• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hobbit (And 48 fps)

Years
Spoiler:

While the jury may still be out on how effective/useful the increased frame rate is, so far, the Hobbit looks to add to Peter Jackson's already large Oscar trophy display case. I personally can't wait to see it.

What do you think? If you want to see the Hobbit, will it be in standard def (24 fps) or the higher frame rate? And what of the film in general?

------------------------

For those of you who don't know what 48fps means:

Frame Rate Wiki page said:
48p is a progressive format and is currently being trialed in the film industry. At twice the traditional rate of 24p, this frame rate attempts to reduce motion blur and flicker found in films. Director James Cameron stated his intention to film the two sequels to his film Avatar at a higher frame rate than 24 frames per second, in order to add a heightened sense of reality. The first film to be filmed at 48 FPS was The Hobbit, a decision made by its director Peter Jackson. At a preview screening at CinemaCon, the audience's reaction was mixed after being shown some of the film's footage at 48p, with some arguing that the feel of the footage was too lifelike (thus breaking the suspension of disbelief)

Do you want to see 48p become the standard definition for movies? (The normal now is half that, 24p)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Is there and 48FPS IMAX 3D version?

I want to see it in IMAX (I think? Was it shot in it? I have no idea :X). And I want to see it in 48FPS. But not twice.

EDIT: A little research goes a long way. Was not shot in IMAX. So, I'll skip out on that. Was shot in 3D though, plus 48FPS of course.

Anyway, I want to check out the 48FPS version but I'm a little wary. I don't think I'll find it as jarring as some film critics have because games operate at 30 or 60 FPS generally. Probably wouldn't need to adjust. But, apparently it really makes certain flaws stand out more and it takes you out of the experienced. And I don't want that to happen. Jackson's Tolkien movies should be super immersive.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I always thought 24FPS was terribly low. This happens to be one of the few films I would want to watch so I'll definitely look out for the 48FPS version. Seems strange to me that well-funded films can't be shot at 600FPS, which I understand to be the approximate rate of the human eye, since it can be done. I suppose film rolls would have to be absurdly large but I don't see why those should be in use anymore regardless.

Years
I always thought 24FPS was terribly low. This happens to be one of the few films I would want to watch so I'll definitely look out for the 48FPS version. Seems strange to me that well-funded films can't be shot at 600FPS, which I understand to be the approximate rate of the human eye, since it can be done. I suppose film rolls would have to be absurdly large but I don't see why those should be in use anymore regardless.

Remember they have to be able to display the right framerate at the other end. There's no point filming something in such a framerate if the projectors at the movie theatre can't display anywhere near that (I daresay a lot of them can't handle 48p at the moment), nor can Blu-Ray players or TVs handle anywhere near that.

100/120 Hz I can certainly understand, but there are massive diminishing returns past that.

All of the film critics complaining about the high framerate are being ridiculous and afraid of change. Higher framerates are better in every way possible. That's not up for debate. If you're not used to it, that doesn't make it bad.

I will see the 2D 48fps version, if possible. 3D doesn't look great to my eyes, but a higher framerate certainly will. In fact, I'm MORE interested in this because of the framerate.

Last edited:
Years
I will see the 2D 48fps version, if possible. 3D doesn't look great to my eyes, but a higher framerate certainly will. In fact, I'm MORE interested in this because of the framerate.

Yes. Jackson himself has specifically said that the film was edited and cut with the intention of being viewed in 48 fps, so that's what I'm going to do.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The film was amazing ahhh. I've never seen any of the Lord of The Rings Films, nor read the books, but it was such a great film and it's making me want to watch them all! I was surprised about how Gandolf acted in the film since I had different expectations of him based on what I'd heard and Golem was... just wow... but the film was incredible. As for the 48fps, I honestly couldn't tell the difference whilst watching it other than having to pay extra to see it, but the 3D in this film was very effective and added a lot to the experience. Plus they gave me two sets of 3D glasses by mistake - win.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Yes; I presume the main reason they keep films is only for copyright purposes, but feel free to correct me.
With a talented cinematographer, film will likely look much better than digital.

In any event, I'm pretty sure film still features a greater colour range and better low light capabilities than digital. Most important is that film is of a higher resolution. A much higher resolution.

