• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The Original Starters

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
TMvQM.gif

The original starters - Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. Which of these Pok?mon did you feel most inclined to pick? Why did you end up choosing one starter over the other Pok?mon?

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
Well I honestly like them all. But Charmander was one of the first Pokemon I knew about and I loved it from the start.

Tholek

Pokemon
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
I choose Squirtle because of the rock gym was so hard with Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
Years
Razor Leaf against that big pile of rock hardly hit nothing but with Squirtle bubbles now that's what i'm talking about. :P

That... doesn't make a lot of sense.. Since Razor Leaf has more power than bubble... But fair enough if that was your experience!

I was always drawn to Charmander! Lucky there was a nice place to the side of Viridian to catch a handy Mankey to Lowkick Brocks heavy Rock Type Pokemon!

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
That... doesn't make a lot of sense.. Since Razor Leaf has more power than bubble... But fair enough if that was your experience!

I was always drawn to Charmander! Lucky there was a nice place to the side of Viridian to catch a handy Mankey to Lowkick Brocks heavy Rock Type Pokemon!

I feel like Charmander was always a risky investment as a starter; Rock with Brock and Water with Misty just led for a bad time!

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2018
Always Charmander, mostly because Charizard was awesome! My team mostly consisted of just Charizard, HM slaves and Snorlax so that I could switch Charizard out to heal it XD

Years
I think i'll choose Bulbasaur. I have a Venusaur in my Pokemon Blue game, and he's lit. I nicknamed him Chase. :)

I also used to have a Bulbasaur beanie baby plushie thing so nostalgia.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Jun 21, 2017
:10: Lets start with Charmander. It haves the best attack and speed stats.
:11: Bulbasaur haves the most HP and haves the most balanced stats and a good defense.
:9: Squirtle haves the best defense stats but the lower HP.

In the early game, Bulbasaur seems to be the most helpful starter, and Charmander the worst choice.

After gym number 3, the best pok?mon will be Charmander that evolved into a Charmeleon, and the worst will be Ivysaur (evolved Bulbasaur).

At the end (last 2 gyms and Elite 4) Blastoise is the best and will do better than others.

So, for me, I think the best starter is Squirtle :9::t008::t009:
:)
Hope it helped,
Kinami

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
Charmander was my first ever Pokémon.
I recently started Blue again and he was my choice this time round....again.

I do however trade over Bulbasaur and Squirtle later on.

Years
Without any prior knowledge to types, evolutions, and all that I started off with Squirtle. It looked cute with those little eyes and that tail. To put things into perspective I bought the game after some kids on the playground were playing and I watched them in Viridian forest. I had no idea what pokemon even was. My first question: "So is Pikachu like the leader of all the pokemon?" To which kids started to laugh. I saw the image of pikachu pretty much everywhere and assumed he was their "leader" or something lol. I had no idea pokemon had trainers or fought each other, or anything. I was so clueless! XD

But Squirtle called to me and his head looked like a little round ball so I gave him the name BB after the BBs from a pellet gun :P

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Since I never owned Red or Blue(I have Yellow), I never had the luxury of having the option of picking between the starters(I always got Pikachu) and instead of having just one, I eventually get all 3. However, if I had to pick between the three starters, I'd probably go with Squirtle. He owns Brock quite easily. Is an exceptional backup option against Misty since he's the same type. Isn't needed against Lt.Surge since Sandshrew or Diglett rule the day. Erica will cause a problem but Vulpix or another Fire or Flying type wins the day here. Can own Koga with Ice type moves, although Fire is the more effective element. Has decent defense and power to knock out Sabrina's Psychic types. He own's Blaine's Fire types and need I say more against Viridian's ground type Pokemon?

Squirtle pretty much has a purpose through 90% of the game with two Gym Leaders really giving him problems. However by the time you reach them, you will have a better option to fight them head on and win convincingly. He's a natural option for Surf and can handle two of the Elite 4 by knocking out Bruno and being your source for Ice type moves against Lance. The other two starters just don't have that type of flexibility that Squirtle brings to the table.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2023
Charmander was my first pick... 3 playthroughs later I picked Bulbasaur and it became my favorite till now.

I picked Squirtle the first time last month, It was awesome but I still prefer the other better water pokemon (Starmie/Slowbro) or the cooler ones (Cloyster)..

Razor Leaf against that big pile of rock hardly hit nothing but with Squirtle bubbles now that's what i'm talking about. :P

But Onix is 4 times weak to Grass. Vine Whips can OHKO Onix. you don't get Razor Leaf until level 27 (30 with Ivysaur) later and if you did really had Razor Leaf so your Bulbasaur would be way too overleveled and basically sweep Brock without blinking.

Back