• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is love? <3

string555

Banned
Years
So I've seen over the years that some people say "It can't really be explained", "It's different for everyone" and all that, so I'm curious what everyone's take on it is.

Due to my lack of experience with it, my definition is probably overly simplistic, but I think it's when someone cares more about a person than themselves. When you have 2 people who feel that same way, they just constantly elevate each other and so it works out. Then maybe it doesn't work out when someone stops caring about the other person more than them.

So what is it, PC, in your own words?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Spoiler:

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Love, first of all, is not just limited to romance. It's amazing how many people don't realize this.
You can love a romantic partner.
You can love a parent.
You can love a sibling
You can love your child.
You can love your friend.
You can love your mentor.

Love exist in many forms. I feel what separates love from a normal friendship/partnership is basically what string said- when you care about each other so much that you lift each other up, protect each other, empower each other no matter what, I think that's what love is.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I can't put it into my own words because I don't know. I sometimes wonder if I have ever been in love and I can never come to a conclusive answer. There have been times in my life where I thought I loved someone only to think later on that I never did

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
i think that...love is like the way you show someone you care. the small things you do for them. it's also when you.. care for someone a lot and they mean a lot to you, whether that be platonic or romantically.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
refer to my set

There are multiple kinds of love but I assume this means romantic. I have only experienced that once and that in a very passive way, so I am still not very aware of what love is like. I can only describe it in feelings:

Love made me feel warm and giddy. I cared for her in a selfless way, and anything she said or felt affected me in a different way than the rest of the world. I wanted to be close to her as often as possible; to speak to her all the time and be the one to make her laugh. I behaved differently around her without knowing, people around me actually noticed far before I did. This was both a good and bad change in behaviour - I still don't know which one I was when. One time she insulted the clothes I wore and cried the rest of the day. When I saw her the next day the sadness and small bit of anger I felt was dispelled immediately. That's what she did to me I guess.

It pains me that I was never able to become hers, but I will never hold that against her. She has a boyfriend now and it makes me happy to see her happy with him. In the rare moments I still speak her I want to find as many new things about her as possible. I still allow myself to bask in the warmth I feel when I see or speak to her. I am no part of her life anymore but I wish her as much happiness as possible.

Love, I think, is... Finding an extra spot in your heart for that special someone. That doesn't have to be romantic, but in my case it was.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Love is an intimate attachment to someone you need to be around; your equal in life, partner, and companion.

The person outside your family you know you can always count on to listen to you, help you, and be there for you in any capacity. The person you can share every intimate detail about yourself without fear.

That's what I want, anyway.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Love, in romance, family or platonic relations, is simply caring a lot about someone, no matter what. Standing by them when things get tough.

Years
I don't really know anything about romance love, I thought I was in love with somebody once upon a time, but maybe I was mistaken.

Am yet to experience a relationship yet, so if I do, one day I can come back here and try to explain it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Say, you have a species that finds itself in a position where it only recognizes itself as possessing a property we refer to as "mind". Naturally, such a species would strife to set itself apart from all other species.

In particular, when we refer to "mind" we can also include an important ability. This ability is called "coming up with concepts". Love is one of these concepts. In particular, the thing we originally refer to as love is exactly the same as any other animal sees it: survival to create a new generation of the species. When people say that there's many types of love and that not everyone of them is for procreation, they seem to forget that building communities, doing stuff together and co all just have that ultimate goal of survival of its species.

What makes humankind's type of love different from all the other animals is not the outcome, which is still the same, but rather that it is imbued with this property we refer to as mind, or human mind, as people still haven't found confirmation that other species exist that are capable of this concept creating property as well.

Years
For me what it has been like is barely being able to see straight. You think about that person everyday, you cannot not think about them. They appear in your head throughout the day, no matter how far away they are from you or what you are doing. And even when you are in the company of someone else, even somebody you like and care about and are enjoying yourself, your thoughts travel back to the man or a woman who has stolen your heart.

The things that they say or think mean more than anyone else. And you respect them and can hardly get enough of them. You can chat with them after midnight and hours fly, yet you could still talk some more. You get so excited, and all the work and energy required to sustain a relationship with them is a sacrifice that you are content to make.

When you are around this person they make you feel so happy. You feel better about yourself, and even if you are going through hard times, the thought of them makes you hopeful and gives you nourishment. You feel more confident about yourself and just at ease often and you dream of bigger things. You are eager about living and others see it too. Whatever charms that person has are so infectious that you become better than you were before just by being around. You are so alive. And because that person makes you feel so good all you want to do is make them proud and be there for them and help them whenever you can and love them with all your heart. Love makes you braver and more emotional than you ever knew that you could be, and that person is just beautiful to you. Even the plainest girl or boy can become beautiful if you love them enough. You can see beyond their faults and may even be charmed by some of them.

