• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Team

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
So, after being forced by Forever, I'm here to post my first team.
Because, let's be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing.
All advice is welcome. Help a noob out. :D
So here goes...

186.png

Modest || Drizzle || Choice Specs
252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Endless rain + special sweeper. I like sweepers. :P

121.png

Timid || Natural Cure || Choice Specs
4 HP || 252 Sp. Atk || 252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

I building my team around Starmie because I want Starmie on my team the most. I just decided to use it as my spinner yesterday thanks to Keiran777. :P
Starmie pretty much explains itself I think, special sweeper.

612.png

Adamant || Mold Breaker || Choice Band
36 HP || 252 Atk || 220 Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

I don't know about Haxorus, but I'm going to try it out.
I'm getting a lot of different opinions on Haxorus and Dragonite. I think I'll keep Haxorus for now though, I like its attack.

598.png

Relaxed || Sturdy || Leftovers
252 HP || 88 Def || 168 Sp. Def
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Only defensive 'mon I like other than Forrestress for OU. It's moveset it iffy though. Probably get changed a lot.

130.png

Adamant || Moxie || Life Orb
252 Atk || 4 Def || 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Water STAB + Politoed's Drizzle. Gyarados would be my second Physical Sweeper.

454.png

Adamant || Dry Skin || Leftovers
244 HP || 252 Atk || 12 Def
-Bulk Up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Last edited:

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Your team could really benefit from a Politoed or a dedicated Rain Dancer, with two water STABS and Ferrothorns/Forretress x4 Fire weakness. If you drop one for that, I'd go with Infernape. It's coverage is pretty much redundant with the rest of your team, it's weak to Stealth Rock, and it's best moves often have detrimental effects.

As for whether or not to use Forretress or Ferrothorn, go with Ferrothorn IMO. It's a bit less predictable than Forretress. I run with Protect, and not many people expect it, and it's won me quite a few games. Stealth Rock/Leech Seed/Protect/Power Whip is my preferred Ferrothorn moveset, but you can drop Protect with Thunder Wave.** Which means you'll need Rapid Spin on your Starmie.

If you're unsure about Haxorus, the bulkier Dragonite outclasses it in almost every way. ;(

And for item options..Life Orb is good on Gyarados, but you can also go with Lum Berry or Wacan Berry to make sure your sweep isn't interrupted. Choice Scarf makes Terrakion a really scary revenge killer, by the way.

**I never like to make a team without at least one Toxic. Thunder Wave is strong, but poison is much better for bringing down walls/stalls IMO, at least for me. But I don't know where you could put it. If you go with my Politoed suggestion, that would work well because Politoed can also Scald and Burn physical sweepers. Otherwise, I'd say replace Dragon Claw on Haxorus and use a Lum Berry to get rid of Outrage confusion. >___> I don't know, not having Toxic just scares me, lol.

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Your team could really benefit from a Politoed or a dedicated Rain Dancer, with two water STABS and Ferrothorns/Forretress x4 Fire weakness. If you drop one for that, I'd go with Infernape. It's coverage is pretty much redundant with the rest of your team, it's weak to Stealth Rock, and it's best moves often have detrimental effects.

As for whether or not to use Forretress or Ferrothorn, go with Ferrothorn IMO. It's a bit less predictable than Forretress. I run with Protect, and not many people expect it, and it's won me quite a few games. Stealth Rock/Leech Seed/Protect/Power Whip is my preferred Ferrothorn moveset, but you can drop Protect with Thunder Wave.** Which means you'll need Rapid Spin on your Starmie.

If you're unsure about Haxorus, the bulkier Dragonite outclasses it in almost every way. ;(

And for item options..Life Orb is good on Gyarados, but you can also go with Lum Berry or Wacan Berry to make sure your sweep isn't interrupted. Choice Scarf makes Terrakion a really scary revenge killer, by the way.

**I never like to make a team without at least one Toxic. Thunder Wave is strong, but poison is much better for bringing down walls/stalls IMO, at least for me. But I don't know where you could put it. If you go with my Politoed suggestion, that would work well because Politoed can also Scald and Burn physical sweepers. Otherwise, I'd say replace Dragon Claw on Haxorus and use a Lum Berry to get rid of Outrage confusion. >___> I don't know, not having Toxic just scares me, lol.
Politoed sounds like a really good idea. I edited out Infernape and added the Politoed that I currently have. It's just a set I got off smogon. :P I've never actually used it.

