• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Onyx Version

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
Pokémon: Onyx Version

Introduction

Welcome to the thread for my Pokemon fan game: Pokémon: Onyx Version. This game is being made using Pokemon Essentials and Kyledove's Sinnoh tilesets. I am 4th Gen Matt, creator of this project. This fan game has had many ups and downs in the past. The very first time I started the project, I realized that I did not have enough experience to actually make a fan game. The 2nd go at the game was going great, that is, until my computer broke down for another 2 months of absolutely no development. The 3rd go, this time around, I have a fully functional computer, the experience, and the desire to make a great fan game. So lets get started, shall we?

Storyline

The game takes place in the beautiful region of Fuji. One year ago, after your parent's divorce, you and your dad moved to Ivory Town and you enrolled in a one-year Trainers' Prep School. Upon graduation day, you are given a choice of the three KANTO starters from your professor. After choosing your starter and saying your goodbyes, you leave Ivory Town in a rush. Your goal to gather all eight gym badges so you can compete in the Grand tournament at the end of the year. Things will not be as simple as they seem, though. Team Astro is planning on using the Nightmare Pokemon: Darkrai to assist them in their rise to power. If their dreams come to fruition, many will die and the rest enslaved. Can you assist the police in stopping these madmen while gaining your eight gym badges in time for the tournament, or will their evil dreams come true, bringing upon the end of the world as we know it?

Features

A brand new region to explore: Explore the Fuji Region's many beautiful cities, towns, maps, and caves. The region gets colder the farther north you go and warmer the farther south you go.

Shadow Pokemon: Shadow Pokemon are Pokemon that have been experimented on by Team Astro. Once Team Astro had no further use for them, they were released into the wild. They are purple and gray in color and are very rare to find. Shadow Pokemon get a 5% boost in the Attack stat.

Pure Pokemon: Nobody knows exactly how Pure Pokemon came to be. Some still believe that they are simply a mirage seen by trainers that have become weary from their travels. Pure Pokemon are also very rare and are gold and light blue in color. Pure Pokemon get a 5% boost in the Sp.Atk stat.

Side Quests: Do you want a break from battling evil organizations and gathering gym badges? You can partake in certain side quests throughout the game. Side quests can range from simple tasks, such as delivering a letter to much harder tasks such as bringing a little girl her favorite "rare" Pokemon. Side quests will always have a reward unless the person states that they do not have anything to give you (as they say though, what goes around comes around.)

Catch all legendaries in player-involving events: All legendary Pokemon are going to have their own well-thought out event. Some you can catch as you progress through your game and others are available after you beat the game.

A whole new cast of characters: This game is going to have a cast of over 20 new characters. From the male hero to the Elite 4 members. Almost all main characters will be brand new!

An interesting and sinister storyline: The storyline is not as happy-go-lucky as the official games. If you do not play your cards right, people may die and suffer.

A whole new Elite 4 experience: Forget the currently boring Elite 4. The only way you are going to be battling these elite trainers is if you fight your way to the top against dozens of equally ambitious trainers in the Grand Tournament. I hope you packed extra underwear. Your going to need it.

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Map Shots

Here is a list of maps that are currently available for the public to view.

Staff

4th Gen Matt - Project Leader, Mapper, Spriter, Storyboard Writer, Eventor
Red Gyarados - Mapper
Merovin - Mapper

Want to help?

Pokemon: Onyx Version is always looking for friendly, talented people to assist in the development of this fan game. Here is a list of jobs we are currently looking to fill. Even if your talent is not on the list, feel free to PM or VM me an application that includes the position you would like, the reason you want to join our team, and some proof of work.

Overworld Spriter

Support Banners

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
I'd put something useful on the return track of the first route too, like a berry tree or item. or at least make it not a perfectly straight line. add some flavor.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
No offense bu I think your map is too plain.
Try putting in some flowers.

I'd put something useful on the return track of the first route too, like a berry tree or item. or at least make it not a perfectly straight line. add some flavor.

Well since I am not very good with scenery and the likes, Pyro Yahtzee, aka Trace, has offered to help me spruce up the maps a bit.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and criticism. Much appreciated.

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
Thats okay so how's progress going along?

Kind of slow. Red Gyarados has been a bit busy so I just recruited another great mapper to help lighten the load on him. It should be going a bit faster now.

Anyway, I am looking to have a demo around the end of May.

EDIT: I have the next two days off of school due to junior's ACT testing. Then I have a half day on Friday, and then the weekend. With all this extra time, I am hoping to get an update out sometime during the weekend.

One more thing. If I were to release a demo. What would everybody like to see in it?

Last edited:

Merovin

Dragon Master!
Years

Look good so far! Glad I've been allowed to help with your project.
For a demo, what would I like...
A tease of the full story and some more indepth puzzles?
I don't know about others, but I like to get to some points where I'd like to have to think about what I'm doing; just something simple but a bit more complex than normal Pokémon games.
I like the idea of bringing Shadow Pokémon into it, along with the addition of Pure Pokémon.
Should be great!

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years

Look good so far! Glad I've been allowed to help with your project.
For a demo, what would I like...
A tease of the full story and some more indepth puzzles?
I don't know about others, but I like to get to some points where I'd like to have to think about what I'm doing; just something simple but a bit more complex than normal Pokémon games.
I like the idea of bringing Shadow Pokémon into it, along with the addition of Pure Pokémon.
Should be great!

Not as glad as I am to have you on the team. :) Thanks for getting that map to me on time. Expect an update tomorrow (Sunday, April 25) everybody!

I was already thinking about adding some puzzles into the game. Perhaps we will see an update concerning puzzles in the not-so-distant future. ;)

EDIT: I am pushing back the update another day. I wasn't able to get a certain thing done and if I release the update without it then it will feel empty. Stay tuned everybody (if there is anybody out there.) Post if your out there!

EDIT 2: I have learned the hard way that you should never make update promises unless you are 100% sure you can get it finished. It probably would have been finished but one of the staff members has been a bit inactive and was not able to get something done he said he would have done. I still could have released it today, but it would have felt incomplete without it. If he is not on tomorrow, I will take it upon myself to do the work. Expect (hopefully; don't hold me to it) an update two days from now. Which is April 29th. Thanks for understanding everybody. -shot-

Is anybody even out there? I feel like I am talking to myself. Please leave some comments. Even if you do not like it, I would prefer for somebody to say that the game sucks than to have people not post. I honestly feel like my game is being completely ignored. For those who don't know, feeling like your game is being ignored is not a big inspiration to keep making it. So I urge you, post as if your life depended on it! =D

Last edited:

Freak A

Back !!!
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
hey i remember this thread being in the showcase what happened

Time Shift Dialga

Son of a Pachizel!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 1, 2011
You can easily see that's Kyledove's - it's so... unique, also the style is my faveourite plain one =D

---

I do quite like that sunset screenie - it's quite a nice map overall, just a little more decor and it'll be close to perfect =D

The plot is a little more origional for the most part, but people are still sticking to evil teams? Then again, what's a fangame without them - I shall have to test that for myself xD

Back