• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goodies' Tutorials!

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Well, I finally released that I should share some of the things I know about Rom Hacking. One person already knew about me making a tut, this person was Cierra. Yeah, do you remember us talking about it? So let me get on with my teachings!

GoodiesTuts.png

Completed Tutorials

• Indexing and inserting Sprites - Note: Images are now here!
Soon to come Tutorials

• I don't know, any ideas? I cba to do a scripting one so don't ask :P

Indexing And Inserting Sprites:

Well, I have seen that many people have problems inserting new Pokémon into their hacks. Well, I am somewhat of an expert on this subject. I insert Pokémon for myself and many hacks such as Torzach and Granite. I have also had many requests from other members to insert Pokémon into their rom hacks, unfortunately due to me being busy I have to decline their requests. So, I am hoping this tutorial will help people. So, shall we get on with it?

Tools

Well obviously you will need some tools, here they are:

• Irfanview - If you don't have it, Google it!
  • Hacked Unlz.Gba - Find it in Hackmew's Tool Factory
  • MS Paint - Comes with any Microsoft computer.
  • Your Sprite - Isn't it obvious?
  • Any Free space finder - I will be using FSF. Hackmew's factory again. :P
Step One:

1. Open up your sprite in MS Paint. Make sure you resize it to 64x64.
2. Colour the background a colour that is not used by your sprite. So, for Piplup I suggest using a lime green colour. Maybe RBG = 112, 192, 160. That is what I use on most of my sprites.
Spoiler:

Step Two:

1. Okay, now you open your saved sprite in Irfanview
2. Select the images tab then scroll down to decrease colour depth. Now, you click 16 colour bit and then okay.
3. Now, scroll up to images again and this time go down to palletes. Click edit palletes.
4. Now a new window showing the 16 colours of the sprite will show up. Swap the background colour and the left most colour round.
5. Now, save your sprite. But as a different name to the original. But, don't delete the original yet.
Spoiler:

Step Three:

1. Now open two windows of MS Paint. One containing the original MS Paint sprite, and the other the edited Irfanview sprite.
2. Go to the original sprite and press either Crtl + A or select all, then copy the sprite. Then go to the Irfanview sprite and paste it over the top.
3. Now, save the sprite as whatever you want.
4. If you have correctly followed these steps you have indexed a sprite!
Spoiler:

Step Four:

1. Open Hacked Unlz.Gba and find the Pokémon you want to replace.
2. Now you have the correct Pokémon you want to replace, click import. Now select the Pokémon that you indexed before.
3. Now select write to Rom, and a little window will appear. Now tick the three boxes Export Image, Automatically fix pointers and auto abort if to big. Then select okay. Now, do exactly the same but un-tick Export image and select export pallete.
4. Now, if you have done everything right, then you have now inserted a new Pokémon into your Rom.
5. Open your Rom and try it out :P
Spoiler:

Author's Note:

Well, if you have any problems with this tutorial then feel free to PM or VM me. Maybe even post here xD. I really hope this helps you with all your hacks :P

Last edited by a moderator:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
This is a good tutorial goodies its just that.....
YOU NEED SOME SCREENSHOTS!!!!
Screenshots make everything easier and makes more people want to post in your thread

Screenshots + :D

No Screenshots = D:

Anyways its a nice tutorial just add some screenies

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Wonderful tutorial. I'll be sure to use it ;D

Also, Goodies told me he's going to upload screenshots for this tomorrow, so expect those then.

Btw, you should do a CSS tutorial next! :)

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
Years
Wow..

I'm going to practice now, then hopefully, later, I can insert them myself. (I get help from watermelon)

Logan

Years
This is a good tutorial goodies its just that.....
YOU NEED SOME SCREENSHOTS!!!!
Screenshots make everything easier and makes more people want to post in your thread

Screenshots + :D

No Screenshots = D:

Anyways its a nice tutorial just add some screenies

Yeah, thanks and screens are on their way :P

Wonderful tutorial. I'll be sure to use it ;D

Also, Goodies told me he's going to upload screenshots for this tomorrow, so expect those then.

Btw, you should do a CSS tutorial next! :)

Yup I did, but it was almost three in the morning when I made this so I couldn't be bothered to make screens then xD. If you really want me to :P

Aha, aha, who taught you that?
Aha, aha, I did! :)
Don't need any credits though...
Nice tutorial, pretty useful!

I actually has credits to you in Shining Yellow :P. Yeah, you briefly explained to me and then I started doing it really well xD

I'm going to practice now, then hopefully, later, I can insert them myself. (I get help from watermelon)

Thanks, sorry I couldn't help you. I am a bit busy I have been loaded with doing some fakemon for Shian before Beta 1 xD

Vednix

:D
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 13, 2010
hm.. Good tutorial!
Things you need: SCREENSHOTS =D

Question: Does this work with backsprites also?

Logan

Years
Yeah, I am actually making the screens right now :P Yeah exactly the same method for back sprites.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
I would add one thing to the backsprites:
The space between the sprite and the end of the pic must be the same.
If it is above, it will look weird.
If it is below, you will waste space.

Logan

Years

Do you think I should do a complete tutorial on backsprites? Anyways I added screenshots xD

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
A very detailed and clear tutorial. I like the screen shots. I hope to see more of your tutorials.
Good luck.

Logan

Years
Thanks, got any requests? I can do most thing except insert tiles :P I'm not sure what to do next.

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Well, maybe changing the intro background, or title screen. Also, maybe the background where you encounter a Pokemon. Anything would do xD

Nikkie.

Nikeiphoros, eh?
Years
I can't..

I just can't index sprites, for some reason. It's all done, but when I insert it, with the free space, they end up blurry.

I ripped the swablu (Or whatever it's called) and indexed it. And I inserted it to my ROM. I think my trouble is, Resizing..

Years
Nice tuto even I know this before.

Can you make a tuto for insert backsprites of the male and female character (the two in the same time) of Pokemon Diamond in Pokemon Ruby?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
What do you mean by this? I dunno, I just don't get it. Do you mean like it's gotta be on the bottom of the sprite..?

Back