• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [Hack of the Year 2009] Pokémon: Azure Horizons

Ven

Tyrian
Years
  • Seen Mar 19, 2011
Wow, this game is one of the best hack's I've played, I really love the mapping style, and the scripting is second only to Liquid Ocean in my mind.
Anyways, I have a bit of a problem in game, I've been backtracking for a while now, and I just can't figure out where to go after the First gym.
So could someone please help xD

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
Cool!
What type's the Gym?
It's an electric type gym.

Anyways, I have a bit of a problem in game, I've been backtracking for a while now, and I just can't figure out where to go after the First gym.
So could someone please help xD
Here's a hint: explore Azure City thoroughly.

Hey Frostbite, any new updates. This hack has really grasped my attention. :)
Not really... next update I'm planning on posting a video of one of the scripts in beta 2 which will be posted whenever I get the time to.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 16, 2014
Just downloaded it and about to start playing. Looks like a great hack! I'll leave my opinions after I've played (:

EDIT: Just finished playing [as far as I can in the current BETA] and I must say this is one of the best hacks I've played! Took me a while to figure out the story but I got there in the end. The ammount of wild encounters in the cave really irritated me... But so do all cave dungeons. Bravo Frostbite, can't wait for the complete hack! and after I found the journal and beat the rocket the graphics went darker and then when I walked on the grass it went from dark green to really bright green... Is that supposed to happen?

Last edited:

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
I found the journal and beat the rocket the graphics went darker and then when I walked on the grass it went from dark green to really bright green... Is that supposed to happen?
It's a problem when you use a fadescreen command in an area with the dark weather attributed to it. I'll make sure to fix it next beta by using an alternative fadescreen command.

Oh, also I'm glad that you enjoyed the game so far. :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Excellent hack. I enjoyed playing it. :D

Except, Quinn's Illumise seemed too uber to defeat, and took me forever. :(

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I just played this and I have to say this is a beautiful hack:3

I love it, overall. However, I have some general things that I didn't like but on the whole, this is one of the best hacks I've ever played. I hope you win HotY. :3

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Pretty good script.
I loled when Gary said "Peace!"

What's that supposed to mean?
It's another way of saying "goodbye". Hm, I guess it isn't used outside the United States.

Frostbite, the video was great. I can't wait to play the next beta. Speaking of betas, after watching the video, I went ahead and continued playing Beta 1 and it was amazing. The amount of backtracking was somewhat annoying but for some reason I didn't mind it as much as I usually do. I'm going to go play some more right now.

Oh and Quinn's Illumise was a real pain in the neck to bring down. Silver Wind KOed my Ralts, Shock Wave KOed my Pidgey, and Water Pulse KOed Combusken. I had to backtrack (again) to Azure Bridge and train a whole bunch and even then I just barely squeezed by. Eh, maybe that's what you were aiming for.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
It isn't used outside the time frame it was most popular in, either.
That's not entirely true. I still hear it used from time to time. Now, I personally don't use it but that's not to say that I don't know a lot of people who still use it on a regular basis.

Back on-topic:
Wow. I just beat the 2nd Gym (as a side note, I particularly liked the Scarlet Town gym. The tiles were amazing, the layout was really cool, and to top it off, Jay's sprite was awesome) and I gotta say, I haven't enjoyed playing a hack this much since Rescue Rangers. Other than a few spelling/grammatical errors, it was a flawless experience. Though I would like to point out that the player can obtain two Water Pulse TMs. One is on Forest Coast and the other is in Scarlet Forest. Other than that, it was perfect. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us next :)

Nevermind about the two Water Pulse TMs. I looked through the thread and saw that they had already been pointed out and fixed. I must still have the old beta.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
Oh and Quinn's Illumise was a real pain in the neck to bring down. Silver Wind KOed my Ralts, Shock Wave KOed my Pidgey, and Water Pulse KOed Combusken. I had to backtrack (again) to Azure Bridge and train a whole bunch and even then I just barely squeezed by. Eh, maybe that's what you were aiming for.
Haha, I intentionally made gym battles a challenge than most other games (ie. the wide variety of moves illumise has) because I feel that it'll be more fun that way. It'll only get tougher onwards... of course I don't want people breezing through the game. I want them to enjoy it fully and I believe that the difficulty satisfies that.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but to the north of Gordia Town, there's a tile error in the path, or lack of path.

And there is no lack of block error in Morphic Cave, either.

xP

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Adding to that, I don't know if this has been mentioned but when II talked with the Prof. and he wasnted to look at my Pokédex, the text appeared as "OAK: (the rest of the text)" so I think you'll need to edit that text for the next beta.

Frostbite

Ace Trainer
Years
I'm aware of these problems.
All of the above problems have been mentioned several times throughout the thread. :|

Last edited:
Back