• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Fire Mono Team

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
I made a Fire monotype team back ago on Showdown server and it seemed great. It won a lot of battles but I still want to know that can I improve it even more.

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- SolarBeam

The main role of Ninetales is to start Drought and kill as many as pokemons of the opponent's team as possible. I mostly use Hypnosis first and then Nasty Plot 1 or 2 times and use Fire Blast and Solar Beam before it dies with Life Orb and/or opponent's pokemon. It is quite speedy and mostly goes first unless the opponent is Scarfed.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- ThunderPunch
- Stone Edge

Very great pokemon. It is the main physical sweeper of my team and is very fast. Close Combat and Flare Blitz pretty much kills everything. Thunder Punch is mainly used for Water types and Stone Edge for Flyers.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

It is the speediest pokemon of my team. It is scarfed so it gets a lot of speed. It mainly attacks with Fire Blast and Shadow Ball while Energy Ball and Dark Pulse is there for coverage. It's only problem is Rock types with doesn't faints in one turn and kills Chandelure very easily.

Volcarona @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

It's the revenge killer of my team. It becomes a powerhouse after one or two Quiver Dances. Roost is there for recovering HP and I choose it over Giga Darin/Psychic because Bug Buzz and Fire Blast kills almost everything even if it is not Super Effective thanks to the Quiver Dance boost. It's main problem is Gyarados because it mostly survives a Buzz Buzz/Fire Blast and kills it with Waterfall.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

It's the weakest member of my team. It's mostly used only when there is a Special Wall and Infernape has fainted. It does quite well with Extreme Speed but it's not good overall. Flare Blitz deals good damage but I still don't like it. It was once only helpful when it was the last member of my team and the opponent's Krookodile(also the last member of his team) used Earthquake and Arcanine survived it with 5 HP and killed Krookodile with Close Combat.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

I think that it is the magical member of my team. It is not trained in Special Attack but still Fire Blast does a lot of damage. It's main job is to set up Stealth Rock, burn the opponent, make a Sub and kill as many pokemon as possible with Fire Blast. It's the defensive wall of my team and survives a lot of Physical Attacks.

Please give suggestions to improve my team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ninetales is the weather starter who's the hardest to keep alive, given its vulnerability to Stealth Rock and average stats bar Special Defense and Speed. It's better with defensive sets normally, but it can pull offensive ones somewhat well, though it needs something other than Life Orb:
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
-Sunny Day
-Roar/Hypnosis/Substitute
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Drought

or
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-SolarBeam
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Will-o-Wisp/Nasty Plot
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon

U-turn needs to go over Stone Edge on Infernape so that it has a scouting option.

Dark Pulse is redundant with Chandelure's Ghost STAB. As a rule of thumb, never use Ghost and Dark offensive moves together unless it's for utility purposes (Spiritomb does so to trap opposing Psychics/Ghosts). Hidden Power (Fighting) or Trick needs to go in its place, the former for hitting Tyranitar and Heatran hard and the latter to cripple walls.

While Petaya Berry is an interesting option on Volcarona, it's really not needed, IMO. Since you're using Roost, a bulky spread is preferred:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Roost
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 Spe

Offensive Volcarona uses:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Rock/Ground)/Giga Drain
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Or, if you feel rather gutsy, you can opt for ChestoRest. This set is meant to set up as many Quiver Dances as you can, heal off the damage/status wtih Rest, then sweep:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/236 SAtk/112 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

Darmanitan is a better alternative over Arcanine, IMO, since its Sheer Force ability, in conjunction with sun, makes Flare Blitz an insanely powerful move:
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn
-Rock Slide
-Superpower/Earthquake
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Since Heatran is using a defensive set, Lava Plume is the better option over Fire Blast because Fire Blast's low PP hurts it in the long run, plus Lava Plume has a nice chance of burning the opponent. I don't see much use of Sub in defensive sets at all. Heatran is also better with a specially defensive spread as most of its resists come from the special end and physically defensive Heatran still takes loads from Earthquake regardless:
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Protect
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Earth Power
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
Ninetales is the weather starter who's the hardest to keep alive, given its vulnerability to Stealth Rock and average stats bar Special Defense and Speed. It's better with defensive sets normally, but it can pull offensive ones somewhat well, though it needs something other than Life Orb:
-Flamethrower
-Will-o-Wisp
-Sunny Day
-Roar/Hypnosis/Substitute
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spe

or
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-SolarBeam
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Will-o-Wisp/Nasty Plot
Nature: Timid/Modest
Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon

U-turn needs to go over Stone Edge on Infernape so that it has a scouting option.

Dark Pulse is redundant with Chandelure's Ghost STAB. As a rule of thumb, never use Ghost and Dark offensive moves together unless it's for utility purposes (Spiritomb does so to trap opposing Psychics/Ghosts). Hidden Power (Fighting) or Trick needs to go in its place, the former for hitting Tyranitar and Heatran hard and the latter to cripple walls.

While Petaya Berry is an interesting option on Volcarona, it's really not needed, IMO. Since you're using Roost, a bulky spread is preferred:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Roost
EVs: 240 HP/252 Def/16 Spe

Offensive Volcarona uses:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Rock/Ground)/Giga Drain
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Or, if you feel rather gutsy, you can opt for ChestoRest. This set is meant to set up as many Quiver Dances as you can, heal off the damage/status wtih Rest, then sweep:
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/236 SAtk/112 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

Darmanitan is a better alternative over Arcanine, IMO, since its Sheer Force ability, in conjunction with sun, makes Flare Blitz an insanely powerful move:
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn
-Rock Slide
-Superpower/Earthquake
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Since Heatran is using a defensive set, Lava Plume is the better option over Fire Blast because Fire Blast's low PP hurts it in the long run, plus Lava Plume has a nice chance of burning the opponent. I don't see much use of Sub in defensive sets at all. Heatran is also better with a specially defensive spread as most of its resists come from the special end and physically defensive Heatran still takes loads from Earthquake regardless:
-Lava Plume
-Stealth Rock/Roar
-Protect
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp/Earth Power
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire

I will take these suggestions into consideration and just asking why should I have Sunny Day on Ninetales when I have Drought?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
People generally like to put Sunny Day on Ninetales to use on prediction of a opposing weather-starter switch. For instance, say you send in Ninetales against a Ferrothorn, while the opponent has a Drizzle Politoad. You can predict the switch to that Politoad and use Sunny Day, so that even though the Politoad switches in to Drizzle, Sunny Day can negate that, and change it back to a Sunny weather.

Or if you want, you can try other Status moves like Toxic or Will-o-Wisp, as a way to sort of pivor against Politoad, Tyranitar, or other counter pokemon.

Back