• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

creating brand new abilities?

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
hiii~~ is there any way to make a brand new ability, like, with it's own effect instead of reusing from an ability already listed in the Essentials?

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
It depends on what you want your ability to do. Is the ability supposed to resemble a pre-defined ability? New altogether? I can't help you with the second, but for the first, I'd recommend diving through the scripts.
The thing about abilities is, since they cover such a vast range of effects, it's impossible to contain them all in one area, so you'll have to go hunting for them.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
What do you want your ability to do?

As Derxwna and the wiki say, abilities can have so many and varied effects that it's impossible to explain how to create a "typical" one. You need to know what it should do before thinking about how to implement it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
well, I already made one ability that I'd like for it to make it so the user isn't hit by any Physical Attack when it's activated.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
well, I already made one ability that I'd like for it to make it so the user isn't hit by any Physical Attack when it's activated.

A little op when you are going against fighting type pokemon don't you think?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
That ability works like Wonder Guard, but instead of checking the move's type effectiveness against the target, it checks the move's category.

Then remains the question of what you meant by "when it's activated". Is it always on, or when "in a pinch", or what?

Maruno

Years
Well, it actually means when the Pokémon is at 1/3 HP or less, but you can have it your way. It's simple to check the user's HP/total HP at the same time as checking the move's category.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
really? I remember it was half... anyways, how do I add an ability like this to the game?

Maruno

Years
Copy an existing ability (Wonder Guard) and tweak the code to suit your needs, as I've already said. I won't do your work for you.

Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
well, where is the code? is it in a script or something? I looked in scripts and I can't find anything to do with abilities.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
well, where is the code? is it in a script or something? I looked in scripts and I can't find anything to do with abilities.
Use Crtl+Shift+F on scripts with ability internal name, this case "WONDERGUARD".

Back