• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon X and Y is Ash's Last Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
I have recently come to believe that pokemon X and Y will be ash's last adventure. Why you might ask? Well its all really simple, Everyone knows that its gotten a little ridiculous that the the writers have continued to use Ash as the main character and keep him as 10 even though the show has been around for 14 years and he is obviously not 10 any more. Ash has been on his journey for a long time and never made any real progress to becoming a pokemon master, and the show loses more popularity with each year.
Introducing a new trainer instead of ash might lead more people to start watching the show again just to see what would happen, and this would also lead to more sales of the game. What is the difference with X and Y, you may ask? X and Y is being produced by the team that created Pokemon Origins which many fans will tell you is a much better interpretation of the pokemon world. Pokemon Origins also features Red the main character of the first game and manga, and the character Ash is based of off. He beats the elite four, team rocket, and becomes league champion. It is very likely that this team may want to create a new show in which there is a new trainer for each region similar to the game, and manga. But they could not just start off with a new trainer for X and Y, because they want to give an appropriate ending to Ash. That is why it is likely Ash will become a pokemon master at the end of this journey and settle down or at least continue his journey away from the show.
What evidence is there of this? One word Serena. Serena is the new female character for X and Y, and it has already been revealed that she was friends with Ash as a kid, so they are the same age. This would make her an ideal "love interest" for Ash. All his previous friends have found someone and gone there separate ways from the show Misty-Tracey, Brock-Professor Ivy, May-Drew, and Dawn-Kenny (I know I left Iris out but she did not seem to be given a love interest, but instead became the Opelucid City Gym Leader). Ash remains the only character that has not had a serious "love interest". Serena might be that character that Ash finally settles down with. This would be the perfect excuse to have Ash leave the series as a main character and continue of on his own journey. Or at the very least Serena would continue with Ash on his journey in the next region. What do you think about my theory?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Its not going to end. Serena is going to leave after traveling with Ash up until the championships just like the other females have done after realizing she has a different idea of what she wants to do and chases after that idea.

Ash is going to lose to another random throw in at the championship for the sole purpose of keeping the anime going.

As for losing interest, the interest in the anime is steadily growing what with new marketing strategies and their PokeTV app. The Anime has a fairly decent demand rate that they are trying to make it available everywhere they can.

Ash is still 10. They have never given any clear indication of time after the Kanto series and Ash has been more recently stated to be 10 years old still. Official word during opening of B/W can't really contest that. He is still 10 years old in X and Y until officially stated otherwise.

As for replacing him, they have tried this with Pokemon Chronicles. It did not provide enough of a positive review. If it had, D/P would have had Lucas/Dawn as the main characters instead. Since the want for Ash to lead the anime was still high they kept with Ash.

As it stands, Ash is the soul of the Anime. Replacing him effectively kills the anime.

There won't me much of any change to the anime in the future. They'll find a way to keep Ash moving and will keep creating people to travel around with him until the company decides that they don't need to do the anime anymore.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
It has been stated that the reason they make him lose, is so they can continue the series. And yes, he has made progress. He was at his best in DP, the only reason he kept losing to Paul was because Paul has been on a long journey as well. BW was a true restart. As long as the games continue, the anime will. And with XY breathing new life into the anime, it gives them a whole new reason to continue the series.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Anime is a type of advertisement for games! SO till the games will be made, the Anime will continue! And who says X and Y is Ash's last adventures! It will not end so early, and the reset goes! Ash's 5 region experianced Pikachu lost to the snivy of a Rookie, which may be a level 5 was Disastarous! Ash should have won it without even Electric attacks! And Snivy's Leaf storm should have been minimum effective with pikachu getting no damage!

Years
I agree with most of Khrysta's post, the anime is still going strong and even though there's a new writing team this time around there's a certainty loads of trends will keep going such as Ash never winning the regional league for the sake of keeping the anime going.