They just awaken an entirely new sense in you, and the world is turned upside down, and its a beautiful view. That is the way I have felt about my sweet boyfriend these last few months, and as we have said to eachother before "love is not a strong enough word" for how we feel about one another.

TY

Aight so my earlier shitpost aside (how did that get end up here tho).

Love to me is... as of right now I can't say much on the matter. It could be a variety of explainations shown in earlier posts by other members, who knows, time can only tell before I can truly make a statement about love itself.

Love to me feels more like... Let's say my life is this big puzzle and in it are many pieces fit to make my life complete. Love is one of said pieces, but right now it's missing out of the puzzle and the piece itself is hidden in a stack full of different puzzle pieces.

It's a insanely hard search, at least for me personally, to find love. There have been moments where I just wanted to give up entirely cause it never seemed to find its place, always missing out on someone, or looking in the wrong direction or places.

Even right now I kinda feel like giving up, due to how my life has shaped up the past few months (it's one massive mess lemme tell you that). Although I'm very stubborn even though it may not look like it in first sight I give up, then return to it only to give up again.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I feel the types of feelings I have for the fictional character Korrina work well with stuff i've read about 'being in love'.

She seems to bring me a sense of joy and comfort and hopefulness and confidence that nothing else seems to give me. And the idea of living without her is like hell to me.

And I feel she's my best friend ever whenever I daydream about her (...regardless of whether or not theres actual fangirling xD).

I wonder if real life relationships in the future will feel similar or even about the same for me o.o

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I feel the types of feelings I have for the fictional character Korrina work well with stuff i've read about 'being in love'.

She seems to bring me a sense of joy and comfort and hopefulness and confidence that nothing else seems to give me. And the idea of living without her is like hell to me.

And I feel she's my best friend ever whenever I daydream about her (...regardless of whether or not theres actual fangirling xD).

I wonder if real life relationships in the future will feel similar or even about the same for me o.o

A mutual connection with someone who you can actually interact with in this world, and who will respond to your emotions with their own, is a whole lot different than a crush on a cartoon character. Just saying. I can't even really call them the same thing at all.

Aight so my earlier ****post aside (how did that get end up here tho).

Love to me is... as of right now I can't say much on the matter. It could be a variety of explainations shown in earlier posts by other members, who knows, time can only tell before I can truly make a statement about love itself.

Love to me feels more like... Let's say my life is this big puzzle and in it are many pieces fit to make my life complete. Love is one of said pieces, but right now it's missing out of the puzzle and the piece itself is hidden in a stack full of different puzzle pieces.

It's a insanely hard search, at least for me personally, to find love. There have been moments where I just wanted to give up entirely cause it never seemed to find its place, always missing out on someone, or looking in the wrong direction or places.

Even right now I kinda feel like giving up, due to how my life has shaped up the past few months (it's one massive mess lemme tell you that). Although I'm very stubborn even though it may not look like it in first sight I give up, then return to it only to give up again.

Part of that problem I feel is wanting to force it. I've been there, but that only makes things feel more desperate. Just focus on other things, while keeping yourself open and you might get surprised. That's what worked for me.

Last edited:

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
For me what it has been like is barely being able to see straight. You think about that person everyday, you cannot not think about them. They appear in your head throughout the day, no matter how far away they are from you or what you are doing. And even when you are in the company of someone else, even somebody you like and care about and are enjoying yourself, your thoughts travel back to the man or a woman who has stolen your heart.

The things that they say or think mean more than anyone else. And you respect them and can hardly get enough of them. You can chat with them after midnight and hours fly, yet you could still talk some more. You get so excited, and all the work and energy required to sustain a relationship with them is a sacrifice that you are content to make.

When you are around this person they make you feel so happy. You feel better about yourself, and even if you are going through hard times, the thought of them makes you hopeful and gives you nourishment. You feel more confident about yourself and just at ease often and you dream of bigger things. You are eager about living and others see it too. Whatever charms that person has are so infectious that you become better than you were before just by being around. You are so alive. And because that person makes you feel so good all you want to do is make them proud and be there for them and help them whenever you can and love them with all your heart. Love makes you braver and more emotional than you ever knew that you could be, and that person is just beautiful to you. Even the plainest girl or boy can become beautiful if you love them enough. You can see beyond their faults and may even be charmed by some of them.

They just awaken an entirely new sense in you, and the world is turned upside down, and its a beautiful view. That is the way I have felt about my sweet boyfriend these last few months, and as we have said to eachother before "love is not a strong enough word" for how we feel about one another.

this is a beautiful way to describe it!! this is the way i feel about my boyfriend, honestly. he's made me a better person and i think about him constantly and..just..yeah. what you said describes how i feel perfectly!

Back