• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

droomph

weeb
Years
What do you think of the game?

I personally found it a bit short and lacking, and reading what the people say minus their usual "omg this game sucks" (because to me it doesn't) I think they think it's a bit less than usual. I mean seriously 6 bosses? I won't complain though, it's still got that feel. Maybe they'll do better next time, but I was a bit disappointed.

Hm…I would give it a 7, because it's a bit lacking, plus the shock factor where I realized that the game was halfway through in just 7 hours, because usually that would be 10.

Lightblind

For you never shut your eye ~
Years
For being the most expensive entry to the series this far yet having the least amount of content, I'm disappointed. I'm really, truly disappointed.

I'm not saying it's a bad game! It's just that from what I've seen and heard, for every step they've taken forward, they've taken a step backward. It's silly! You say the game is only 14 hours long? Well, the Red and Blue Rescue Team games took nearly 200 hours for me to complete. In my opinion, the Explorers trilogy made up for its shorter length in quality; through an amazing story, a vast selection of playable Pokémon, and a wealth of improvements over its predecessors. Gates to Infinity just... doesn't live up to that. =(

Not to mention the gender selection and downloadable content nonsense. That's really gotten on my nerves. Losing gender equality is ridiculous and where they've gone so far with DLC just feels like a cheap cash-grab. Think of all the things they could do with the system! Character packs, quests, stories, ETC!

I don't mean to sound harsh. Part of me can't wait to jump in and finish the game! And again, I'm not saying that it is a bad game. I just can't see it living up to the series name.

I sincerely hope they step up their game for any possible sequel. They're heading in the right direction! I believe they can do it! This just isn't it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I've beaten all the PMD games in roughly 16 hours so I don't find this one to be short in any way. About half way thorough PMD:GtI. I had to stop progressing with the main game cause I sped through and ended up underleveled so I'm forced to train under Companion mode.

Wish I had someone local to try the co-op missions with.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2014
I was expecting this to be the best in the series, but it might be the worst, IMO. Still a good game, but what's really bugging me is how they're dragging out the playtime with reduculously long, dull and redundant dialogue (without a reasonable text speed) really makes this feel boring. I just feel like the story in the previous games was much better and you didn't spend hours watching characters talk about nothing. Seriously, a 3D remake of an earlier PMD would have been just fine for me.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I loved it! Too bad it only took me about 15 jours :/.I loved the story and the dungeons were exciting and all. It was just extremely short. Even after the credits rolled I expected there to be some post game quests. There was one. The story was short to begin with, then the post game was lacking. I loved the 15 hours of gameplay I got, I just wish I could have gotten more :/

Oh and there were around only 150 different pokemon included in the game. And the bulk of those were gen 5. I wish there would have been more pokemon, especially from previous gens.

EDIT: Maybe there will be more postgame adventures available for DLC! I hope so at least.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I've only got through the first adventure, and I have to say it's only ok. That's extremely disappointing, considering that the 1st and 2nd PMDs had me hooked immediately, and especially the 2nd kept me going. The 2nd was amazing and they should have only ADDED to its features, instead of messing with them.

I'll admit that I had to force myself to continue playing in the beginning. There were a lot of things that turned me off of the game that were not problems in the first games. The text speed is PAINFULLY slow and they explain the same things over and over. Am I 3 years old? (spoiler: did they really have to talk to like, 3 people and have a flashback in order to figure out Scraggy stole their gems? Could it have been any more obvious...) The job selecting process is reallllyyy slow and it's kinda sad that we can only go on 1 job per time and all the rewards are materials, but oh well, I'm kinda used to it by now. I'm also really disappointed (I know I know last thing) by the lack of starters. We've already chose Pikachu a thousand times and played through 2 sets of games with the Unova trio, so it wasn't so amazing that we got to play with them again. Also, in the Japanese version, there's a male/female option but they're all males in this game which is also kinda sad because it's the only one that uses obvious pronouns all the time. Oh well.

OH OH ALSO ALSO can I only be rescued if I know someone who's close to me? I literally have no idea how Streetpass works and they never explain it, but there's no option for password and imo that was HUGE step back.

The outside dungeon feature is kinda cool, and the 3D is actually ok. I actually really like the move level up feature and I definitely don't miss hunger. The Paradise is kinda cool too.

so tl;dr i was pretty disappointed by the game, they took like a million steps backwards. They added some new features but they did most if it poorly.