Remember, the anime won't end unless the games end and given how popular Pokemon is as a franchise in general it's still unlikely we won't see either the games or anime coming to an end anytime soon. Also, like what Khrysta said, if Ash were to get replaced as the hero imagine how low the ratings would end up and it would lead to the series ending. Ash is effectively the soul of the anime.

So nope, still don't see Ash leaving anytime soon, they'll still have his companions leave once the XY saga comes to an end.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Actually, I think there might, just might, be the end of the Pokemon anime as we know it, or maybe turn it into a harem or something, although the odds of it are still very low. Remember they are losing ratings even in Japan and they are beginning to realise that.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
Didn't the new guy say it might be Ash's last adventure? While someone said about 6 years ago otherwise we have a new guy in charge and really I don't see the series ending with Ash. Let us remember that when Kalos does end it will be the 20th anniversary so for all we know they may want to change things up. Maybe doing a series with the child of Ash and Serena giving us a time skip. I really think we need to wait till 2016 since I feel some big things could happen.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
anything is possible but the only way ill accept ash leaving if they do a whole 52 episode (exaggeration) tournament arc where Ash Has no Choice But to use every single pokemon he has

Years
( I didn't read your posts here because I want to stay away from spoilers, sorry :( )

I don't think this is going to be Ash's last adventure. I have a feeling tho that he's going to win or at least go to the final round in the League. And if he wins, this doesn't mean that he has to stop travelling. He can still go to other regions and participate there or he could go back to Kanto and participate in the League there.

Guest123_x1

As long as they come up with new generations of games featuring all-new regions, they'll continue the anime and send Ash to whatever region is featured in the newly-released generation of games. They'll also continue to replace Ash's traveling companions come time to travel a new region-trust me, once Ash is finished with Kalos, Serena will be gone and someone else will eventually join him. Not to mention Ash never ages-he is always 10 years old no matter how many regions he's gone through.

Years
As long as they come up with new generations of games featuring all-new regions, they'll continue the anime and send Ash to whatever region is featured in the newly-released generation of games. They'll also continue to replace Ash's traveling companions come time to travel a new region-trust me, once Ash is finished with Kalos, Serena will be gone and someone else will eventually join him. Not to mention Ash never ages-he is always 10 years old no matter how many regions he's gone through.

It's sad but probably true, I feel like the anime is going to be in this eternal loop forever now because of the demon known as marketing and the Pokemon community constantly getting new younger viewers who aren't sick of the consistency, and thus Pokemon still making money. As long as money is being pumped out of this cash cow, nothing will change, Ash will be 10 forever and keep on hopping around new regions with new companions and never make progress. Sigh.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Thing is I dont get why they cant have him win a Championship and not be satisfied with that one Championship. I dont think its a secret that winning one Championship makes you a master at anything. Perhaps just lucky for one year. I know I wouldnt be happy with just one Championship if I know I can get more.

Garison

The Grey Waves
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 28, 2017
Its not going to end. Serena is going to leave after traveling with Ash up until the championships just like the other females have done after realizing she has a different idea of what she wants to do and chases after that idea.

Ash is going to lose to another random throw in at the championship for the sole purpose of keeping the anime going.

As for losing interest, the interest in the anime is steadily growing what with new marketing strategies and their PokeTV app. The Anime has a fairly decent demand rate that they are trying to make it available everywhere they can.

Ash is still 10. They have never given any clear indication of time after the Kanto series and Ash has been more recently stated to be 10 years old still. Official word during opening of B/W can't really contest that. He is still 10 years old in X and Y until officially stated otherwise.

As for replacing him, they have tried this with Pokemon Chronicles. It did not provide enough of a positive review. If it had, D/P would have had Lucas/Dawn as the main characters instead. Since the want for Ash to lead the anime was still high they kept with Ash.

As it stands, Ash is the soul of the Anime. Replacing him effectively kills the anime.

There won't me much of any change to the anime in the future. They'll find a way to keep Ash moving and will keep creating people to travel around with him until the company decides that they don't need to do the anime anymore.

