• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Train in Vain

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I wasn't expecting to get 2 Exp. Shares and an early Lucky Egg. The game gets a lot easier after Elesa and I've barely had to grind at all(I've even been a few levels higher than the gym leaders).

Right now, I'm training to fight Drayden since this is the first time I've never had an ice attack on my water pokemon(Good Lord, are the store bought TMs expensive in this game. I won't get the ones I want until after I beat the Elite Four) and I don't have Reshiram yet. I was also plan to grind for Ghetsis(I try not to get too spoiled for my games but I have read so many stories on TV Tropes about how hard that old man is with his hacked Hydreigon).

I'm relieved because I was about to go buy an Action Replay(my old one broke), but I still don't like this new Exp. system. Still, it's not completely bad since it is great for training weaker pokemon so that they can catch up with rest of your team.
The beauty of the new system is that an Audino battle with a weak (Lv.1) Pokémon leading while holding the Lucky Egg will net it over 10,000 EXP for its own share. It's possible to hit Lv.25 from this. I've done it. It can have its problems for Pokémon that evolve and only learn a certain move evolving at a certain level (see: Zorua to Zoroark and Night Slash for instance, only at Lv.30 and cannot learn evolving at 31 or later).

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wasn't expecting to get 2 Exp. Shares and an early Lucky Egg. The game gets a lot easier after Elesa and I've barely had to grind at all(I've even been a few levels higher than the gym leaders).

Nor was I, it made it a lot easier to play through the rest of the game having the Lucky Egg there. But tbh it really isn't because they wanted to be nice but rather due to the exp system changes. Even so levelling up for things wasn't that hard in the first place since I overgrinded early on anyway so... yeah.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016

Nor was I, it made it a lot easier to play through the rest of the game having the Lucky Egg there. But tbh it really isn't because they wanted to be nice but rather due to the exp system changes.
That's not accurate. Until Unova, Lucky Eggs were only happened upon via wild Chanseys with a 5% chance of them holding one (can you say "Thief", anyone?). The Chansey line was not available in the Black version of the game; while they still can hold Lucky Eggs, Black players would be forced to rely on trading to acquire one. Therefore, Juniper was made to provide the first-ever Lucky Egg item not found on a wild Chansey. More can be found on Route 13 via the treasure guy.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That's not accurate. Until Unova, Lucky Eggs were only happened upon via wild Chanseys with a 5% chance of them holding one (can you say "Thief", anyone?). The Chansey line was not available in the Black version of the game; while they still can hold Lucky Eggs, Black players would be forced to rely on trading to acquire one. Therefore, Juniper was made to provide the first-ever Lucky Egg item not found on a wild Chansey. More can be found on Route 13 via the treasure guy.

Cyclone

Not really. Other version exclusives like more evolution stones are found in Black City, something White has to work for, plus each have more version exclusives in general. The fact that the exp system changed meant you needed to use the Lucky Egg more than you would before, so even still I'd put that down to the grinding thing, rather than the Chansey line not being able to be obtained in Black.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
My comment was not arguing the experience system per se; it was exclusively in discussion of the Lucky Egg item and its rate of appearance in Black/White (one guaranteed without meeting a Chansey). Personally, I don't have that other experience with stones in Black City other than the Moon Stone.

Cyclone

Years
I guess the reason behind the tweaking of the EXP system was to encourage players to use the Lucky Egg, and remember this is the first game where you can obtain a Lucky Egg outside of wild Chansey (although you don't see them in the wild in this game unless if you're playing White, so it is sort of fitting).

I mean, training is often a blast for me when I equip the Lucky Egg on something. And it's nice you can get extra Lucky Eggs from the guy on Route 13, it's so nice they made them easier to obtain.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I found B/W at around the same difficulty as the past games because I rarely use the Pokemon near a gym to completely dominate; I like a bit of a challenge. That, and I prefer using certain Pokemon in a team.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
BW was way to easy. I beat the gym leaders all one try. It took me a few trys to beat the elite four but i beat N and Genesis in one try. I went to the elite four, beat them again, and beat alder, all in one try. Now theres no one to battle.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
The cake is a lie.

Sorry, had to.

In all seriousness, for the most part, White wasn't much of a challenge to me. I had very few Game Overs (if I lose, I typically reset to give myself that feel) and most of them were against Ghestis. He really was difficult to beat. Nobody else in the game was. Many of the gym leaders were jokes and although I typically kept a consistent team, they really didn't have much of a problem with anyone.

I personally think that it was just as easy as any other Pokemon game, except playing through GSC for the first time. In my original Silver, I had a lot of trouble facing Bugsy's Scyther and Whitney's Miltank, but only because I was a newbie and didn't quite understand type advantages yet (and had started with Chikorita). I am replaying Crystal now. It's easy. Knowing those advantages and everything is what made Black and White seem too easy - GameFreak hasn't changed a thing, which sort of punishes those with knowledge. It doesn't press their boundaries and make them discover newness. It was the same game with different Pokemon. That is all it was.

BW was just as easy as all the others because they're all pretty much the same. GameFreak needs to give us something new, to tweak it (even in a minor way) every generation like Final Fantasy or Tales does with each and every game.

Years
There's no doubt GF need to cater to the more experienced players in their games. I personally am hoping that BW and BW2 are just GameFreak testing the waters of more advanced story lines, and if that be the case due to the success I believe we will very soon get more challenging story lines and quests in future Pokemon games.

Back on-topic; I found myself having finding a type advantage before every gym in every game I've played, in Emerald for example I'd start with Treeko, catch a Wingull for second gym, get an Aron and Mudslap my way through third, I never struggled with Norman, Wingull again for Flannery, Aron dealt with Winona with ease, Tag team Tate and Liza with Treeko and Wingull, Treeko for Wallace and that's all 8.
Every gym leader in 3 Pokemon (Obviously I would have evolved at the first chance I got.)

There will always be something super-effective towards a gym before you face it.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
As far as the Elite 4 goes...did you play the postgame and challenge them again? They're all level 70 and above. The first time you challenge them its meant to be easier so you can move along with the storyline. The second time is much harder.

Back