• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Train in Vain

Years
\So this time, I told myself, "No. We are going to train them all equally." And guess what? I'm about 90 cumulative levels behind the E4 and I really don't want to finish the game now. :(

Lol I always do this, I'm somewhat OCD about it, actually.
Also, EternallyAnna, your thread names are awesome!

Okay. To be honest, I think they were a little harder (especially N/Ghetsis) but having the Elite Four all the same level made it a little easier, I felt. (If they had gone up in ranking it would've been bad for the game because of how you have to challenge them twice, etc) But yeah, Ghetsis was pretty difficult with his Hydreigon. And I'd have to say Alder was too, but I think I was somewhat overleveled at that point. XD

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
The only gym leader I had to rematch was Elesa. I hated her two Emolga so much. And still not as much as Ghetsis' Hydreigon. I had to fight him five times before I figured to teach Dragon Tail to my Serperior.

Anyway I can't compare to the other gens, but I noticed there wasn't much grinding to do between gym fights. I did reach the E4 pretty much underleveled though, but still.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
Haha, I had a slight hard time with BW's gym leaders. It was a test of patience because I had to battle every wild Pokemon that comes my way extensively before coming to the gym.

Other times, I trade my Pokemon to my Black and train them to higher levels, and trade it back to my White, where I now have an overpowered Pokemon and easily took the fun out of the game.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
is leveling up pokemon getting easier in black and white?

when i was playing my black version, i realized the my pokemon were getting at high levels real easily. i would battle people with pokemon under my level and my pokemon were getting to the next pokemon in the first three pokemon. it makes me think that now it easier to level them up. i traded my pokemon from my platinum to my black and my azelf was level 89 and it got up to level 90 before the day was over on the game.

what are your thoughts about it?

Mistyb89

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
I know exactly what you mean and it seems that they are leveling up ALOT quicker. I actually just started White for the first time the other day and compared to the other 6 games I have, I was actually able to level my whole party equally in this one. Ive always tried to do that in the past but it would always take way too long, so my starter Pokemon would always be always be 5-10-even 15 levels higher than the other Pokemon in my party. White isn't like that at all, I'm able to level them all up fairly quickly too.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
It won't seem that way once you get a few levels above them. Notice the experience gained is now a complicated formula, not a set number for each Pokémon and level. One battle with a wild Audino on Route 11 in the post-E4 could be worth 5,500 XP or 3,000 XP; your Pokémon's level dictates that, and the higher it is, the lower the number.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
when i was playing my black version, i realized the my pokemon were getting at high levels real easily. i would battle people with pokemon under my level and my pokemon were getting to the next pokemon in the first three pokemon. it makes me think that now it easier to level them up. i traded my pokemon from my platinum to my black and my azelf was level 89 and it got up to level 90 before the day was over on the game.

what are your thoughts about it?

While it isn't 100% the same question, a lot of people in this thread are having similar answers and rather than having a separate thread on it, I feel it fits in perfectly fine with this thread due to the type of answers you'll receive, and the fact that this thread in particular is based on training.

Years
While I didn't find much difficulty with the Gyms, I didn't quite expect the Elite Four to be as good as they were (and I actually lost an in-game battle for the first time since Sapphire when I faced Ghetsis after the Elite Four).

After the Elite Four, though, is a different story. Obviously, I was curious to look around in the new parts of the map, and I didn't think much about training before I went there. Just going on Route 15, I ended up facing a trainer with level 65 Pokemon, which were more than 10 levels higher than my best.

Years
I was always a couple levels below the Gym leaders and the E4, I always managed to beat them though. My friends pokemon at the same point in the games were always 6-10 levels higher than mine

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
The games themselves are becoming more and more difficult, since the DS has better AI and the Pokémon have better movesets. However, in BW I was overleveled most of the time, even without the Lucky Egg!

Audinos help take on the Elite Four and N/Ghetsis on equal footing, but it still takes a bit longer than desired.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
The games themselves are becoming more and more difficult, since the DS has better AI and the Pokémon have better movesets. However, in BW I was overleveled most of the time, even without the Lucky Egg!