Actually, the bulbapedia said that he is 12 prior to X and Y

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Actually, the bulbapedia said that he is 12 prior to X and Y

Bulbapedia is a fan ran service some pages can be edited by anyone with an account. There was never any official announcement of Ash's Age in X and Y. He was 10 in B/W after all the travels he had. He's still 10 in X and Y until proof of aging has been mentioned.

Bulbapedia currently says Ash is 10, as of BW001. XY happens immediately after Decolore Arc.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
It's hard to think that it will be his last adventure. I don't think that will happen soon. It would be good to have him win a championship and let him participate in the champions league, but i guess it will still take some time for that. He still has a position as a frontier brain that i think he can choose whenever the creators/producers want him to after he finally finish his journey. Anyway it's still highly possible that he will lose to some trainer in the XY league, probably to some troll like Tobias that use legends, but it would be interesting if at least they made it at the final battle so that he can at least achieve second place in a league. And I think we still have to see him in some sort of quest that lets him battle agaisnt the elite four members like in the games.
Ash final adventure, only when the producers/creators run out of ideas or decide to end it.

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
I dont think they will ever get rid of Ash/Satoshi as the man character BUT I think they will start having him win more and maybe do another side quest like the Orange Islands League (Which i truly loved myself). The show wont get rid of Ash but they will make better decisions (hopefully they get rid of Jesse and James. I have grown tired of them they are just annoying now)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
WARNING, long post ahead:

I highly doubt XY saga is last series for Ash. For several reasons.

From business perspective as long new games keep coming out with anime serving as one of main tools through which new pokemon and generations are advertized there is no reason to believe how series will be concluded. Unless they experience such drastic decrease in ratings and people interest that entire point of their existence of telling story about characters, their attempts to achieve dreams in pokemon company and marketing value becomes pointless, no longer being able to adequatelly promote new products.

As far as i know ratings while shaky and nowhere near to previous days when pokemon was bigger hit (longevity, some of unpopular decisions or quality of writing may have contributed in decrese over time) are still big enough to warrant continuation.

Now some may say why not introduce new character and replace Ash?
Because of several reasons actually.
Reason number 1:

Pokemon was always intended to be treated as series which is centralized around one main star(Ash) following his journey of becoming master and lifepath of his friends , allowing generations to grow up with one representative and story taking place in same timeline and universe. Because of this pokemon series became so recognizable and iconic worldwide, achieving such popularity.

Similar how Naruto, One Piece and similar anime do following one consistent storyline and while they dont cycle through characters keeping everyone and have much stronger following, one big similarity pokemon has in common is that all of them have one character as show main face.

I suppose perhaps such approach could have see light of day if Ash was replaced after Kanto or at most Johto with anime going through complete reboot, but after being driving force for more than decade and a half he became too integrated within anime and iconic with pokemon becoming too associated with his character and viewed as one big continuity.
Doing it now is too late with people being used to this formula, so new approach would probably end up as fiasco .
Not to mention make no sense to replace successful character who didn't even reach apex of its true potential after so much time.

Other shows like Digimon, Power rangers, Yugioh etc are one of examples which shows how ditching main face and iconic representative of some anime can backfire negatively on series positive image they built around themselves. Such examples experienced big drop in people following and respect for this animated shows losing notable portion of loyal fandom not being even shadow of their former selves in popularity anymore.

Nonetheless in comparison to main stars of aforementioned anime Ash has been constant, permanent driving force of pokemon for last 16 years. If writers ever wanted to replace him and bring his joiurney to end in favor of successor continuing on, logic implies it would happen by now. But it didn't because keeping same main star treating it as continuity for long enough to leave same impact on upcoming generations, cause fans to start associate certain characters with one show viewing it as its brand which helped better to promote something worldwide.