I do like Dragonite better than Haxorus, but I think I'll try them both out to see which one better fits me. :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024

Infernape isn't weak to SR Fire/Fighting typing negates its SR weakness.

Also Haxorus is most definately NOT outclassed by Dragonite, thats ridiculous. Just being bulkier =/= Outclassed. ._. Haxorus has much higher attack, is faster, has less weaks, isnt SR weak and its only countered or checked by 3 mons in the entire game (Skarm, Forry and Ferro, who all lose to its Dual Dance set anyway), everything else is absolutely obliterated by Outrage alone pretty much, even Steels lol, plus it has Mold Breaker which lets it annihilate Unaware Quagsire. You cant say its outclassed when its role is very different to that of D-Nite.

Anyway, run Dual Chop over D-Claw on Haxorus, its rather helpful for hitting around dumb Dragonites, Whimsicott, Breloom etcs subs should you face them.

Also Ferro wants SR somewhere on its set. SR is much more useful than Spikes when you have to choose between the two. SR hits basically everything in the game.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Terrakion feels...out of place to me. Since you have Politoed on the team, Drizzle will amplify Terrakion's Water weakness. How about Toxicroak? It benefits from the eternal rain Politoed brings:
-Bulk Up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Needs a description of each Pokémon, just makes it easier to rate ;)

There was, but I took them out when I was changing my team around. I'll add some descriptions again soon. :)

Infernape isn't weak to SR Fire/Fighting typing negates its SR weakness.

Also Haxorus is most definately NOT outclassed by Dragonite, thats ridiculous. Just being bulkier =/= Outclassed. ._. Haxorus has much higher attack, is faster, has less weaks, isnt SR weak and its only countered or checked by 3 mons in the entire game (Skarm, Forry and Ferro, who all lose to its Dual Dance set anyway), everything else is absolutely obliterated by Outrage alone pretty much, even Steels lol, plus it has Mold Breaker which lets it annihilate Unaware Quagsire. You cant say its outclassed when its role is very different to that of D-Nite.

Anyway, run Dual Chop over D-Claw on Haxorus, its rather helpful for hitting around dumb Dragonites, Whimsicott, Breloom etcs subs should you face them.

Also Ferro wants SR somewhere on its set. SR is much more useful than Spikes when you have to choose between the two. SR hits basically everything in the game.

Switched Spikes for SR.
I'm going to keep using Haxorus for now and see what happens.

/tries to act like she's not confused.

Terrakion feels...out of place to me. Since you have Politoed on the team, Drizzle will amplify Terrakion's Water weakness. How about Toxicroak? It benefits from the eternal rain Politoed brings:
-Bulk Up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin

I didn't even think of that. LOL. I added it mostly as a filler.
I'll give Toxicroak a try.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2022
Hi mia ;)
Ok,
1. I guess Your lead should be Politoad or something that's not Starmie. I like that Starmie's set too, but use it later :)
2. Change Thunderbolt for Thunder (you have a rain team, where Thunder has 100% of accuracy)
3. You are too weak for electric-type attacks. If you like Water-types use Swampert, Gastrodon or Quagsire.
4. I guess you should take Choice Band to Haxorus and teach him Dragon Dance.
5. I preffer Ice fang to Stone Edge, but it is your decision.
6. Power Whip is a good move for a Ferrothorn

That's just my opinion ;) Great team

NothingPersonal

The vietnamese pokemon master.
Years
If you're running rain, then dugtrio is good for trapping other weather starters (abomasnow is an exception, though it doesn't like taking stone edges to the face).
Spoiler:

Rapid Spin Starmie with a Life Orb might be a little troublesome, taking 10% off for just spinning away rocks. Power whip is a better move for Ferro because of it's superior coverage, and gives you the ability to outspace opposing Ferros. Your team also seems very offensive, but I think there should be another pokemon other than Ferro tanking hits for the team. Might I suggest a Relaxed Bronzong with HP ice to check Gliscor/Dragonite?

