• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

Telemetius

Tele*
Years
My friend was helping me test the game I'm creating and we ran into an issue where a wild Plusle used Copycat, but my friend's Pokémon got paralysed the turn it used it and got stuck in an infinite loop of Copycats without stopping. Is this a known error? I checked the wikia for bugs but it didn't mention it.

Also, Happiny used Copycat and copied its own Sweet Kiss and then confused itself as his Pokémon was already confused.

I think that is an old bug. Are you using the latest update? vrs. 16.2?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 19, 2023
My friend was helping me test the game I'm creating and we ran into an issue where a wild Plusle used Copycat, but my friend's Pokémon got paralysed the turn it used it and got stuck in an infinite loop of Copycats without stopping. Is this a known error? I checked the wikia for bugs but it didn't mention it.

Also, Happiny used Copycat and copied its own Sweet Kiss and then confused itself as his Pokémon was already confused.

I had the same loop issue with Copycat in 15.1. I believe it can be solved if you copy the Copycat-related scripts from a V16.2 version (or if you upgrade, I guess).

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
The Neutral Terrain Tag doesn't seem to work in Essentials v16.2.
I changed part of Cedolan City to look like this:
c2523cf62c.png

And I changed the Bridge's terrain Tag from 0 to 13. However, in game, it looks like this:

Edit: The pics are gone.. But in short, placing a path on the water without stopping the water terrain tag creates issues.
94894d797d.bmp

Last edited:

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
When editing an item via the Editor, it reformats the entire items.txt file with what I presume is an older format, lacking plurals of items, rendering it to have syntax errors when processing the file.
I've just updated to v16.2 yesterday: Copying the original items.txt from v16.2 and adding the items via text editing will process it correctly.

EDIT: Another bug regarding the Editor: Saving after editing the Regional Dexes causes all Pokémon's abilities to become blank. All entries in pokemon.txt display "Abilities=".

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
There is a problem when using "Show Pictures" event with images who have alpha channels. Since there is one Spriteset_Map for each map current loaded (including connections), and the picture is draw on screen one time for each Spriteset_Map, the pictures overlaps on screen, lowering the alpha effect.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 24, 2019
pbDownloadToString not working (and a fix for this)

Just wanted you to know that I found a bug and fixed it (for me)
Quoting my Reddit post redd.it/6a55e8

(using Pokémon Essentials v16.2)
I want to compare a local string with a string loaded via pbDownloadToString.
The script is itself is not the problem. I tryed this (rewritten out of my mind, cause I'm currently not at home):
Code:
localver="V0.0.2"
newestver=pbDownloadToString("sry can't post url here...")
if newestver == ""
  Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Can't load data from server. Please try again later. \\wtnp[30]"))
else
  if newestver == localver
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("up-to-date \\wtnp[30]"))
  else
    Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("New version available \\wtnp[30]"))
  end
end
On my server (running Apache2) this will result in an error 400. Do I miss something? Later this day I will log the HTTP header on my server to figure out what's wrong.

Solution:
To fix it:
- Find the script called "Sockets"
- find line 577
Code:
request="GET #{path} HTTP/1.1\nUser-Agent: #{userAgent}\nPragma: no-cache\nHost: #{host}\nProxy-Connection: Close\n\n"
- replace with
Code:
request="GET #{path} HTTP/1.1\r\nUser-Agent: #{userAgent}\r\nPragma: no-cache\r\nHost: #{host}\r\nProxy-Connection: Close\r\n\r\n"

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
This was something I hadn't encountered before, but just recently found. Whenever Encore gets used on Metronome, the move "Metronome" gets stuck in a loop and is used infinitely, softlocking the game.

Diverscope

Pardon me
Years
If you rename the storage box and USEKEYBOARDTEXTENTRY is set to true, than the storage-icon is not animated. It can be easiliy fixed by replacing
Code:
      @sprites["subject"]=IconSprite.new(0,0,@viewport)
      @sprites["subject"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/namingStorage")
      @sprites["subject"].x=68
      @sprites["subject"].y=32
(lines 989 - 992)

with
Code:
      @sprites["subject"]=TrainerWalkingCharSprite.new(nil,@viewport)
      @sprites["subject"].altcharset="Graphics/Pictures/namingStorage"
      @sprites["subject"].animspeed=4
      charwidth=@sprites["subject"].bitmap.width
      charheight=@sprites["subject"].bitmap.height
      @sprites["subject"].x = 44*2 - charwidth/8
      @sprites["subject"].y = 26*2 - charheight/2

