• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Infraction system information and questions

Sublime

Blimey!
Years
Clearly it depends on the topic. If the topic is "What do you think of [Pokemon]?", then I want to be able to say "He looks dumb." and leave it at that. Adding meanlingless drivel like "this is just my opinion" or "that's just me" is pointless, and I think it makes me look stupid.

Also, if I was REALLY concerned about my post count, I would have more than 50 posts in 4 months.

That's why you add things to back up your opinion.
"He looks dumb," would of course break the rules. Back it up a bit.
Say something like, "This Pokemon looks pretty unappealing in my opinion. The design is uncreative and the colours aren't really eye pleasing."

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Clearly it depends on the topic. If the topic is "What do you think of [Pokemon]?", then I want to be able to say "He looks dumb." and leave it at that. Adding meanlingless drivel like "this is just my opinion" or "that's just me" is pointless, and I think it makes me look stupid.

Also, if I was REALLY concerned about my post count, I would have more than 50 posts in 4 months.

What a poor excuse...

Clearly it does not depend on the topic. The only topics that are dependable on this are topics located in Other Trivia, and even those refrain from allowing members post any less than 25 characters. And honestly, if you're having a difficult time reaching 25 characters, you aren't putting enough thought in the post. You can't just say what you want to say without any reasoning behind it and the example of a topic you provided is what you're trying to talk about, your response saying that "He looks dumb." isn't even worth to reply. First of all, who looks dumb? Why does he look dumb?

You think saying "this is just my opinion" or "that's just me" is makes you look stupid, but posting without reasoning doesn't? I don't know what forum you came from in regards to that, but stating your opinion on a question and not having anything to back that opinion up would make a lot of the older, more mature members, look down on you. Whether or not you're concerned about that isn't my interest, but if you don't want to look dumb, refrain from just stating your opinion.

I think I would know a lot about this seeing as how I am a moderator of an opinion-based forum. I don't really allow people to just state their opinion on something without an explanation unless it's a discussion thread or a chat thread of some form or another and members who frequent Other Entertainment can tell you that.

A while ago, I posted a thread about acceptability in posts at Other Entertainment that can apply to just about any forum where opinions are generated in some form or another, which is all of them.

Just follow the following checklist [...].

1. Does my post relate to the topic at hand?
  2. Does my post state a general opinion of said topic?
  3. Do I provide reasoning for my opinion?
  4. Overall, does this post reflect my intelligence in a positive manner?

I assure you, if you follow that simple list of questions and answer them honestly, your time at Other Entertainment and every other opinion-based forum would go by smoothly. A simple example of this would be the following post on the topic of "My favorite clothing store". The post is short, simple and to the point, which is all you really need to state in opinion-based threads. (Discussion threads are a different story, since Other Entertainment has those types of threads as well)

(1) My favorite clothing store (2) is Hollister Co. (3) I find their clothes comfortable and reasonably priced for a name brand clothing company. Along with their clothes, they offer fragrances that really freshen up someone.

1. "My favorite clothing store" provides insight of the topic at hand.
  2. "is Hollister Co." states your opinion on said topic.
  3. "I find their clothes comfortable and reasonably priced for a name brand clothing company. Along with their clothes, they offer fragrances that really freshen up someone." provides reasoning of your opinion.
  4. When all is said and done, you provide yourself a chance to ask yourself if this post reflects your intelligence in a positive manner.

With that being said, you can still reach 25 characters, state your opinion, and do it in a way not mentioning the fact that it's your opinion or it's how you feel about whatever the discussion about.

Honestly? Why make excuses for yourself.. I mean, seriously. There's really no reason why you should feel that 25 characters is such a difficult limit to reach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Remember kids, we're a forum, not a chatroom.

Holy mother of quotes! :O

Heck, I personally think 25 characters ain't enough, and the rules aren't strict enough.

Plus, if you are even here, you've had English classes and you have had to make those nasty (not really) 500 word essays to be old enough to understand online. If you haven't gone through English you are not old enough to be here in the first place!

So what the hell is wrong with 25 letters with a freaking keyboard that saves your hand from getting punked?

Years
Plus, if you are even here, you've had English classes and you have had to make those nasty (not really) 500 word essays to be old enough to understand online. If you haven't gone through English you are not old enough to be here in the first place!

Not everyone is from a anglophone country, y'know. Many people will have learnt English as a foreign language in school or in their own time, and as the mean age of members on PC seems to be around fourteen or fifteen it's doubtful that they've written even short essays in the language. Protip: your own country =/= centre of the world.

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Not everyone is from a anglophone country, y'know. Many people will have learnt English as a foreign language in school or in their own time, and as the mean age of members on PC seems to be around fourteen or fifteen it's doubtful that they've written even short essays in the language. Protip: your own country =/= centre of the world.

Although the United States is not really the center, other countries to even have internet access must at least have the intelligence to educate in their language, and same must apply if they are learning English, it CANNOT be that hard.

Plus, I'm Mexican >_>, and even in Mexico we have that education.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Although the United States is not really the center, other countries to even have internet access must at least have the intelligence to educate in their language, and same must apply if they are learning English, it CANNOT be that hard.

Plus, I'm Mexican >_>, and even in Mexico we have that education.
So? That is Mexico. It shares the border with an English speaking country! People in Europe sure could learn it but how bout the members from the Middle east and Asia? Not all people here can speak english or have done English lessons. Here for students to do so per year they have to pay over 100 euros for going to a lesson after school for over 7 years. Thats a lot of money and some people cannot afford it. Also the 25 limit thing is perfect. Over that would be ridiculous cause the forum games would be boring(when has a game ever been forced into boring land?) not to mention some stuff don't need more then 5 sentences.

Spinor

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
I don't think you understood me well, I meant English as in the educational Literature class, not the language >.<

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2010
I received a warning about swearing or censor bypass in my message I do not recall doing any of the two. Does it has to do with the e-mail that I receive from the site that end up in the my spam mail? Though I did add the e-mail address to the address book just a few minutes ago.

Rukario

Banned
Years
I received a warning about swearing or censor bypass in my message I do not recall doing any of the two. Does it has to do with the e-mail that I receive from the site that end up in the my spam mail? Though I did add the e-mail address to the address book just a few minutes ago.

your recent one should have been a custom warning.. can't say it went through properly though as we were under that DDoS attack at the time.. If you want more clarification as to what it is for, PM me.

Franceschi

a.k.a justin timberlake
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 5, 2015
Is there a way to get rid of infractions faster than waiting the normal time period?
No, sorry. The infractions and warnings stay there for the timed allegated, unless a staff member sees fit to reverse - that said, it's very rare for that to happen. You're just going to have to wait it out and the infraction will expire when it expires.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
How long does it take for a Expired Infraction to disappear off your Control Panel? And do Infractions ever disappear off your profile page?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
How long does it take for a Expired Infraction to disappear off your Control Panel? And do Infractions ever disappear off your profile page?

Infractions and Warnings expire after a set time period set by the issuer, however the only way for them to actually be removed from your CP is for an Admin to wipe them off or a server reset.
Since the only people that can see them are the Staff and You, if you don't want to see them anymore, you'll have to just collapse that section in you CP home by clicking the arrows in the upper right side of that section.

Kazukii

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 2, 2009
I know this is a little late but I may as well ask.. I got an infraction a few months back (hasn't expired) for one spam message worth 3 points. But after looking at the table on page one it says "constant spam" equals 3 points.. I don't think I'd made any previous spammy posts. :)

Back