• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Java GS Revival

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Years
Hey there, game developers and Pokemon fans alike. You may remember me from a while back, I was developing an open source Pokemon game engine in Java. Back then I was a fairly new programmer, and I didn't really know what I was doing. I'm completely overthrown all of my old work and came up with this.

Spoiler:

As such, I have the entire Johto region already mapped out. I wrote a map editing program so that I could nearly streamline the process. Way back when, I used to type out the map values by hand, which was a terrible and inefficient way to do that. The same program will also allow editing of 8x8 tiles and of in-game sprites.

There's also a very, very early battle system in place. However, I only have five Pokemon coded into the game as of now, and along with that only twelve attacks. The battle system and data structures are identical to those found in the fourth generation games. Natures and Abilities will also be included. All damage and stat calculations are 100% accurate, and the super effective type match-up chart has already been included.

Now you might ask "what is the point of this game?" Well, truth be told, this isn't really a game. It's an open source Pokemon game engine that emulates the 2nd generation games almost exactly. The primary goal is to give development communities an easy-to-use engine written in an easy-to-learn language so that anyone can edit any aspect of the game with little to no effort. The advantage that this holds over ROM hacking is the limitless possibilities that go along with writing a computer game. ROMs are limited in many aspects, and as such, a hacker may not be able to include every bit of intricate detail that they wanted to.

Want to be a sprite artist?
Spoiler:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, otherwise I'll just continue posting new information in this thread. Or visit my youtube channel.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Nice project. I have found before the 649 and some pokémon forms in green-like graphics over the web if this can help you.
This engine can be easily adapted to work on mobile?

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Years
Nice project. I have found before the 649 and some pokémon forms in green-like graphics over the web if this can help you.

I know exactly the sprites you're talking about. They were developed by the /vp/ community on 4chan, and some of the sprites were actually drawn by me. They wont help unfortunately because it's not the style I'm looking for. They were made to look bad on purpose, whereas GSC styled sprites actually resemble the monsters they're supposed to.

And I don't see why not, it's written in Java, and that's the language all Android applications use.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years

I've seen that sheet too. They're atrocious, but it's a good placeholder.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
In future do not post games in the main Game Development section. This thread was required to have been posted in the Beginner's Showcase. And so, I moved it! Just letting you know.

Moved

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Hey man I don't have the time to crack out a bunch of sprites for few days, but I was able to get this thing done in a few hours last night as a quick sample of what I can do and to mention that I'm very interested in this project:

akEqw.png

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Years
Hey man I don't have the time to crack out a bunch of sprites for few days, but I was able to get this thing done in a few hours last night as a quick sample of what I can do and to mention that I'm very interested in this project:

<image>

Not bad, but you don't have a back sprite. I'm going to be very particular when accepting contributions, just a fair warning. I will be willing to take any help you can give me, but if you want me to include your work, you'll need a back sprite!

Anyway, this is essentially just a devamped Breloom from RSE that I did. This is kind of what I'm looking for.

breloom.png

shroomish.png

And for good measure here's a Shroomish.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
I made these a while back for my game, R/S sprites devamped.
do note; I wasn't strict about the images, so a few of them will be too big for gs sprites and a few of them have a third colour.
plus; theress no backsprites.

preview of the images
Spoiler:

not sure if thats helpful, but could ease the amount of work.

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
FINALLY A JAVA ENGINE!!!!

EDIT:
I can see why you want spriters (sorry I'm no good at these things, but can't you just use Poke-Essentials graphics?)

EDIT2:
I've heard Java has a built in Sockets thing (making it possible to send data to others....), maybe you can add MySQL Support/online scripts too, I also suggest you move to 3rd gen style at the very least, I prefer 4th/5th/Custom styles.

EDIT3:
First, I should stop posting before I know everything, and Wow you already added multiplayer right? (looking at your youtube channel) And this supports custom graphics from files right? I can script a-little in java, if you give me small samples of scripts you need I'll try making em, I can't say I can script "like a pro" but I do have a basis of it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Changing the style would clash with the intention of recreating the 2nd Generation engine, and probably require extensive re-working to fit larger graphics in a different screen size.

You should be familiar enough with the concept of 'open-source' to know that with full access to the engine there's nothing to stop you from loading other graphics, although without recoding a lot of the engine you would be restricted to the G/S tile size and colour limit (Assuming the engine scales the size of the graphics in real-time)

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Changing the style would clash with the intention of recreating the 2nd Generation engine, and probably require extensive re-working to fit larger graphics in a different screen size.

You should be familiar enough with the concept of 'open-source' to know that with full access to the engine there's nothing to stop you from loading other graphics, although without recoding a lot of the engine you would be restricted to the G/S tile size and colour limit (Assuming the engine scales the size of the graphics in real-time)

1. True

2. I ment the "usabillity" of doing so as in is it a copy-paste or harder concept.

Back