Plenty anime have permanent main stays not going through complete revamps after every few years, and they are usually more popular than shows which constantly cycle through characters . Why? Because it brings benefit that audience has someone to who it can get attached investing into character without fearing that he will leave soon, making them interested in following his journey for long periods of time, going through new adventures and learning more about his past, motivations and aspects of his dream. Although that only applies to Ash not staying sequential with his companions.

But regardless of that Ash alone serve as pathos, ultimate driving force providing positive thing in sense of anime with long term stay characters containing mascot,main face which stand out for something. Someone with who people can associate pokemon series being able to connect with such type of character. Its good for advertizing, imbues anime with continuity bringing established storyline on which writers build up and has iconic character which represents certain series ensuring that anime will have easier time in attracting new generations of fans toward it given how there is someone which represents them.

Reason number 2:

Current status of Ash progression as characters and story hasn't met status of allowing to bring his journey to end, tie up loose ends and lead toward proper, long lasting closure. XY saga alone with way Ash is currently going forward not fulfilling requirements or giving enough time to bring this character journey even close to such objective.

He hasn't won a league yet,concept of champion league which was for first time brought in DP is highly unexplored and Ash never officially challenged E4 and champion.
From character point Ash is still quite brash and impulsive having several flaws which are standing on his way of achieving goal rushing into things without thinking,having problems in utilizing power of his pokemon to their true potential, being at times overconfident overestimating his abilities as trainer costing him matches in process etc. Which was showed to be case at times even in DP with relatively easy defeats from Palmer, Flint and Bertha showing he is still far from elite strength having room left to grow. Never mind unexplored backstory being ironic how little we know about his past.

We also cannot deny fact how its completely uncertain what other steps someone may need to accomplish after winning league or battling E4 with whole concept of pokemon master goal being for large part still undefined with little clearer picture not being given until recently in Sinnoh.

Who says Ash journey would even have to stop after winning pokemon league and battling E4? That wont make him master, nor best trainer in world with there existing other regions and leagues to explore, rivals to beat, new pokemon to catch, enter various side quests with harder and bigger challenges like BF or Orange Island championship were to learn and prove himself as trainer. Some sort of master league as final step on his road of coming close toward ultimate dream. Which would be fitting for grand finale.

We could also learn more about Ash past, family(like his parent), do more with ton of older pokemon which are rooting at Oaks lab etc. Possibilities are endless, and Ash can definitely grow forward as trainer having several flaws which need to be perfect, along with creating new obstacles.

Another very important thing is that all of Ash past friends and travel companions are left unfinished with plots which form their stories, connection they have with Ash in affecting his growth and lifepath along close bonds which connect them(or at least should)are left at pending status untied.
Like May and Dawn which never won GF or overcome rivals, obstacles standing on their way? Misty whose water pokemon master goal was left unresolved and desire to reach expertize and level of strength like E4 mermbers have as water specialist(as her idol Lorelei)not being cleared up in what direction her story will go in future and how will things with her sisters and gym play out, nor coming close toward her dreams?
Brock who is left to study to become doctor not coming closer toward it?
Cilan who didnt become S class connoisseur or Iris who wants to become master of dragons?
Etc, etc.

There is surely a whole lot of loose ends and open things to bring to conclusion before writers even plan to bring Ash journey to an end. Unless they will just cut it abruptly leaving everything unresolved and ambiguous which would not only be underwhelming but disappointing for such long running show like pokemon too deserving to have believable and meaningful conclusion bringing whole journey to certain climax.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly presence of Serena and her interest toward Ash in something which appears to be more than friendship dont play any say in how long Ash will stay. Depending on how you interpret it Misty harbored romantic feelings toward Ash as well, yet it played no difference in his staying power. (Many who support this would say she still does using certain hints from hosos like rejecting Gergio date because "there is someone else" as ammunition how this aspect of character was left uncleared too).
Ash continued to freely travel across many regions ever since Misty left with one sided thing from her not posing any obstacle or obligation that writers end Ash journey.