Last edited:

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
I actually quite liked the game.

It has its flaws, yes, but you all pretty much covered them. But the things they added were pretty cool too. Things like how you get to build paradise, building many different types of shops and vendors, upgrade them, recolor them, clearing land into different styles, and how almost everything is upgradeable... Things like the multi-tiered leveling that allows you to level up Pokemon, Moves, and Paradise by completing missions... Things like the dungeon additions like the special tiles and detours.

It also looked beautiful, and the music was fantastic.

I currently have 30 hours logged so far, and while the Post-game plot was much shorter than previous games, there is also much more to do after the town stops changing. In Explorers of Sky, after you completed all of the post-game story, you only had random missions, a minigame, and the stuff at Spinda Cafe (Draw and juice bar.). In Gates to Infinity, you have all that plus a bunch more minigames, and the ability to work on Paradise, which makes random missions seem more engaging when you have some goal in mind...

I do miss mechanics like hunger though... Without it there isn't much to keep pace for going through dungeons, you don't really need to rush through anything. Also, while I enjoyed the storyline, I found the story less engaging than the one in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2. The ending was...
Spoiler:

As for the characters, some of the personalities made me actually come to appreciate Pokemon I usually never cared much for. (Like Gurdurr) My favorite character would have to be Emolga, a Pokemon I had already liked though.

Last edited:

Pokémonlegend222

Latias4Ever!
Years
When I heard about PMD going 3D, I was excited as hell, seeing my favourite Pokémon in 3D, and going through the usual epic storyline on my lonely 3DS, but then it all came tumbling down:

- Only about 200 Pokémon, after the other PMDs had every single Pokémon in the generations they were in... Why is this like that? The 3DS is CLEARLY able to hold the data for over 600 Pokémon, so why didn't they include all those in this game? One of my biggest wishes for this game was using Latias and Latios in 3D and seeing their portraits!

- The mechanics are broken as hell, making the game go down dramatically in difficulty, I mean, team attack? Monster houses: no longer a challenge. Move levels? I'd rather have just linked moves, at least with them you had to be careful not to waste the PPs of a low PP move.

- The storyline... It's just horrible, the final boss is the most disappointing thing I've ever seen in PMD, a snowflake that's invincible until you get some cheesy as hell cutscenes and then just kill it in one shot? I'm sorry, but I want my Rayquaza or Primal Dialga back.

- No post-game, just... What? What is this, Black/White as a spin-off? Were they that lazy that they couldn't make an interesting post-game storyline like they did with PMD 1 and 2? Then again, with the cheesy and horrible storyline this game already had, it was to be expected that it'd have a terrible post-game or none at all.

I'm so disappointed in Pokémon games lately... I mean... I know Pokémon's mainly for kids, but this make me think, are kids nowadays so stupid that they have to lower the damn difficulty in previously epic games!? This is just about PMD3D, but so far, I've been disappointed with 3 Pokémon games OF THIS GENERATION ALONE! Conquest, PokéPark Wii 2, and now this! ...Then again, this and last years are absolutely terrible for games and companies overall...

To conclude this, no, I didn't play this, why would I? I don't want to spend my money on a game that won't be to my liking, and if I do, let's all remember, shops nowadays don't accept refunds on games just because you didn't like them! Besides, playing a game doesn't give you the absolutely irrefutable opinion about it, knowing the facts about it and watching numerous videos of it is more than enough to know that a game is or not worth your money, and this one definitely isn't.

droomph

weeb
Years
Because it may surprise you. You might like it if you give it a chance.

I've seen opinions all over the spectrum in terms of the story. (A lot say it's better.)

And with the whole DLC thing, they might be able to add on to the stories, unlike previous games.

So maybe that's why they made it shorter. Because they're working on more!

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I though it to be well worth the money. It has a mystery dungeon quality story and mystery dungeon quality music. I thought it to be one of the best entries in the series. Those who are complaining about it seem to be doing so because of some reviews. When one popular reviewer doesn't like it, the others follow to try to gain more credibility, but fail miserably in doing so. If you are considering this game, buy it. I even thought it to be better than Fire Emblem Awakening.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I will probably wait out buying Gates To Infinity due to the game's lack of content, plus the overall quality of the game from what I've seen is rather mediocre.

