• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 16, 2014
Forgive me for not combing through the hundreds of pages to see if anyone has asked this before xD

Does anyone know the maximum size one can make a map in Advance Map? Also, if you made a map at or around maximum size could the ROM handle it without any issues? No lagging or glitching, etc.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Is there a way to create a new tilemap for the logo on the title screen of firered? I've found tutorials for replacing the logo, and for normal positioning it works, but when I try to position a logo to be directly under, with a little overlap, of the Pokemon text it messes up.

never mind, I figured it out!

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I've become very intrigued about hacking Gen II games, and I was thinking about poking around them, mostly for fun, and without the intent of making a fully-fledged hack. But I was just curious...I've seen plenty of tutorials on how to convert a pointer to two or three byte form, but how does one do the reverse? Going backwards with the formula I currently have isn't an option...reverse modulus is impossible.

Forgive me for not combing through the hundreds of pages to see if anyone has asked this before xD

Does anyone know the maximum size one can make a map in Advance Map? Also, if you made a map at or around maximum size could the ROM handle it without any issues? No lagging or glitching, etc.

I believe that the max size a map can be is 0xFFFF by 0xFFFF...or 65535 x 65535 tiles. I don't know specifically if that ungodly amount of tiles would cause problems, but I don't think it will. Then again, I don't know why a map would be that size anyway.

Anyway, the Gen III games, much like in Gen IV and V, don't load the entire map at once. It loads little sections of the map at a time, a little larger than the screen's size. When you move, the map is shifted in whatever direction you move. So, if you move Left, the map shifts left, and the tiles that are on the right literally vanish as they go off the screen. Because of this, I don't think there's a lag problem.

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2014
I believe that the max size a map can be is 0xFFFF by 0xFFFF...or 65535 x 65535 tiles. I don't know specifically if that ungodly amount of tiles would cause problems, but I don't think it will. Then again, I don't know why a map would be that size anyway.

Anyway, the Gen III games, much like in Gen IV and V, don't load the entire map at once. It loads little sections of the map at a time, a little larger than the screen's size. When you move, the map is shifted in whatever direction you move. So, if you move Left, the map shifts left, and the tiles that are on the right literally vanish as they go off the screen. Because of this, I don't think there's a lag problem.

I doubt I'll need to make one that big, haha. That's good to know, though...

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
It looks like, for the most part, everything is working. I've been able to change the World Map for my games...kinda. NTME seems to be somewhat glitchy, because there is always six or seven tiles at the bottom right corner that seem to stay transparent not matter what. In a more extreme case, it's ended up looking like this:
Spoiler:

Although I don't have a clue what causes it :\

Anyway, your world map itself looks great, except for that white square. But in regards to your second question...have you changed the TILES of the World Map? Since the layout of the map is still exactly in the same shape as the original islands, I'm inclined to say that it's incredibly unlikely a glitched map would have the same shape as the original. Kanto and the Sevii Islands all use the exact same world map tiles, so if you change one, you change them all. Although, it looks like you used the same tiles...

Thank you for the response. I have not found a way yet to fix that block of mine, but a while ago I found that to fix the bottom few tiles, you must add 16 bytes of 00 to your raw tileset. So basically, I just add "00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000" at the end of this RAW file before importing into unLZ. There are apparently a lot of bugs with NTME, but I have not been able to try other tile editors yet. Also, if you don't mind, could you send me your RAW and tilemap in a PM so I can see where I am going wrong?

Finally, for the messed up tiles, I believe this is because I am using slightly different tiles from the ones in FR, so they may be in a different order so they are messing up the other map. Do I need to order them in such a way so that they match the original tilemap?

Edit: I realized that I was messing up the tiles because all 4 maps (Kanto and the 3 sevii islands) use the same tiles, but they use different tile maps! Ooops :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I'm definitely sure I'm asking a question that everyone knows, but what's the difference between having a warp at level "always 00" and "talking level 03"?

redriders180

Years
I'm definitely sure I'm asking a question that everyone knows, but what's the difference between having a warp at level "always 00" and "talking level 03"?

A warp at "Always [00]" will warp you, no matter if you're standing on a C movement permission, 4 movement permission, 10 movement permission...basically, if you step on it, it will warp you. A warp at talking level [03] will ONLY warp you if you're on a C movement permission.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
can anyone tell me if there's anything extending/expanding does besides make the ROM bigger?

i want to hack with an extended ROM for the extra space, but are there any downsides?

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
Thanks for the help guys! Got my world 100% finished. Now I'm just moving around the places with using the world map editor. However, the game still shows me Kanto's old place even though that spot has been moved. For instance. I am at Teajo Underpass, but the map is showing Kanto's old location? (Just happened to be on one of my new cities.) But if I recalled... Kanto never had a location in that far end portion of the map?

Does anybody know why this is occurring?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Hello, I have a question. I want to add some new event pictures to my hack, but I don't know how to. If this is to much to explain, could I have a link to a tutorial please? I couldn't find any on this topic...

