• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Well, decided to continue working on my blog software again. Added password hashing and avatar support, so it's a step forward.

Spoiler:

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Add me to the list. I'm Danny and I'm pretty good at Java and C#. FBI is top bae.

I am interested in learning and am currently studying coding. Java and Javascript are separate things, correct?

I am also aware of Python and PHP, and the website script HTML. I hope this thread can help in furthering my education.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm currently busy porting stuff from Delphi 7 over to Delphi 10.2. Sometimes you really have to ask yourself what they were thinking when they decided to introduce some of those "features".
I am interested in learning and am currently studying coding. Java and Javascript are separate things, correct?
They are completely different. JavaScript is a Scripting Language used primarily for web development whereas Java is more of a general purpose language, aimed for software projects, that claims to be crossplatform.

Years
I'm invoking the "if I have to look at it everybody else has to look at it" rule:

Code:
while ( (name[c++] = ch = fgetc(load)) != '~');

That's right, no body, all the instructions are in the condition statement.

As part of an assignment we have to refactor (in groups of 6 - 7) a piece of open-source software that works but is badly written/designed (picked out and assigned to us by the prof/TAs). I'm 97 lines into my 230 line section of code and this is the most baffling thing I've seen so far though somehow not by much. (other gems include breaks everywhere, variables with names that tell you nothing and are declared randomly as needed except for where they were declared as global variables in god knows which file, hard-coded values that should have been defined as constants so I'm not spending 10 minutes wondering why a counter variable has inexplicably been started at 8, an 'else' statement that was 40 lines long and badly indented, and exactly zero comments)

In my 28 years I have never had even the slightest desire to drink but I'm pretty sure this code is going to change that.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm invoking the "if I have to look at it everybody else has to look at it" rule:

Code:
while ( (name[c++] = ch = fgetc(load)) != '~');

That's right, no body, all the instructions are in the condition statement.

As part of an assignment we have to refactor (in groups of 6 - 7) a piece of open-source software that works but is badly written/designed (picked out and assigned to us by the prof/TAs). I'm 97 lines into my 230 line section of code and this is the most baffling thing I've seen so far though somehow not by much. (other gems include breaks everywhere, variables with names that tell you nothing and are declared randomly as needed except for where they were declared as global variables in god knows which file, hard-coded values that should have been defined as constants so I'm not spending 10 minutes wondering why a counter variable has inexplicably been started at 8, an 'else' statement that was 40 lines long and badly indented, and exactly zero comments)

In my 28 years I have never had even the slightest desire to drink but I'm pretty sure this code is going to change that.
Oh dear. I guess it's a different way to teach you to embrace good coding habits...?

Years
Oh dear. I guess it's a different way to teach you to embrace good coding habits...?

Among other things lol. It's also to start teaching us how to work in larger groups, and how to, well, deal with and refactor bad code written by someone else (since in the workplace unless you're independent or working for a startup, you're not usually writing code from scratch). The program I'm in (software engineering) is more focused on "soft skills" and workplace preparation (teamwork, design/documentation, writing readable/maintainable code) vs the pure computer science degree which is more focused on technical skills (math/logic, machine language, hardware).

Years
I'm learning through Java in one of my university classes now! Pretty interesting language, but too bad it's pretty much dead.

Years
I'm learning through Java in one of my university classes now! Pretty interesting language, but too bad it's pretty much dead.

I am as well, though it's actually just a general class on object-oriented programming that happens to use Java as the example language. It's taking me a while to wrap my head around it (after doing almost everything in C up to this point my brain really really wants to find somewhere to declare function prototypes, and it just feels wrong to be able to do stuff like remove something from an array without having to go and manually shift everything to fill in the empty space) but I'm really liking it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Java is 100% far from dead. :)
Personally speaking, I feel the only thing really keeping Java alive is Android. Java support in browsers is basically nonexistent now, and most applications don't really make use of it, they'd rather just target either exclusively Windows or OSX and use native libraries, unless they can do cross-platform without sacrificing quality or control. While I did learn it in school, it's really not the first language I'd go for, I'm hearing C# is one language that a lot of employers are looking for besides Python, C++, or Javascript, and as I once read, "C# is Java done right", and I'm inclined to agree having used both. Doing things in Java is a huge pain sometimes, but C# is just a memory-managed version of C++ with lots and lots of padding, compared to the likes of Java and the really absurd way some things are done, especially when it comes to syntax.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Personally speaking, I feel the only thing really keeping Java alive is Android. Java support in browsers is basically nonexistent now, and most applications don't really make use of it, they'd rather just target either exclusively Windows or OSX and use native libraries, unless they can do cross-platform without sacrificing quality or control. While I did learn it in school, it's really not the first language I'd go for, I'm hearing C# is one language that a lot of employers are looking for besides Python, C++, or Javascript, and as I once read, "C# is Java done right", and I'm inclined to agree having used both. Doing things in Java is a huge pain sometimes, but C# is just a memory-managed version of C++ with lots and lots of padding, compared to the likes of Java and the really absurd way some things are done, especially when it comes to syntax.

