• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Surface 2 and the Surface Pro 2

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Details and pre-order information here.

As an owner of a Surface RT, I can say that they can only get better, barring major firmware bugs (that will get fixed anyway seeing as Microsoft is very good at patching and support of their hardware and software).

(Also: the current Surface RT will still be sold as a lower-cost version)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
They're not going to sell if they are that ridiculously overpriced. You can get a android tablet that does all of it's functions for about $199 and still get high specs and a higher range of apps.

The whole ecosystem of Microsoft is very convenient and the idea of a tablet with laptop-style capablites is a great idea, but it's a no sale if the price tag is that overbloated.

EDIT: Actually I think if Microsoft bumped the price down on the entry level Surface RT by about $100, I would consider it as my next tablet due to it's convenience. I can't justify it being as expensive as a game console.

Years
Not sure if I can say that I'm impressed or not.. especially by the large price tag on both tablets. Sure they might be cheaper than some iPad models, but I don't really think that Microsoft designed these for the average "I just need a tablet" person. I don't see myself getting one because I already have my Nexus 7 tablet for one, but also because it would feel weird for me to be using Windows on the go with a touchscreen interface and no cursor.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
They're not going to sell if they are that ridiculously overpriced. You can get a android tablet that does all of it's functions for about $199 and still get high specs and a higher range of apps.

The whole ecosystem of Microsoft is very convenient and the idea of a tablet with laptop-style capablites is a great idea, but it's a no sale if the price tag is that overbloated.

EDIT: Actually I think if Microsoft bumped the price down on the entry level Surface RT by about $100, I would consider it as my next tablet due to it's convenience. I can't justify it being as expensive as a game console.

A $199 Android tablet is unlikely to fill the same niche as a $499 tablet or a $899 laptop-in-disguise. I don't see myself using a 7" Android tablet for the things that I would gladly do on a Surface RT (which is a $349 tablet these days) - I don't see myself working on Microsoft Office documents on a 7" screen, or having to deal with compatibility. It's a minefield.

If the Surface RT ends up dropping in price further from $349 to $249, we're in fire sale territory. :)

Not sure if I can say that I'm impressed or not.. especially by the large price tag on both tablets. Sure they might be cheaper than some iPad models, but I don't really think that Microsoft designed these for the average "I just need a tablet" person. I don't see myself getting one because I already have my Nexus 7 tablet for one, but also because it would feel weird for me to be using Windows on the go with a touchscreen interface and no cursor.

They are designed for people that want more productivity, that's for sure.

I'm very used to Windows RT at this point - it feels perfectly fine when you are well aware that it's a tablet OS, not a real desktop OS.

I'm very interested in the covers, but seeing as I have my laptop again, I think I'll just cheap out and just get a case.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I have an ASUS Transformer Prime (Android 4.2.1), iPad 4th Genno (iOS 7, currently ownership of my mother), Surface RT (Windows RT 8.1), and Surface Pro (Windows 8.1 Pro).
Android on a Tablet is nothing more than terrible.

Android on a Phone is Laggy, but it runs fine on them, but on a Tablet, it's way to Laggy, lacks Tablet-optimised Apps, and loses support really quick. But at least it's cheap.

iOS is okay overall, but many sites are inaccessible on it, and like with Android, it's meant for home use only, I can't do my jobs on neither of them. A plus is, if you're a Developer, you don't need to worry about 9283928573 Devices being different.

Windows RT is a great Tablet OS, but lacks many Apps. Disallowing 'legacy' Apps is a bad idea, in my opinion, XDA-Developers have proven Windows RT can run 'legacy' Apps perfectly fine, when re-compiled for ARM. Besides, that's why people don't see an added value to it over Android and iOS.
I'm using Windows RT for home use.

Windows 8(.1) Pro is the best Tablet OS so far. It feels complete, it is complete. The Surface Pro is the only Tablet on the Market I can use for work. After a while, I've got problems with Touch Recognition, so I disabled the Touch Screen Driver, and continued to use the Stylus instead. Also, the Surface Pro gets burning hot after a short while, I've found out that if I use a fan behind that thing, it stays cool enough to at least use it as a Laptop.
I've recently hooked it on my TV via HDMI (via Mini-Display), plugged in a USB Hub with a Mouse, LAN Adapter, and External HDD mounted, and a Bluetooth Keyboard attached to it, and now I even use it as my Desktop PC.

As for Surface (Pro) 2, I'm not sure I want one, I'm perfectly fine with my Surface Pro.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If you have a Surface Pro, I think you'll be happy with what you have for a long while. Ivy Bridge processors are very capable and should be workable, even after years. It's only the battery life that's iffy.

Back