Using Star Wars as an example, George Lucas shot Episodes II and III in digital HD. The other four movies were shot on 35mm film. The end result of traditionally projected 35mm would essentially be like 1080p. But, going forward as we adopt newer and greater screen resolutions? 35mm film can be digitally transferred to a nearly 4000-line resolution image! That is, if you had to somehow talk about raw 35mm in pixels, about where it would be. But something shot in 1080p is stuck in 1080p forever. So, in the next round of movie playing home devices - "Super HD" maybe? - Episodes II and III will look worse than their film counterparts because they are stuck in 1080p (but will probably be upscaled somehow) while the other four movies would be transferred to (if we're talking about the potential for ultra-high definition televisions, for example) 4320p (upscaled from 4000p).

And then if we're talking 70mm IMAX film, well that's just massive. As an example, you're missing a lot of the picture in the IMAX The Dark Knight scenes on the Blu-ray print.

Digital is... convenient. Not yet better.

For the record, me discussing how film would translate into raw pixel resolutions isn't entirely accurate as that never happens. There's a lot of middle-processes that prevent a 1:1 transfer of that resolution. 35mm generally sits at around 2000-lines in vertical resolution, still greater than 1080p though. It'd actually be better if you look at megapixel equivalents for an accurate number. The general idea is the same though

---

Anyway, I want to see this in 3D because it was shot in 3D. I'm not sure I want to see in HFR because it apparently makes interior sets look more fake. But at the same time it makes 3D look better (no longer dim). So... I don't know what to do XD

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'd love to start a thread about the differences between film and digital cinematography... but let's just keep discussion focused on The Hobbit for the time being. I'll probably start a thread of that nature at some point over the weekend (or if anyone else wants to, they're more than welcome to do so)!

Back to The Hobbit, I have absolutely no intention of seeing it. I think I liked the LOTR films when I saw them way back when, but the biggest memories I have of them are sitting for hours and hours in a cinema waiting for them all to end. Suffice to say that the negative things I've heard about 48ps have done nothing to endear me to a film that I was - at best - tentative about seeing. I'm glad that the people who have seen it tend to enjoy it, but this is a definitely "not for me" type of film.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'd love to start a thread about the differences between film and digital cinematography... but let's just keep discussion focused on The Hobbit for the time being. I'll probably start a thread of that nature at some point over the weekend (or if anyone else wants to, they're more than welcome to do so)!

Back to The Hobbit, I have absolutely no intention of seeing it. I think I liked the LOTR films when I saw them way back when, but the biggest memories I have of them are sitting for hours and hours in a cinema waiting for them all to end. Suffice to say that the negative things I've heard about 48ps have done nothing to endear me to a film that I was - at best - tentative about seeing. I'm glad that the people who have seen it tend to enjoy it, but this is a definitely "not for me" type of film.
I'll probably go see it this weekend or next. But... I'm wary. I liked the LotR movies for what they were. The Hobbit is not LotR. It looks like Jackson tried to make LotR-light, but that seems offputting to me because that isn't really what it is.

Years
Saw it yesterday.

• Martin Freeman was great and every scene with him in it was a good scene.
  • It was never boring, which is a great thing. Sure it may have had its faster and slower parts, but I never felt like I was waiting for something to happen.
  • The special effects didn't seem as good as the ones in LotR. I saw this in 2D and have no idea if it was 24, 48 or whatever that stuff you were all talking about.
  • Makeup, especially hair, was amazing to look at.
  • I liked that there was some fun built in it and not just random comedic moments that feel out of place like they do in LotR. I feel like del Toro's hand is in that somewhere.
  • I didn't especially like the parts where they were trying overly hard to tie the movie into LotR, especially during the Council of Reprised Roles scene. (I mean, I like Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, and Christopher Lee, but they didn't need to be in this movie.)
  • I laughed every time "Sexy the Dwarf" was on screen. You'll know which one I'm talking about when you see the movie. But you know, sure, why not have hot dwarfs? After all, the Lord of the Rings was practically cast entirely by models anyway.
Not an especially great movie. Won't be seeing it again for a long time, but I saw it at a matinee for $7 and I've paid more for worse.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'll probably see it at some point but I still don't understand why they felt the need to artificially split the duology into a trilogy in post, it's just ridiculous and will result in a lot of unnecessary padding. I doubt 48fps will bother me at all, I'm used to playing games at 60fps and above, so no issues there.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I'll probably see it at some point but I still don't understand why they felt the need to artificially split the duology into a trilogy in post, it's just ridiculous and will result in a lot of unnecessary padding. I doubt 48fps will bother me at all, I'm used to playing games at 60fps and above, so no issues there.

That was probably going to happen even if it had remained a pair. While The Hobbit isn't long as a book, it's one of those stories where the long run time feels beneficial and necessary. When you do that over more than just a single film, it's going to drag. But I suppose the line of thinking is "why make 200 million dollars when you can make one billion?" that lead to this becoming a trilogy.

