• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Sorts of Genres of Video Games are you Best at?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
As the title suggests, are there genres of games (ie. racing, first person shooter, fighting, puzzle, etc.) are you especially good at? As a result, what sorts of video games are you good at that fits in those genres?

For example, I find myself more best at turn-based RPG games like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, etc. I'm also pretty good at games that incorporate a bit of puzzle solving like the Legend of Zelda series games.

By the way, if you're wondering about all of the genres, you can take a look at the list of the genres of video games here.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Simple, shooters and rpgs of most if not all kinds are what define me nowadays but I'm no stranger to the occasional rts every now and then.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Fighting games, rhythm games, puzzles and especially platformers (and puzzle platformers! like Wario Land and Donkey Kong 94) are what I'm best at. Hence, they're my favorite genres. I have no problem playing the likes of Super Mario Bros, Rhythm Heaven, Street Fighter, etc. I'm also pretty good at adventure games, kart racers and arcade racers. Everything else I'm at least decent with.

I do hate RPGs and the likes of it though, especially JRPGs and MMORPGs. It's not that I suck at them, not at all, but I really don't like them. I'm OK with SRPGs though like Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Muani

miau
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
My favorite genre is "bullet hell/curtain" Danmaku games.

Extremely fun.. and I am good.

Spoiler:

Other favorite is JRPG and MMORPG. Fighter and platformer.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Fighting Games. (2D and 3D)
oh god the list here is long... But mainly Guilty Gear, Soul Calibur and Tekken. These are the ones I play the most. (also M.U.G.E.N. Is worth mentioning)
Puzzle games. (at times)
cant realy name one. They are not that memorable but Im pretty good at them.
2D action
Castlevania, metroid, megaman, Contra series.
3D action (also hack and slash)
DMC, MGS, Devil Kings (Sengoku Basara)
Etc.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Whatever, specifically, Monster Hunter is; 'action adventure' could mean anything.
Also good at FPSs, whatever their style. I only really enjoy Tribes Ascend these days though.
I could be good at RTS games (including MOBAs) and probably was at a point, but their communities are too competitive.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2013
I think being somewhat decent in Monster Hunter is worth mentioning. I'm generally okay with most action games(Dark Souls, Chaos Legion, DMC3/4, Bayo etc.), but I'm not a super twitcher that can keep up an SSS streak in Dante Must Die mode and not die.

I really don't see getting good in a turn base RPG as something worth boasting about.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'm not very good at many video games, as I often require a strategy guide (or a quick ol' look at GameFAQs) in order to complete even the simplest games. But I have quite a good knack for platformers - both the old school 8-bit varities and the more modern ones. I don't play an awful lot of them, but I normally tend to come unstuck a lot less than if I were to play an RPG or puzzle game or the like.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I'm only good at whatever genre of game Pokemon is, with all other games I'm loosing interest in playing them.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I'm pretty much good at anything except racing, fighting, and most FPS games. Like I'm pretty bad at Smash Bros, and the only FPS I was decent at was Modern Warfare 2, and I've sucked at every racing game post-Mario Kart 64. Though I'm freaking awesome at Star Fox/SF 64, that's probably the only shooting related game I'm great at.

I normally excel at RPGs, puzzle games, strategy games, and platformers. Probably because they're the only ones I'm typically ever interested in playing.

Years
Easily topping the list for me is sports games. Even if it's one that I haven't played before, I can generally pick it up, and within an hour of practice, I can easily hang with other players online.

Much further down the line would be fighting games, but those that are more simulation style like boxing/wrestling/MMA games, and less so those like Tekken and Street Fighter. I also seem to have a knack for racing games, even if I don't play them all that often.

Years
Given most of my childhood involved me playing games like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank you can say I'm an ace at platforming games!

It's one of the easiest genres out there, but I think I'm good at fighting games as well since I did play a few of the Tekken games in my early gaming days, and also a few racing games.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
RPGs,MMORPGs, simulation games and action adventure games are my specialty

im average at shooters which isnt good enough these days with alot of the mid-core gamers being hardcore on de shooterz. i dont really play any other genres but the ones i mentioned im good at and the only reason im not that great at the other genres is i dont play them much or at all.( i used to be godly at socom though)

Naturalles

OHHHHHHHH!!
Years
Shooter, RPG, MMORPGs and adventure. Not to forget puzzle, I'm well good at these.

Well, when it comes to shooting, I play hardcore even though I'm a girl. :P

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I'm generally good at Puzzle games, and also Platformers. I'm only good at the old FPS genre, anything from 1990-2005 era. I'm also very good at the driving genre, and my favorite game from that is Crash Team Racing.

Back