• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you nickname your starter?

Did you nickname your starter pokemon?

• Yes i gave it a sexy name! XD

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Nope all my pokemon have boring names XD

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I typically nickname all of my Pokemon (with a few exceptions, like Pokemon I'm going to trade to other people or don't care about at all). I named my starter after my trainer name, as I have done in every generation thus far.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
i nicknamed my piplup mac (macaroni penguin like empoleon) and totodile muldile (mul being korean for water and dile... well crocodile lol)

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Up until Platinum I never named my starter Pokemon. I always preferred their original name and I didn't want them to go by anything else, but I was in a mood to give my chimchar a nickname in Platinum so I named it Inferhoss, a combination of Infernape and hoss.

RenegadeClyde

....'-'.
Years
I'm pretty bad when it comes to give nicknames to pokémon 'cause I'm not that creative (only sometimes). But I NEVER catch a pokémon without nicknamin' it. (Even the ones I catch just to complete the pokédex) I feel strange when I have a pokémon with its original name (Especially in my party, I feel like I don't like my pokémon. :3 Yep, strange)

I usually use simple 'n fast names, nothing extraordinary. In my first time playing Platinum, I have nicknamed my turtwig "Leaf". '-' In my second time playing it after a year or so, I've nicknamed my turtwig "Leaf 2.0"(I can't choose any other, turtwig is so awesome. :3) I did the same thing with my starly, "Raptor 2.0". '-'

In GSC/HGSS, I've chosen Cyndaquil. In HGSS, It was a female, so I nicknamed it "Cinnamon" XD In GSC, It was a male, so I named him "Xplotaro", a reference to Gold's Cyndaquil/Typhlosion.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
I always try to nickname my Pokemon. I love coming up with names.
Named my Chimchar Aaron (Part of some kind of inside joke I honestly don't remember.), my Tirtwig Biosuar, and named my Totodile WetTowel for some reason.

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
Named everything Turtwig, including my Piplup, during a FAILED HORRIBLY Nuzlocke run of Platinum.

EvilTotodile

We're Evil
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2021
I use nicknames if i can think of a good one. i wouldnt use a bad one for the sake of using a nickname

my first ever pokemon was Fireball the Infernape

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I never really nickname my starter in Pokemon game cause I prefer keeping it's original name. This was with the exception of my Turtwig in my current Diamond run. It's name is Twigleaf, haha. But other that case and changing the capital letters to lower case, I haven't nicknamed my starter.

ISNorden

Teddiursa
Years
All my Pokémon get nicknames, if only to tell two members of the same species and gender apart. :-) My current team in Pearl, for instance:

1. Sheldon, a 20th level Grotle who evolved from my starter Turtwig
  2. Spark, a 12th level Shinx captured outside Oreburgh City
  3. Crusher, a 10th level Geodude found on the Ravaged Path
  4. Kiai Dude,an 8th level Machop captured on the road outside Oreburgh
  5. Rosalind, a 7th level Budew spotted in the grass of Floaroma Meadow
  6. Allegretto, a 6th level Starly also found in the meadow

Most of my starter-nicknames are predictable, as you can see from Sheldon's example above...I've named a Torchic "Hot Wings" and a Chikorita "Old Green" in earlier generations. :embarrass But nicknames for my later finds are more inspired--sometimes by the moves they used on me, sometimes by the moves I hoped to teach. (Allegretto, my Starly, was ford of Quick Attack; Crusher's move list consists of Defense Curl and three offensive Rock-type TMs.)

Twiddle

Stepping on the cracks
Years
Yep. Actually, I nickname all of my Pokémon, and the starters are no exception. In my Pokémon Blaze Black 2, my Serperior is called Retrag because Garter backwards.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen yesterday
I think I nicknamed my Piplup 'Pingu' once. I'm not a huge fan of nicknaming Pokemon - and it was annoying that I couldn't cancel it!

Back