Audinos help take on the Elite Four and N/Ghetsis on equal footing, but it still takes a bit longer than desired.
This pretty much, although I didn't use Audinos that much; I'm too impatient to find them haha.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I'm underleveled in every game, but even so I thought BW was really easy O_O I pretty much breezed right through everything..

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I'm always one to train ahead of the levels found in the area I'm located in, so I never really have a problem. The game was a breeze for me unfortunately, but that would be my fault since I overtrain. :p

Years
I sort of accidentally have a tendency to trade my team over to someone else and get them to take them through the E4 so that they get to about level 40 or so by the third gym. I like feeling superior to the rest of the Pokemon world.
I'll admit, my strategy leaves the games feeling empty. For example I've clocked up almost 160 hours on White so far which is far more time than I've ever bothered with any other game and I still don't have any level 100's simply because they get to about 90 or so and I just keep them there in my party as back-up.
But when I was playing the in-game storyline I got my Servine up to level 23 and i had a Roggenrola, a Whirlipede and a Timburr. I temporarily traded them to my friend who took them through the E4 twice each and they came back at level 45ish to which I just swept through the game without a scratch from Team Plasma.

There was no drama or anything being over levelled, I think I'll try and make the most of White 2 by not training them to level 50 before the game hah!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I'm almost always under leveled when I play a new Pokemon game, 'cause I don't know what level to expect. I also wind up switching Pokemon a lot when I find something I like more, and much grinding ensues. I must admit that I really hate grinding, but I hate giving up more.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Was kinda easy IMO. The Psychic E4 was a bit hard, but other than that it was really easy. Especially the fights with Ghetsis and N... Reshiram went down kinda quick. the Gyms were generally underleveled or the same level compared to me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
The new EXP system is one of the few criticisms I have towards the game. I already despise level grinding(Pokemon isn't as bad as some RPGs are about it, but I still hate that most of my hours are put into training instead of the actual story). The fact that good bit of the Unova pokemon evolve at high levels makes this even more frustrating. I know about Audino and that I'll eventually get the Exp. Share, but still.

I don't know if I still need to get more used it or not, but I prefer the old system.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The Exp. Share comes extremely early in this game. Spend your time hunting Audinos in the outer Pinwheel Forest area; that tends to be a great spot to hang out leveling up, since Route 4 on the other side of Castelia City is sand. You can get the Exp. Share from the Battle Company before even challenging Burgh. After beating him, head through Route 4 and into Nimbasa, earn a Bike by beating some idiots, then heal and head to Route 5 to continue the Audino hunt with an Exp. Share attached to a weaker Pokémon. :)

I am just getting ready to start using mine in SoulSilver right now; that one needed a minimum of four badges, but I chose to do it in five (putting off Olivine's badge until later).

Cyclone

Psystar63

☆ || [The Wandering Star] || ☆
Years
I struggled a bit with the first gym with those Lillipups constantly using Work up. I spent a bit of time grinding there. The rest of the gyms were fine. The Elite Four would have been tough, but I made sure to grind my Zweilous so that it would evolve into Hydreigon before I challenged them. I'm pretty sure its been the highest level Pokemon I've had to beat the E4 first time round (lv 64). Gen 5 has a lot of Pokemon that evolve at high levels, so it was an added incentive for me to level grind my Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I wasn't expecting to get 2 Exp. Shares and an early Lucky Egg. The game gets a lot easier after Elesa and I've barely had to grind at all(I've even been a few levels higher than the gym leaders).

Right now, I'm training to fight Drayden since this is the first time I've never had an ice attack on my water pokemon(Good Lord, are the store bought TMs expensive in this game. I won't get the ones I want until after I beat the Elite Four) and I don't have Reshiram yet. I was also plan to grind for Ghetsis(I try not to get too spoiled for my games but I have read so many stories on TV Tropes about how hard that old man is with his hacked Hydreigon).

I'm relieved because I was about to go buy an Action Replay(my old one broke), but I still don't like this new Exp. system. Still, it's not completely bad since it is great for training weaker pokemon so that they can catch up with rest of your team.

Last edited:
Back