Thanks

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
A warp at "Always [00]" will warp you, no matter if you're standing on a C movement permission, 4 movement permission, 10 movement permission...basically, if you step on it, it will warp you. A warp at talking level [03] will ONLY warp you if you're on a C movement permission.
Okay, thank you, but now I'm confused about something else. While making a cave with warps and everything, I copied the layout of the Cerulean cave entrance on the inside, where theres the door, then they have movement permission 1 over the entrance and the warp right in front of that on a C permission, but when I tried exiting my cave, it wouldnt warp and I thought it had something to do with the talking level, I now tried putting a C permission on the exit tile itself and moving the warp onto that just like they do with the entrances, but I havent tried it yet, but I want to know why this happens. Also, how come when I enter through certain warps my character is facing the opposite direction?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Thanks for the help guys! Got my world 100% finished. Now I'm just moving around the places with using the world map editor. However, the game still shows me Kanto's old place even though that spot has been moved. For instance. I am at Teajo Underpass, but the map is showing Kanto's old location? (Just happened to be on one of my new cities.) But if I recalled... Kanto never had a location in that far end portion of the map?

Does anybody know why this is occurring?

You need to change where the routes/ cities/ dungeons appear in-game through the world map editor. If you look at Taejo Underpass in the world map editor the 'Pos X/Y' should read 0/0, whereas in your instance it should be 5/0; it is this value that determines where the player's face will appear on the map in-game. You can only apply one X/Y co-ordinate per route/ city/ dungeon because the game is unable to determine when to move the player's head depending where you are (e.g if you are on an extremely long route that takes up half the map your head won't move with you) so just choose the best position you can. You need to edit these values by hand but its easy to do and shouldn't take you too long :)

Hello, I have a question. I want to add some new event pictures to my hack, but I don't know how to. If this is to much to explain, could I have a link to a tutorial please? I couldn't find any on this topic...

Thanks

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you referring to a full screen picture? If you are, then try reading this tutorial, otherwise you will have to better explain what you're trying to do.

Okay, thank you, but now I'm confused about something else. While making a cave with warps and everything, I copied the layout of the Cerulean cave entrance on the inside, where theres the door, then they have movement permission 1 over the entrance and the warp right in front of that on a C permission, but when I tried exiting my cave, it wouldnt warp and I thought it had something to do with the talking level, I now tried putting a C permission on the exit tile itself and moving the warp onto that just like they do with the entrances, but I havent tried it yet, but I want to know why this happens. Also, how come when I enter through certain warps my character is facing the opposite direction?

That is all because you are using the wrong type of tile for the exits within the cave. If you look at an unedited Mt Moon map/ tileset you will be able too see that the tile above the entrance/ exit looks like the regular ground tile (tile 281) but is actually a different number (tile 287). When you view this tile in Advance Map's Tile Editor you can see that this is necessary as tile 287 holds a behaviour byte of 0x65 which forms an arrow pointing down when you're facing down on the tile and allows you to warp when you take a step down. Once you replace the tile above your entrance/ exit with a tile that has a behaviour byte of 0x65 and return your movement permissions and warps to what they were earlier then all of your problems should be resolved.

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
Years
g9aBp.png

This happened after I edited some trainers.
How to fix this? The "Shard Version" graphic disappeared when I looked for it. Maybe Tile Molester?
Help me out, please.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you referring to a full screen picture? If you are, then try reading this tutorial, otherwise you will have to better explain what you're trying to do.

Sorry, what I mean is, overworld sprites. When you are walking around in the game and you come across an item, it is represented by a Pokeball sitting on the ground. I want to change how the Pokeball looks - like turn it into a chest or something.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
You need to change where the routes/ cities/ dungeons appear in-game through the world map editor. If you look at Taejo Underpass in the world map editor the 'Pos X/Y' should read 0/0, whereas in your instance it should be 5/0; it is this value that determines where the player's face will appear on the map in-game. You can only apply one X/Y co-ordinate per route/ city/ dungeon because the game is unable to determine when to move the player's head depending where you are (e.g if you are on an extremely long route that takes up half the map your head won't move with you) so just choose the best position you can. You need to edit these values by hand but its easy to do and shouldn't take you too long :)

Thanks! I got the cities and routes to display correctly now (however, some routes display a few tiles lower than their actual coordinates, so I have to adjust accordingly.) However, for special places, no matter what coordinate I put, it still display it in that spot you see there in my screenshot. Really weird. I also noticed that when I save a special place coordinate, it will auto match to whatever the route's coordinate is. So I figured that they have to share the same coordinate if the special place is on the same route, but I checked Fire Red's original map and saw that special places and routes can have two separate coordinates. Have you ever had such an unusual experience with the world map editor? Is it an Advance Map bug? If so, are there any alternate programs I can use? Thanks.

Also, based upon the map situations of some other users on this page, my Taejo Region have replaced Kanto, thus messing up the other 3 maps. So when it's time for me to create my sub region and Kanto extended map, would it mess up my Taejo Region map?