Also another bug: If USEKEYBOARDTEXTENTRY is set to true and you enter a name, which has a minimun length, you can enter a blank name (i.e you press ENTER without entering a name). An example of this is the Rival on Route 3.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
In unmodified essentials, although weather seems to be set as it is in gen VI, it is infinite ingame. Examples I've seen are sandstorm and sun lasting entire, 10+ turn battles.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
In unmodified essentials, although weather seems to be set as it is in gen VI, it is infinite ingame. Examples I've seen are sandstorm and sun lasting entire, 10+ turn battles.
When you say "seems to be", have you tested this? Because if Essentials is using the old battle mechanics (Gen 5), as it does by default, weather induced by abilities is supposed to last forever. I've just tested weather induced by a move, and that does indeed fade after five turns as it is supposed to. It's likely you're just mistaken.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 22, 2021
Mega evolution results in error.

Intl_Messages:559:in `[]'
Intl_Messages:559:in `get'
Intl_Messages:670:in `get'
Intl_Messages:707:in `pbGetMessage'
PBItems:531:in `getName'
PokeBattle_Battle:656:in `pbGetMegaRingName'
PokeBattle_Battle:654:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:654:in `pbGetMegaRingName'
PokeBattle_Battle:1821:in `pbMegaEvolve'
PokeBattle_Battle:2832:in `pbAttackPhase'

Till now I still have this error while watching many tutorials in Youtube, Any solutions to them??
I already have 16.2V update.

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2024
Using Intimidate on a Pokemon with Contrary causes a gamecrash if it is the first turn of the battle, with the following error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NameError

Message: undefined local variable or method `upanim' for #<PokeBattle_Battler:0x7831910>

PokeBattle_BattlerEffects:726:in `pbIncreaseStatWithCause'
PokeBattle_BattlerEffects:873:in `pbReduceStatWithCause'
PokeBattle_BattlerEffects:942:in `pbReduceAttackStatIntimidate'
PokeBattle_Battler:1061:in `pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn'
PokeBattle_Battler:1059:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battler:1059:in `pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn'
PokeBattle_Battle:2189:in `pbOnActiveAll'
PokeBattle_Battle:2188:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:2188:in `pbOnActiveAll'
PokeBattle_Battle:2635:in `pbStartBattleCore'

If it is not the first turn, you get a different error, but the game continues and does not crash.

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
The INTL translation message system is very broken.

1. Any _INTL line with a # on it will be invalid, including expressions like #{something} on it. I think this is because it's interpreting everything behind the # as a comment. This occurs even if I try to escape it like this: <<#>>.
    1. For now, #{variable} expresions should be replaced as an additional parameter on INTL lines. Fortunately these expressions happen to appear only 4 or 5 times, and most of them are in the same script section.
  2. Script lines with two \n next to each other, or just separated by a single space (here\n\nare\n \nsome examples) are also invalid and won't be translated, even if replaced with <<n>>
  3. Some extracted lines are processed in an overly complicated way. The extractor escapes characters that aren't really necessary to escape, like [ and ].

Ego13

hollow_ego
Years
I noticed that the PP of a trainers Pokemon will be refilled after it was withdrawn and sent out again. It happened in the following situation:

My Pokemon: Misdreavous

Opponent Pokemon: Gyarados
Opponent moves: 1.TWISTER 2.FLAIL 3.EARTHQUAKE 4.STONE EDGE

I depleted the moves Twister and Stone Edge by using Spite. So the Gyarados wouldn't be able to hit my Misdreavous. Then the trainer withdrew Gyarados and sent out another Pokemon, which I defeated. Then he sent out Gyarados again and it could use Stone Edge and Twister again. I'm 100% sure that all PP were gone.

I tried to find a fix for that, but I can't find the script that does the withdrawing and saving the infos about the withdrawn Pokemon. I thought it could be handled similar to how the HP and status is saved?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Bugs in Pokémon Essentials version 16.2 are no longer valid for this thread.
Pokémon Essentials has been updated to version 17, and thus, only bugs in that version can be reported here.

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

Bug fixed!

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I have just fixed a couple of bugs in v17 and reuploaded it.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED ESSENTIALS v17, PLEASE DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN.

Arkadious

Developer of Fragmentum
Years
The pokegear no longer cycles upward though the main menu part of it. When scrolling up past the first option, the bar disappears and if you press enter it takes you out of the pokegear.

Years
An error with Pokemon's forms in battle; when a Pokemon with a second form is in a battle and if you have a Megaring, you can make a Mega-Evolution for obtain the second form. I use V.17 of Essentials.

Back