• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I'm new to playing Rom Hacks and I was wondering if for example I start someone's Beta 1 and they release a new patch or Beta 2 ect, is there a way to apply the updated Beta or bug patch and still keep my progress from the previous Beta? Like patching it to the same hacked rom. Or would it be a start all over thing?

I would say you would start all over again as it is much safer. Since if you patch the new patch to an Old Rom it might be buggy and freeze or crash at random times. So I believe you just have to start all over again. :/

But it is worth it if you're playing an awesome hack.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 1, 2019
I would say you would start all over again as it is much safer. Since if you patch the new patch to an Old Rom it might be buggy and freeze or crash at random times. So I believe you just have to start all over again. :/

But it is worth it if you're playing an awesome hack.

Ahh, that's a bummer, but agreeable. It would be worth it for an awesome one. Thanks! :)

MayanMan2012

Pokemon Dawn/Dusk: Coming Soon
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2014
Hey guys, just wondering: Is there a way to temporarily change the hero's overworld in fire red? I feel like someone's probably already asked this question, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Thanks!
~MayanMan

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Hey guys, just wondering: Is there a way to temporarily change the hero's overworld in fire red? I feel like someone's probably already asked this question, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Thanks!
~MayanMan

There is :3

Use Jpans FireRed Hack Engine and I'm pretty sure you can do it. You can download it here along with the manual on how to use it. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194241

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Ahh, that's a bummer, but agreeable. It would be worth it for an awesome one. Thanks! :)

In many games, you could patch a clean rom and then transfer the save file to the new game by changing it's filename.

Please note that this can't be done on certain games because sometimes people change how the game saves in order to make more room in the RAM (like JPAN and Jambo did) or it just won't work because some events were switched around and/or edited.

Years
  • Seen Dec 17, 2016
In FireRed, is there a byte that corresponds to the ability that an enemy trainer's Pokemon possesses?

karatekid552

Years
In FireRed, is there a byte that corresponds to the ability that an enemy trainer's Pokemon possesses?

If I am correct, ability is calculated based upon the PID of the opponents Pokemon. Since there are only 2 possible choices, why waste a byte when a simple calculation would tell the game which of the two to chose from? I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that is how it works. Messing with PIDs is not fun if you don't know what you are doing and can often result in bad eggs.

Edit: actually, I may be wrong. It is initially calculated by the PID, but then it does appear to get stored.

In this article of Bulbapedia, it says that the ability is calculated and stored: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_value

But neither of these artices show anything about where the ability is stored:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_data_structure_in_Generation_III
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_data_substructures_in_the_GBA

Which, of course, leaves me very confused.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I have a question that has been answered already, BUT...

This one is more specific since it involves a different script from a similar one I saw earlier in this thread. This question is also in 2 parts.

1. How would I go about making a Pokemon (in this case, a Celebi) disappear once I've caught it? If I run away or beat it, it goes away, but not if I catch it. This is the script I'm working with:

Spoiler:

Everything else works fine except for what I mentioned above, AND...

2. For some reason, after I put that script above, the game freezes when I enter the route Celebi's location is in (in this case, Route 2). It also freezes after catching Celebi and going back down to Viridian City. I've managed to fix it by entering and exiting a door, but I'd like to know if there's a permanent fix regardless of any door-opening or not, in case my future players don't enter and exit a house before passing the Teachy TV Man.

I would greatly appreciate any help. This is driving me insane.

Last edited:

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Yep, that's me
Years
This is my first ever post in anywhere in the emulation forum (I have just started playing games using emulators) so please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong place. :nervous:

Whats a good hack tool to hack ROMS to mess around with evolutions. I want a Mudkip to evolve into a MewTwo.

And where's the place to post for help with this?

Thanks!

karatekid552

Years
I have a question that has been answered already, BUT...

This one is more specific since it involves a different script from a similar one I saw earlier in this thread. This question is also in 2 parts.

1. How would I go about making a Pokemon (in this case, a Celebi) disappear once I've caught it? If I run away or beat it, it goes away, but not if I catch it. This is the script I'm working with:

Spoiler:

Everything else works fine except for what I mentioned above, AND...

2. For some reason, after I put that script above, the game freezes when I enter the route Celebi's location is in (in this case, Route 2). It also freezes after catching Celebi and going back down to Viridian City. I've managed to fix it by entering and exiting a door, but I'd like to know if there's a permanent fix regardless of any door-opening or not, in case my future players don't enter and exit a house before passing the Teachy TV Man.

I would greatly appreciate any help. This is driving me insane.