You're only focusing on consumer apps, though. There are entire sectors of software engineering that don't live on your phone that have had monumental reliance on Java for many years and will continue to do so—from server-side search technologies to entire financial backends.

Like it or not, Java's very, very far from dead. :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm currently dealing with DPI scaling. Interestingly enough, you can tell that that isn't the topmost priority of the Delphi creators considering how buggy that stuff still is in their implementation. So I end up having to do most of the work myself. Technically it's not even all too hard, however especially font sizes really mess things up...

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
They are completely different. JavaScript is a Scripting Language used primarily for web development whereas Java is more of a general purpose language, aimed for software projects, that claims to be crossplatform.

Is the developer important when considering the two?
They both apparently fell under the Netscape, Inc. banner at one point in all of their history. "Java" being in "JavaScript" has to mean something, after all.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
Years
Is the developer important when considering the two?
They both apparently fell under the Netscape, Inc. banner at one point in all of their history. "Java" being in "JavaScript" has to mean something, after all.

I'd argue it doesn't matter moreso what they do. JavaScript has diverged enough it's sort of its own entity that is heavily in use and on the rise meanwhile Java as has been stated before is mostly falling out of use (sometimes even for JavaScript because of web apps).

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I'd argue it doesn't matter moreso what they do. As I can tell Java has more usage but less capability due to how broad it is. JavaScript has diverged enough it's sort of its own entity that is heavily in use and on the rise meanwhile Java as has been stated before is mostly falling out of use (sometimes even for JavaScript because of web apps).

JavaScript, however, is a specified tool. Increasing the division of labor. It is used mainly to animate and code in interactions between the site and the user. Also, JavaScript is non-functional outside of an HTML web page. So, I could see if the need for more specialized software were on the rise, but why would Java fall out of favor if it has so much more versatility?

Years
JavaScript, however, is a specified tool. Increasing the division of labor. It is used mainly to animate and code in interactions between the site and the user. Also, JavaScript is non-functional outside of an HTML web page. So, I could see if the need for more specialized software were on the rise, but why would Java fall out of favor if it has so much more versatility?

It's really not "falling out of favor" as far as I can tell. Look up any article on most-used languages or most-asked-for in job postings for the past year or two and Java is almost always in the top 3, and if not, it's in the top 5 (I don't think I've seen any articles where it's lower than top 5). It's dropped a place or two according to some of those articles (all depends on exactly what they're using to measure it), but it's still very much in demand (and I believe still the most popular object-oriented language, even when it's not listed as the most popular language overall)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
Also, JavaScript is non-functional outside of an HTML web page.

Java vs JavaScript arguments aside (which is frankly apples to oranges), this is entirely false. The JavaScript runtime powers many services today that aren't directly linked with rendering a web page.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
It's really not "falling out of favor" as far as I can tell.

In the mid to late 2000s there was a surge of new stories calling for the demise of Java in the years to come. The doubt over whether or not Java can compete with the more recent programming languages, particularly Python, has persisted. I don't know too much about this yet, but from what I have seen Python is getting high praise and that should be worrisome at least.

Java vs JavaScript arguments aside (which is frankly apples to oranges), this is entirely false. The JavaScript runtime powers many services today that aren't directly linked with rendering a web page.

Any actual examples? My research suggests otherwise.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020
In the mid to late 2000s there was a surge of new stories calling for the demise of Java in the years to come. The doubt over whether or not Java can compete with the more recent programming languages, particularly Python, has persisted. I don't know too much about this yet, but from what I have seen Python is getting high praise and that should be worrisome at least.

Again, it's very easy to get caught up in comparisons of two very different tools. Python lacks the type safety of a proper systems language, yet it's very effective for quick prototyping. One tool is good for one type of job, and the other for a different kind. Python and Java can perfectly coexist, and neither is the be-all-end-all of the other.

Any actual examples? My research suggests otherwise.

If you work in backend services you're likely to encounter Node at some point in your career, and you can see from the wiki link that several large tech companies use it. And from my experience it's also one of the main go-tos for small companies to quickly set up their own online service–once again, not directly linked with rendering a web page (nor running in a browser for that matter!) but rather powering backend services serving APIs instead of UI. :)

Back