Last edited:

Melinda

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Hi mia ;)
Ok,
1. I guess Your lead should be Politoad or something that's not Starmie. I like that Starmie's set too, but use it later :)
2. Change Thunderbolt for Thunder (you have a rain team, where Thunder has 100% of accuracy)
3. You are too weak for electric-type attacks. If you like Water-types use Swampert, Gastrodon or Quagsire.
4. I guess you should take Choice Band to Haxorus and teach him Dragon Dance.
5. I preffer Ice fang to Stone Edge, but it is your decision.
6. Power Whip is a good move for a Ferrothorn

That's just my opinion ;) Great team

Thanks for all the advice! I changed Tbolt to Thunder.
I'm thinking of removing Haxorus for Gastrodon or Bronzong.

If you're running rain, then dugtrio is good for trapping other weather starters (abomasnow is an exception, though it doesn't like taking stone edges to the face).
Spoiler:

Rapid Spin Starmie with a Life Orb might be a little troublesome, taking 10% off for just spinning away rocks. Power whip is a better move for Ferro because of it's superior coverage, and gives you the ability to outspace opposing Ferros. Your team also seems very offensive, but I think there should be another pokemon other than Ferro tanking hits for the team. Might I suggest a Relaxed Bronzong with HP ice to check Gliscor/Dragonite?

I love your suggestions, but I'm not sure what to take out to try Bronzong. Maybe Haxorus/Gyarados.
@_@

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
Years
You sort of lack a dedicated revenger, a magnezone+dragon combo can really hurt you. Consider attaching a Choice Scarf to Gyarados. In rain, when Gyarados uses Waterfall it has the equivalent of a +1 DD boost immediately. It also goes together like bread & butter with its role, because after it revenge kills Moxie activates and gives it a +1 attack boost, making it even more formidable.

Gyarados @Choice Scarf
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Stone Edge

That sort of overloads your team with choice items users though, so I would consider swapping Choice Specs on Starmie with Life Orb and Rapid Spin for Recover. You already have Toxicroak to absorb Toxic Spikes, and nothing on your team is really hurt by Stealth Rock. Unless you're planning to trade Haxorus in for Dragonite, in which case Rapid Spin is the superior choice.

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
So, after being forced by Forever, I'm here to post my first team.
Because, let's be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing.
All advice is welcome. Help a noob out. :D
So here goes...

186.png

Modest || Drizzle || Choice Specs
252 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Endless rain + special sweeper. I like sweepers. :P

You wouldn't want Drizzle to stop right away when there would be other weather-starting pokemons. A defensive lead would be nice. It's aim is to make it rain all battle long.
I'm not that good with EV spread, so just a suggestion.
Scald would be better than Hydro Pump, 30% Burn Rate is ouch, but since it drizzles. Hydro Pump is still good. It can also carry Hypnosis/Toxic to troll around. Protect to be more defensive.

121.png

Timid || Natural Cure || Choice Specs
4 HP || 252 Sp. Atk || 252 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin

I building my team around Starmie because I want Starmie on my team the most. I just decided to use it as my spinner yesterday thanks to Keiran777. :P
Starmie pretty much explains itself I think, special sweeper.

Starmie is an awesome spinner, no doubt with that, but it also needs a variety of moves. Life Orb can be used instead of Specs and also carry Recover over Thunder/Ice Beam.

612.png

Adamant || Mold Breaker || Choice Band
36 HP || 252 Atk || 220 Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Dual Chop

I don't know about Haxorus, but I'm going to try it out.
I'm getting a lot of different opinions on Haxorus and Dragonite. I think I'll keep Haxorus for now though, I like its attack.

598.png

Relaxed || Sturdy || Leftovers
252 HP || 88 Def || 168 Sp. Def
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Only defensive 'mon I like other than Forrestress for OU. It's moveset it iffy though. Probably get changed a lot.

Gyroball over T-Wave for better coverage. Give it also 0 speed IV's.

130.png

Adamant || Moxie || Life Orb
252 Atk || 4 Def || 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Water STAB + Politoed's Drizzle. Gyarados would be my second Physical Sweeper.

Bulky Gyarados would be awesome too, it has better chance of survival and do its dance.

454.png

Adamant || Dry Skin || Leftovers
244 HP || 252 Atk || 12 Def
-Bulk Up
-Substitute
-Drain Punch
-Sucker Punch

Miaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you're battling now. =DDDD
Overall, I just want to say that you need a bit more defense on your side. An all-out attack team is good, but there should still be balance. :D
Also, you lack some "fire"power.

Last edited:
Back