Seriously, they left out choosing the gender for your protagonists? Little bit sexist.

Also, the final boss looks like a absolute insult. What is with Pokemon games and non-Pokemon final bosses? >.<

But still, here's the real kicker for me, the actual story of the game itself is really too immature and juvenile for me to handle now. I liked Explorers story, as Narmy as it could get, so why take a marathon of steps back for this one.

Now, once again, I haven't played this game, but I am defiantly waiting until it drops to about £15 until I even consider it.

Last edited:

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I say they lack some post-story content and additional features. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I still play it, but it would be a little more...lively if you are given alot more things to do. After the main storyline, only a short post-story, then they give you 3 (possibly) difficult dungeons and that's it. Of course, you can fight 5 legends through the challenge boards, but the battles seem too OP on the opponent's side since you are only allowed one member at a time. Also special and unique items are a lack. Previous versions gave you, Golden Masks, etc. However, at least they gave us many "detours" to try and unlock.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 1, 2015
The 3D aspect caught me, IT IS AWESOME! One problem, the story line is soooo short and you don't even get to find all Unova Pokemon able to be recruited, let alone all pokemon!

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Of course, you can fight 5 legends through the challenge boards, but the battles seem too OP on the opponent's side since you are only allowed one member at a time.

You see, I found it the opposite because you can use orbs in boss battles, and a well trained move is brutal when combined with STAB. That said, I liked the challenge of the harder dungeons, it really made you use the items you get to their full extent like any roguelike should. Even though most of the story was pretty easy, there are times when the game was harder than even Roguelikes like ADOM.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Reading some of the varying opinions of this game, is this a game I should buy, wait out on or just skip all together? I own Rumble because I like button mashing, and I was looking forward to this game, but it seems very inferior to the previous entries.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
Reading some of the varying opinions of this game, is this a game I should buy, wait out on or just skip all together? I own Rumble because I like button mashing, and I was looking forward to this game, but it seems very inferior to the previous entries.

If you like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, I recommend you get it. A lot of the people who "don't like it" actually haven't even played it yet and are just raging about things they read.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Before getting it, I was not so sure, since I heard "This game is terrible" everywhere. But I got it anyways, and I think I made the right choice. Honestly, it isn't THAT bad. Since I played the first 2, I definitely find this game the weakest in the series, but it has its good points:

-Gameplay got a little bit better, with move levels, shared experience and more tidbits here and there.
-Pokémon Paradise is really fun to build and organize.
-The music is really catchy and humable.
-Dem graphics. I don't care if you can still see pixels here and there, they're great.
-Being able to control other Pokémon before finishing the main story.
-Dunsparce.
And a few others.

The only flaws I find are:

-Like most of you said, the text speed. Oh gods, the unbearable text speed.
-Story was a bit short.
-Post-game is EVEN shorter.
-Story doesn't make much sense in the beggining.
-Not all Pokémon are available.
-Only 1 mission at a time...

I actually enjoyed the story and the non-Pokémon final boss(But the Bittercold could have been thougher). As long as they don't put non-Pokémon enemies in main series games, it's fine. (PokéStar Studios doesn't count)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I got the game yesterday and I'm liking it so far. While I've seen part of Marriland's Let's Play of it, getting the game for myself was just as satisfying.

I started with Oshawott and after some serious deliberation, I went with Tepig as the partner, continuing my "tradition" of a Water/Fire partnership in Mystery Dungeon games.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 30, 2023
I downloaded the demo at first, and I thought it was beautiful. They had definitely gone up in the graphics department, as most 3DS games have, and the music was okay but not shivers-down-your-spine great as the first two games.

Once getting into the plot a little more, I found that I didn't really like it. It was boring, it was slow, and everyone was crying every two seconds. I feel like most of the game was over done in that aspect. Never have I ever seen such emotionally flip-flopped characters. One second they're bawling their eyes out, then the next they're dancing around with glee -- not just Keldeo.

Why would Virizion join the team early on? I thought that was stupid, even if she was at a low level. To the people that make PMD: don't do that again, please.

I hated the new mission system, and the giant pop up when you finish a mission. I mean seriously? I thought I was going into a great new game that would be better than the first and second, but I was disappointed beyond belief.
Spoiler:

Back