Just you wait, we'll probably get a five movie series based on The Silmarillion some day as well.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Saw an HFR 3D UltraAVX presentation of the film today. That's a lot of acronyms. UltraAVX is essentially the local cineplex chain's lingo for "one of the auditoriums that we've bothered to upgrade recently and you can pay a premium to be in it".

The movie was a mixed bag. The first act in the Shire could use some editing. A lot of editing. It takes a good long while to get going and the burp-jokes feel out of place. Pacing and tone is still kind of broken until after the troll scene. After that it's enjoyable and it feels more like you're back in the old films. But it always has a very evident feeling (at least if you're familiar with the book, I guess) that this is lighter fare being padded and stretched beyond its limits. I don't mind the extra material and trying to make it fit better with the first trilogy, and as two well-paced films it can work. But three? No. Also, as if bowing to pressure from Tokien fans after complaints in the last trilogy for not following every single word - this movie, unwisely, includes the songs. In short, this movie needs editing.

As for HFR, I don't think it adds much. The first ten minutes or so (basically, the prologue) looked really awkward as I adjusted to the speed. Actions were jittery and people walked around like in an old-timey movie. After I adjusted, I didn't notice it anymore. Which I guess it good, but also... then what's the point if it ultimately looks like same? Action scenes were still blurry, it didn't solve that problem. Sure still scenes were really clear, but IMAX does this already. It made 3D look terrific though, some of the best I've seen. And yet...I didn't enjoy the 3D. Whereas Hugo (which I think made the best use of 3D), embraced 3D and used it to enhance the movie into a beautiful work of art - with The Hobbit, 3D coupled with HFR feels very realistic. And I don't want realistic. I want film. This is Tolkien. This is fantasy. Hyper-realism doesn't fit. it feels like you're really there - not in Middle-Earth, but on a film set. The best description I've seen likened the effect to the greatest BBC or PBS production. A soap opera. A high-end home video camera. It lacks the filmic quality that I want when I go the movie theatre. The magic. Throughout the whole movie though, any quick shots or inserts felt too fast and would take me out of the movie.

Speaking of which...40 minutes of commercials and advertisements before the movie actually started. Holy cow. Did not have to make this movie any longer than it already was.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

I liked the use of some of the songs in the movie, thank you very much.

Loved the movie very much. Can't wait for the second one, but I agree in that stretching it to three films is a bit much, especially considering in terms of the books The Hobbit was shorter than Fellowship of the Ring, if I recall.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I liked the use of some of the songs in the movie, thank you very much.

Loved the movie very much. Can't wait for the second one, but I agree in that stretching it to three films is a bit much, especially considering in terms of the books The Hobbit was shorter than Fellowship of the Ring, if I recall.
I know they're in the book, but when acted out it just seemed super cheesy. They could keep the one that was in the trailers about the mountain. But really no point to the Goblin King's little song or the dwarfs singing about what Bilbo hates

(I enjoyed the movie by the way, if that wasn't clear. But once is enough for me)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Note: This thread may contain spoilers.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, released December 14th internationally, is the first in a fantasy adventure trilogy adaptation of J. J. Tolken's The Hobbit, written in 1937. The movie starts with Bilbo Baggins writing a memo that composes the setting of the story - Middle-earth approximately 60 years prior to the events of The Lord of the Rings.

Did you venture to see this movie when it came out? If so, how did you feel about it? If you have read The Hobbit, did the movie do it justice by adapting its elements/characters, etc well? Did it live up to your expectations, if any, overall, or was it a complete flop? If you haven't seen it yet, do you plan on seeing it? If so, what are your expectations of it at this time?

I, myself, saw it last Friday and quite honestly, I thought it wasn't nearly as good as I expected, and it was definitely not worth the sixteen dollars I paid for myself and a friend to see it. The basis of the story is solid, but the progression of said story was, at best, at a snail's pace. The movie moved very, very slowly, and the only notable event that occurred was Bilbo finding the ring. That's fantastic, but what else happened? Gandalf saved everyone on multiple occasions because everyone went limp every time they were captured/in a bind of some sort. To top all that off, the 'cliff hanger ending' was hardly a cliff hanger and it ended so suddenly that it didn't make me want to see the second one; it made me want to get a refund. v___v

Share your thoughts/expectations of this movie!

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
I truthfullly kind of liked it, except for the fact that it didn't really have that "Lotr fantasy" atmosphere like the trilogy did. Not only that, but Gandalf used more magic/power in that movie than he did out of all the trilogy movies combined. I just hope the second movie is better...

Back