• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen beating Ultra Necrozma

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
It was very difficult. I had no idea this would happen, and got destroyed as a result. I loved making up a strategy for this battle, which involved using a focus sash and the move toxic.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 21, 2018
hahahaha its difficult but before i battled him i saved the game first but i lost against him 2 times after every lost i rest the game and finaly in the 3th time i beated him by a perfect strategy specials thanks to magnezone he was verry usefull the only advise i can told everyone here is to take a steel pokemon with you coz of his defensif state

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Honestly...it was badly-done.

You've just fought a level 50 fused Necrozma, and your team at this point is around level 50-55. As soon as you chase Necrozma into Ultra Megalopolis and the top of Megalo Tower, you'll soon realise how much he outmatches you - he's level 60, has +1 in all stats (which are really high), amazing coverage and a built-in Expert Belt. The game gives you almost no warning about it until right before you go in, leaving little room to grind and prepare for what is probably the most difficult Pokemon battle in the series so far. It's no surprise that a lot of people have died on this battle alone.

It seems that a lot of people, me included, have had to resort to cheap tactics in order to beat him despite it not being what the game intends you to do. A common strategy was to lead with a Zoroark disguised as a Pokemon weak to Psychic, and spam a Dark attack such as Foul Play or Dark Pulse without fear of Necrozma hitting you. Another similar strategy is to use Malamar and either invert his boosts or Foul Play it. But to be honest...the fact you're forced to use strategies like this puts a strain on teambuilding, taking the fun out of a game where you can get through using whatever mons you want.

Years
I feel relieved that I'm far from the only one that thought Ultra Necrozma was kind of a pain in the ass.

... and honestly? I also thought it was kinda refreshing, as frustrating as it was. I don't remember the last time I've ever had a challenging legendary battle aside from like... Mewtwo. Most legendaries you can wall fairly easily, but Ultra Necrozma was my first legitimate challenging, which is refreshing to see!

Although unfortunately I think I've had to sacrifice a good few of my team members to bring it down. But eventually, I did.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 18, 2018
Hello friends, I just finished battling Necrozma (this is my first seriously played game since maybe X and Y, ORAS was boring as heck), and I thought it was nice to have something so difficult. It forced me to use Pokemon that I normally wouldn't have used (level 54 +spd Return Lopunny killed it after thunder punch paralyzed it because a monotype dragon team at level 50 is actually not that great). ORAS was bland because the legendary battles were all easy, and the same was the case with X and Y. The original Sun/Moon were also only okay with battle difficulty. This game was good. I'm glad the directors stopped moving towards making the game easy for kids to forcing you to actually plan moves and pokemon or strategize your compositions and whatnot.

Last edited:

Tashiro

Total Perspective Vortex
Years
On my second playthrough, I built up a Pokemon just for beating Necrozma: Malamar with topsy-turvy. Should've kept Foul Play on it, now that I think about it. Even with all that preparation from literally the first few hours of the game, I lost horribly until I buffed my Pokemon all the way with Refresh.

Once I hit it with topsy-turvy, it went down in one or two hits.

This isn't even the worst battle in the game. That would be the postgame battle where it's 2v1 and you're constantly being put to sleep. Luckily, I planned for that, too.

Years
I don't remember how I beat it exactly. Each of my team members were wiped out with a single blow the first few tries, but somehow I managed a way to beat it.

But that was then. My concern right now is how I'll beat it with my current (mono grass) team...

Years
I was also quite lucky in this regard. Having spent the my first few hours hunting for a shiny larvitar in diggletts cave, I had T-Tar (lvl 57) on hand with crunch and darkinium z to bring the pain on Ultra Necrozma.

I highly recommend using roto boost! I used two on T-Tar before using the Z move and that OHKO'd the dragon of light.

Long story short, use roto powers and try your best to be prepared ahead of time

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Long story short, use roto powers and try your best to be prepared ahead of time

Being prepared ahead of time may be tough if it's your first time playing the game. A lot of us were caught out by the sudden level spike when the game normally expects high 40s to low 50s at this point, and also that there are only a certain amount of mons you can pick up that will actually lay the hurt on Ultra Necrozma, such as your aforementioned Tyranitar, and Zoroark. Steels are also good because they resist all of his moves, but even if you know what's coming the problem is that it basically forces you to waste a teamslot just for it, putting a strain on teambuilding in a game where anything could otherwise work.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
I was going in kinda dreading this battle, if I recall correctly I ended up having to rely on revive-spamming Mimikyu to win it in my last run, but I'm not using Mimikyu this run and have been avoiding giving anyone Z-crystals.

Things went surprisingly well this time. My team was around level 61. I lead with Decidueye, who dodged the first Photon Geyser, thank you Refresh, and gets off a crit Spirit Shackle that takes it down to about 1/3 HP. (Max affection + scope lens makes my Decidueye a crit machine). Decidueye tanks a second Photon Geyser and survives with HP in the red, a second Spirit Shackle knocks Necrozma into the red. Decidueye goes down on the next turn, my +Speed Ribombee comes out, attempts to Dazzling Gleam, gets one-shot by Power Gem without getting a move in. Pangoro comes out next, tanks a Dragon Pulse and survives with HP in the red, and deals a finishing blow with Crunch.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Inkay/Malamar trivialize the game. Having Contrary isn't as effective starting at around the second island where wild Pokémon begin to have more diversified movepools, but it gets replaced by Topsy-Turvey, which invalidates every single boss as they all use stat buffs as a way to implement higher difficulty. I had no idea Ultra Necrozma was even a thing when I was playing Ultra Sun, but once I saw it got all its stats buffed, all I had to do was send out Malamar (who has impressive natural bulk), tank a hit, and answer back with Topsy-Turvey.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
Years
I believe that Pokemon should have some difficulty, but the way to do this is definitely not Ultra Necrozma, basically able to sweep a entire team with OHKO's, i tried 5 times before going back to catch and train a rattata for the F.E.A.R trick, (mind you, all my pokemon were at least 5-10 levels above Necrozma due to the EXP Share)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I also had a Malamar in my team so it was fairly handy for this battle. I had been spoiled on its difficulty by the internet (and also what with doing Daily articles about the game) on it being rather hard, so I had some idea about it (plus I didn't play the game that quickly...).

Sirfetch’d

I don't remember how I beat it the first time but my last play through of USUM was a Castform solo and that was rather rough. I ended up having to resort to Roto Boosts and a Z-Shadow Ball to defeat it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I remember quite back far when facing Necrozma. I tried many things such as outspeed it with quick claw, but it swipes my team. until I came a way to handle it: I use Gengar as first line up, then start using Destiny Bond soon as it 1-shot my gengar, necrozoma is good as gone. It pretty much handling its weakness to almost every team you setup expect a destiny bond gengar which can easily ko him if you are lucky to use it first.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Hmm, I used a dark type Pokemon. Realistically, there's no easy way to beat Ultra Necrozma without one.... unless you use Rotom Boosts, which I didn't for this battle.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
Hmm, I used a dark type Pokemon. Realistically, there's no easy way to beat Ultra Necrozma without one.... unless you use Rotom Boosts, which I didn't for this battle.

Ghost Mono worked fine for me.

was really annoyed that I didn't realize that Ultra Necroz packed Smart Strike which oneshot my Mimikyu. I also forgot that it was part Dragon so I could have 2hkod it with Play Rough but I wasted a turn swords dancing. Gengar/Decidueye put it into range for mimikyu to be revived and have the last laugh, however.

Back