Last edited:

redriders180

Years
Thanks! I got the cities and routes to display correctly now (however, some routes display a few tiles lower than their actual coordinates, so I have to adjust accordingly.) However, for special places, no matter what coordinate I put, it still display it in that spot you see there in my screenshot. Really weird. I also noticed that when I save a special place coordinate, it will auto match to whatever the route's coordinate is. So I figured that they have to share the same coordinate if the special place is on the same route, but I checked Fire Red's original map and saw that special places and routes can have two separate coordinates. Have you ever had such an unusual experience with the world map editor? Is it an Advance Map bug? If so, are there any alternate programs I can use? Thanks.

Also, based upon the map situations of some other users on this page, my Taejo Region have replaced Kanto, thus messing up the other 3 maps. So when it's time for me to create my sub region and Kanto extended map, would it mess up my Taejo Region map?

In the original games, the map head would move along the route as you moved along the route as well. Since you're changing the coordinates, the head just stays in one place. I have a theory that that might be why A-map asks you to "Change Routines" before editing the map. Anyway, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it has happened to me before, without any real problems. You might just have to leave them as the same X/Y coordinate, like I did.

All four region maps use the exact same tiles, so if you replace those tiles, you mess up the other maps. So as long as you keep the current tiles the exact same throughout all four maps, you'll won't have any mess ups. If you need to edit the map tiles, the best thing you can do is replace tiles you definitely do not use, or add more tiles to the bottom of the image by making it bigger.

Years
  • Seen May 23, 2013
Hello I have a quick question. I'm planning changing the overworld sprites of pokemon on ruby version such as zigzagoon, or pikachu into other pokemon such as Dialga, or Uxie. However the width and height of the current sprites are too small to fit the new sprites. I'm using nse to change the sizes and I just wanted to know are there any problems that could occur from changing the size from a 16x16 to a 32x32 or a 64x64 to fit the new sprites?

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
Years
In the original games, the map head would move along the route as you moved along the route as well. Since you're changing the coordinates, the head just stays in one place. I have a theory that that might be why A-map asks you to "Change Routines" before editing the map. Anyway, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it has happened to me before, without any real problems. You might just have to leave them as the same X/Y coordinate, like I did.

All four region maps use the exact same tiles, so if you replace those tiles, you mess up the other maps. So as long as you keep the current tiles the exact same throughout all four maps, you'll won't have any mess ups. If you need to edit the map tiles, the best thing you can do is replace tiles you definitely do not use, or add more tiles to the bottom of the image by making it bigger.

Thing is, all special places show up at the (0,0) coordinate no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try an older Advance Map =/
Since I have to reuse the same tiles to make a new sub-region (sounds hard, is it really?) I wonder how Liquid Crystal is able to fit 2 full regions and the orange islands, impressive. Can I make an "extended" Kanto? since my region is north of Kanto hence route 25 extended route, but how would I be able to use Kanto since it needs to use the same tiles as my Taejo Region map? Am I understanding this correctly? So my subregion to the west of Taejo would be a "rearranged Taejo map." I'm sorry, I'm new to pokemon hacking and I'm not exactly sure how some things work. I'm learning though :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
I'm sure this probably has been asked somewhere before, but I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for it. How do I directly access the beginning script (with Oak asking you questions) in FireRed so I can edit it directly, instead of through Advance Text or something?

Basically, I want to be able to remove the gender select and name input events entirely, so that it's like some other RPGs which give you a more distinct main character.

redriders180

Years
Thing is, all special places show up at the (0,0) coordinate no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try an older Advance Map =/
Since I have to reuse the same tiles to make a new sub-region (sounds hard, is it really?) I wonder how Liquid Crystal is able to fit 2 full regions and the orange islands, impressive. Can I make an "extended" Kanto? since my region is north of Kanto hence route 25 extended route, but how would I be able to use Kanto since it needs to use the same tiles as my Taejo Region map? Am I understanding this correctly? So my subregion to the west of Taejo would be a "rearranged Taejo map." I'm sorry, I'm new to pokemon hacking and I'm not exactly sure how some things work. I'm learning though :) Thanks for the help.

You mean no matter what you do to the X/Y coordinates, they snap back to 0,0? I can't remember if you said if the towns are doing the same thing, since the XY coordinates need to be specified independently of which path goes where on the map.

I think you kind of got the idea. Of course, don't forget that you aren't limited in the amount of tiles you get...basically, you can add more to that current total. Additionally, it's more efficient if you make all the maps you need at the same time, and you can take the tiles from all three, put them into one tileset, make all the tilemaps using that one tileset, and you're good. Otherwise, you'll just have to work with a "rearranged Taejo map".

I'm sure this probably has been asked somewhere before, but I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for it. How do I directly access the beginning script (with Oak asking you questions) in FireRed so I can edit it directly, instead of through Advance Text or something?

Basically, I want to be able to remove the gender select and name input events entirely, so that it's like some other RPGs which give you a more distinct main character.

This is not a script-controlled event, it's an ASM-controlled event. You need to use a hex editor and an assembler/disassembler to edit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back