut it against Poliwrath lmao. Just a pain in the butt, really. I've always had more trouble with him than Whitney.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
Hands down Sabrina. She was always the toughest to beat for me. And the fact she had that annoying teleport gym which was always a pain to get through.

Years
In 1st gen I always found Koga from Fuchsia city gym annoying with his poison Pokemon. I tried to get through it a few times without aid but in the end I had to buy a fair number of antidotes to get past him.

Years
I can't recall having too much trouble with any of the Gym Leaders in the first gen, but Clair gave me a rough time once Gold came around. She's the only Gym Leader I can remember having to re-battle, and of course, I never put two and two together when I was young, so I never thought to go back to the Ice Path to catch a Jynx or something.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I'm going to disregard the First Generation since I did not have a problem with any of the gym leaders, but the Second Generation I did.......one person that comes into mind which many people have already stated.....her name is crybaby Whitney. That Miltank and her rollout and at first when I was little, I thought that she continuously would spam the move, but I had no idea it was a continuous attack; I would swear up and down around the house because of that Miltank lol.

:354:TG

Years
  • Seen Jun 26, 2022
Whitney and Claire are both little drama queens who can't take their losses- and that's why I absolutely love winning against those. And for first gen... I never liked Koga. He poisoned by precious Blastoise, every time again D:

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I don't hate any gym leaders because they were hard to beat, but I hated Whitney because she's such a brat. Also bugsy annoyed me, mostly because I was never sure if that weirdo was a boy or a girl.

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
Brock in Yellow had to have been the most frustrating for me as a kid EVER. No matter how much I tried I couldn't beat him. Pikachu, Pidget and Caterpie couldn't even dent his Geodude. I did it eventually by spamming Sand Attack with Pidgey (at least I think I did lol). I really regret not evolving Caterpie now because if I had Confusion it would have been SO much easier.

In G/S/C the obvious candidate is Whitney. Oh how her Miltank made me want to smash my Gameboy. I laugh now reminiscing about it because I remember how easy Falkner and Bugsy were for my Cyndaquil/Quilava and Pidgey/Pidgeotto, and then BAM. Rollout, oh lord.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
Brock in yellow i can remember clear as day. i remember getting smashed. reviving my pokemon. getting smashed. reviving my pokemon. ect. (when i say pokemon i mean pikachu, and some random freshly caught wild pokemon with no training what so ever)
i gave up yellow for months. until i finally one day i was watching pokemon on tv and i seen that butterfree evolved from metapod. and i decided to get one. because i remember seeing hundreds of them in vidaran forest. i then decided to take on brock. and my level 14 butterfree wiped the floor with geodude and onix. to my amazement. bare in mind i was very young and had little knowledge of weakness's and type advantages. and for misty. she was easy too because of good old butterfree.

for whitney. i never had a problem with her because i always had a geodude by goldenrod. because i liked the move magnitude. and yeah. i will admit, miltank was tough. but not tough enough. chuck. on the other hand. now he's a good gym leader. but thats another story.

Sirfetch’d

I really liked all of them, but I guess that Claire and Whitney were pretty tough. Chuck was also a bit of a pain sometimes. Overall though I really liked them all.

Years
  • Seen May 31, 2013
Misty's starmie is hard to compete with, that was probably the worst for me.

Years
For Generation I, I would say Sabrina, if just because of how overpowered the Psychic-type is in those games.

And Generation II I'd say Whitney, I think we all know why.

And the fact she had that annoying teleport gym which was always a pain to get through.

Once you get the path down is incredibly easy to get through.

Back