1) I have said this at least 100 times: special 0xB4 gives 0x7 as the result for catching, not 0x5. I don't understand why people keep using 0x5, it doesn't work. JPAN's list of specials doesn't include it as a result and my many experiments with the command have not resulted in any idea why people use it since 0x1, 0x4, and 0x7 are all you need. (Not to sound rude, but I know I have answered this same question on this thread before. See Spherical Ice's post above.)

2) I don't know why, however I do notice that there is no check or setvar for preventing the script from running again. Could this be a problem?

This is my first ever post in anywhere in the emulation forum (I have just started playing games using emulators) so please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong place. :nervous:

Whats a good hack tool to hack ROMS to mess around with evolutions. I want a Mudkip to evolve into a MewTwo.

And where's the place to post for help with this?

Thanks!

This is the Rom Hacking Simple Questions thread, and this is the right place, though, I'm pretty sure you didn't need to ask this, since it has been asked before (search feature is great. especially since there are over 24000 posts here and another completely archived Simple Questions thread from longer ago.)

There are many tools. YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) and P.E. [which is inside PGE (Pokemon Game Editor)] will work the best.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Thanks a lot, Karatekid. I had no idea about the 0x7 thing. The script I was using was basically the in-game Moltres script with new pointers, etc.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the setvar thing. In regards to that...

...huh?

I barely have an idea of what I'm doing and am therefore not that good yet.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Thanks a lot, Karatekid. I had no idea about the 0x7 thing. The script I was using was basically the in-game Moltres script with new pointers, etc.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the setvar thing. In regards to that...

...huh?

I barely have an idea of what I'm doing and am therefore not that good yet.

Ahhh, that explains it. Game Freak screwed up and didn't use their own special right! Lol

You obviously don't want this script running every time you step on it, right? If you noticed, when you insert a new map script using the 02 or 04 settings, it asks for a flag and a value. This is actually a var and value. You see, vars are these special things that can hold numbers between 0 and 65000 (0xFFFF). They are like the "X" in math. When you insert a var into that space, the script will only run if "var = value". So, at the end of the script, you use the command "setvar" to change the var to something else so the script won't run again.

Here are some posts by DavidJCobb which list the in game uses for most vars (and flags, which makes these posts extremely valuable). There are some free ones that aren't used by the game. The only truly safe vars are those between 0x4000 and 0x40FF.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6829256&postcount=158
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6902344&postcount=183

-----------------------------------------------
I feel like I have typed this particular answer more than most. To anyone on here: would a tutorial detailing the usage of flags, vars, and script tiles be of an advantage?

Years
Stare at this dot for thirty seconds, then close your eyes for thirty more seconds.

•​

Quickly, take a look at the title of this very thread! Your answer should be there. Only 40% of people can see this! Share if you saw it!

Ah, yes. This was great advice, except that I couldn't find something that worked for me. This tutorial was the closest thing that I found, which details how to insert trainers, including changing their palettes. But when I get to the part about APE, checking the 'Compressed Palette (L277)' box and hitting the back and forward arrows, it doesn't work. It takes me away from the offset I was using and doesn't bring me back.

Is there a tutorial out there specifically for changing the World Map palette? I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to find, or I'm missing something ridiculously obvious, since so many people succeed at editing it...the tutorial I was originally using literally says "Sooo... I didn't tell you how to change the palette, I think you can this."

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Is there a way to make something like an item deposit script? Similar to a bank script but this one works on items and lets you choose what items you want to deposit.

karatekid552

Years
Is there a way to make something like an item deposit script? Similar to a bank script but this one works on items and lets you choose what items you want to deposit.

There is always a way. If you are talking about PC deposit, there is a command to put specific items in your PC. Granted this won't work as well. Your absolute best choice: look at the PC script used in Poke-Centers and extract the Players PC portion and make a new script from that.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to look through 987 pages for this. :)

I am trying to learn how to look at scripts in an existing ROM (there are scripting errors all over the place), and was told about XSE. Where can this resource be found in its most updated form? I did find this tutorial thread, but there's no download link there.

Sorry, I'm still not adept at all the resources. I have AdvanceMap and that's it. :)

Cyclone

karatekid552

Years
Sorry, I don't have the time or patience to look through 987 pages for this. :)

I am trying to learn how to look at scripts in an existing ROM (there are scripting errors all over the place), and was told about XSE. Where can this resource be found in its most updated form? I did find this tutorial thread, but there's no download link there.

Sorry, I'm still not adept at all the resources. I have AdvanceMap and that's it. :)

Cyclone

Go to Gamer2020's toolbox. There you shall find the newest version.

Also, there is a search feature on this thread, so you don't have to look through every page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back