Same can be expected with Serena because oblivious and immature as Ash is having only battles, friendship and trying to become best on his mind, it is unlikely to expect that he will all of a sudden start returning feelings back toward girl which may develop crush on him. With love subplot not having much place in series like pokemon according to blogs from one of head writers who was in charge for OS(Takeshi Shudo, rest in peace) stating how expansion on such plot would only take away from what main message of pokemon series is. About journey, friends which explore world and support each other in working toward dreams and pokemon themselves.
Simply because of anime limits and struture under which things are written in this show lacking deep enough plot and complex development so that romance could play vector for significant character development pushing main story forward.

Very high probability of Serena getting replaced for 7th generation with another girl(sadly number of abandoned companions uncontrollably increases) doesnpt help either, with any started relationship and story in love sense not having much future in such situation.

This small passage from interview with Masamitsu Hidaka(pokemon director until Battle Frontier and from than continued working as storyboard artist) from 2008 on pokebeach is another reason why i highly doubt how Kalos(or known to some as XY series) would be Ash last saga spent in anime:

Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? He laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end. It will be the last episode.

So unless something drastically changes from writing staff taking plans for future of pokemon anime in different direction, its reasonable to expect how Ash isn't leaving nowhere, until pokemon show itself ends for good(real ending with no new adaptations happening afterwards).

p.s.In response to OP post. Im not sure how exactly Brock will settle down with prof. Ivy when ever since he left her(its heavily implied he was dumped), she was never brought up again. Let alone Brock maintaining contact with her. Relationship between Misty and Tracey is on shaky legs too given how Misty never hinted to hold anything other than good friendship toward this character. And viceversa. So i wouldn't say anyone in this show found someone to settle down , rather not existing canon relationships so far (if ever).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
o-o

What needs to have been said has pretty much already been said, but the anime will continue probably until the company dies.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Pokemon's average rating is same as Precure !
And Precure change's its main character in every season.
So , I don't think the whole Pokemon Anime is dependent on Ash & Pikachu . After all , Ash isn't same as Badass Atem (Yugioh) who's still loved & Missed.
Therefore , XY series better off as Ash's final journey because the nest series will get same or lower rating with or without Ash.

XY debut was much better then DP & BW series yet it gets lower rating then those 2 debut .
Why do think it happened ? Is there any problem with Japanese children .
Nope , Its just lack of expectation !!!
For 16 year , Pokemon just repeating the same plot over & over ! Ash goes to new region , make new friend , get 8 badge and then get his ass kicked in the League !
WHAT IS THE POINT OF WATCHING A SHOW IF YOU KNOW HOW'S IT WILL END !!
The main reason it still get audience because there still some hope that Sixth time will be the charm .
However , If that hope break then Pokemon will lose even more audience .
Does People think that children watch Doreamon because Doreamon is cute ? Believe me , Doreamon isn't cute !!!
Pikachu & Jewelpet are far cutter then Doreamon ! Kids Loves Doreamon because of its story. Plus Doreamon is Gag Anime and its treated as a gag Anime , It doesn't tries to be something else.
But It seem Pokemon trying to be like ''Dragon tales'' , ''Dore the explore'' Or ''My little Pony'' Which by the way aren't even Anime .
Some think that Pokemon is only about Adventure and exploring new Land just because Ash travels .But thats not true .
''One Piece'' travel too but ''One Piece'' isn't only about Adventure .
Pokemon is mainly ''An Adventure Shouene Kids Battle Anime'' ! That how its should be treated.
Remember , Satoshi tejji created Pokemon in order to share the fun he had ''Collecting'' Bug .
THAT POKEMON'S ORIGINAL PURPOSE ! ITS ALL ABOUT ''COLLECTING''.
Even Digimon reach Emmy award when Protagonist start to Catch & collect Digimon's.

XY series should be Ash's last journey But if its that risky to replace him then Ash should do new thing instate of going off another badge collecting saga after winning Kalo League. !
Like catch rare Gen VII Pokemon for Prof Oak Or Investigate Evil Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back