• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you read fanfics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
What I want to know is, do you read fanfics? Do you read a lot of them or just a select few? What brought you to read a story? Do you think a writer of fanfics should read others' works? Share your thoughts.

I've read a few fanfics. I mostly got into them over the summer, but I have hardly read any now that college has started. I try my best to keep up on my favorites. What brought me to reading them was reviewing. I thought that writers needed to know people were reading, so I always left a review or something. I tried to read every story that got posted, but I soon lost time for that. I think that people who write should check out others' works. It helps keep the section active and builds up a community. Unfortunately, it seems that not a lot of people check out others' work, but expect people to check out their own instead, which sounds pretty bad when worded like that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Reading, writing, and reviewing fanfiction was, at one point in my life, my main way to interact in fandom. It's how I got my start and how I built a name for myself in certain corners. As time went on, though, I just lost the time to be as active. It also didn't help that the favorites I used to follow either ended, or there was nothing new to grab my attention. The trends in fanfiction were beginning to drift away from what I liked, and I am even starting to lose interest in a few of my fanfics due to my own interests changing.

When I look for in a fanfic to read depends on the fandom. For Pokemon, I like original trainer fanfics that do something different, especially right in the beginning. Start off with a solid beginning that does something that I haven't seen before, and I'll read a original trainer fic. I'll also keep my eye out for certain authors that I know I can trust to write well, and I'll read their fanfic no matter what it's about. Some authors, though, I haven't read some of their works due to time constraints.

Unfortunately, it seems that not a lot of people check out others' work, but expect people to check out their own instead, which sounds pretty bad when worded like that.
This is going to be honest and harsh, as the truth tends to be. I've been a member of this forum for almost seven years, and had been the moderator of this section for almost six of those years. And this problem comes up at least every year.

Thread 1
Thread 2

These threads discuss the problem of a lack of reviewing here on PC. This thread was an idea to get people who post stories a chance to get a guaranteed review, but they'd have to review another person's work. It didn't go far at all.

This has been a problem on PC for years, and any effort to rectify this situation has failed due to other people losing interest. There will always be one or two people who try to get other people reviewing, and while there are some volunteers in the beginning, interest dies off and the section becomes quiet again.

This is nothing against current members. As I said, PC has always had this problem where people post their stories and expect others to review them without reviewing the other people posting their own stories. There's no real community here, which is a shame. If people were more willing to interact with each other, then this section would be better and could actually grow instead of stagnating.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
I would have to completely agree with Astinus. A while ago, this section was really fun. It was a nice community where everyone was talking in between writing their own chapters. I think the main problem that occurs here on PC is that not too many people know each other anymore. There's a lack of interaction on everyone's part (mines included).

A while ago, when I first started writing here, I will say that the community was a bit more social and active. Personally, I was much more active and reviewed much more than I did now, but that's only because I was in high school and had way more time to read stories. I'm slowly shifting towards the ability to have more time to actually read stories now (but it's a process lol), but this will probably occur once this semester ends (can't come any sooner lol).

But like Asty said, reading and reviewing has been a problem for a while now and I know it can be frustrating for many of the writers here. It's discouraging to write when there's no one reading your story, but that's human nature. One thing I will say is that I have read a few stories on the front page (the ones that have been active within the past month) and I will get around to making comments about them. I'm currently in the process of finishing up the first volume of my fanfic and once that is done, I'm going to commit some time to read other stories, not just for the betterment of the PC community, but just because I haven't read something on here in a while and I am genuinely interested in seeing what everyone else is capable of!

So, if you guys could, hold me accountable to help build up this community to how it was! (Back in the days when we had the Fan Fiction Lounge lol). :)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
TurtleKing said:
I think the main problem that occurs here on PC is that not too many people know each other anymore. There's a lack of interaction on everyone's part (mines included).
I think you just pinpointed what's wrong. Friends can make all the difference. There's not much discussion going on, even in topics where it would be really simple to. People are just posting and going. I don't even know if they come back to the thread. I'm probably just rambling again, but the point is, I agree with what you said.

Astinus said:
This is going to be honest and harsh, as the truth tends to be.
I don't think that was harsh. Honest definitely, but not harsh. Not a lot of people have the time to write a full length review. That, or they're concerned with whether or not they would make a mistake and look like an idiot in front of everybody. Like you said, it's just the nature of this forum.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I usually don't get the time to read them up so I do a skim and understand the style which the writer used and the way the whole story is constructed. I don't go in-depth because like everybody these days nobody's got time. However, if the author in question is a friend/known person, I make an exception and sit there and read the whole thing for an hour. Then I wonder if it was entertaining enough to mention. I feel that I'm obliged to do this in the case of a friend.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
Years
I used to. It was actually my job as a volunteer critic on another forum, but I essentially stopped after I left the site. The lack of people actually trying to write fanfics as if they're actual fiction stories was so unbearable that I couldn't stand critiquing things anymore just because I was obliged to. I can be a pretty stern critic, but I've decided to avoid saying anything about people's fics anymore since they tend to get really butthurt over having things like grammar/spelling and plothole issues pointed out. This is why I just stick to writing nowadays, whether other people read my stories or not.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
I try, because I feel guilty if I don't - rightly or wrongly, I feel that by posting here I enter into a kind of contract to read as well as to write. But so few of them hold my interest that I can count the fanfictions I've actually finished on the fingers of one hand, and many of the rest make the same kinds of errors again and again, so that making myself compose a response to them is quite difficult.

I suppose I lack the drive to engage and help other writers improve as much as I can. I do make attempts to cultivate that drive, but nothing bores me more thoroughly or quickly than reading something that I feel I've seen a hundred times before, repeated again right down to the spelling mistakes.

Hum. Time for some guilt-reviewing, I think. Perhaps I will find some gems to surprise me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I read a lot of fanfiction, actually :3 Just not much pokémon. Whenever I watch a movie and really like it, I actually browse fanfiction.net to see if there is any good fics about my favorite characters, haha (it's a bit embarrassing to admit but)

So basically, it's the canon characters of movies and books and such I like to read about, to see what could have been if not this or that. I guess pokémon hasn't got enough interesting characters for me to read a lot of it.

Original characters and stories in an established fictional world really has to have an interesting premise or setting for me to get hooked. Cutlerine's stories are good examples :3 Possibly because it's very much about the characters and their personal adventures, or so I've seen it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Well, if it catches my interest, I will definitely read it. I even have a few fanfics of my own, though no Pokémon fanfics...

Years
I read anything that catches my eye, but most of the time I'm just left with disappointment to the point where I can't even review it nicely. Just leave it alone and move on.

There is this story from another forum that is quite good, but I have a hard time finding time to read it. So that's another reason I only get into something worth reading.

Crux

Evermore
Years
I try to read each and every thread in the writing section, but admittedly, most of the time I'm not even signed in. It's really a problem that I'm striving to fix, so expect some honest and straightforward reviews, people.

One of the major gaps that a lot of people I know have between forming an opinion, and writing a review is that they don't want to come off as rude.
I've seen it countless times where somebody writes a bad fan fic or story and begs for people to serve as betareaders, then gets seriously upset about being told that there's problems with it. A fair number of them go and either rant at the critic, or ignore their advice. Worst case sceanario, I've literally seen people stop writing because they evidently didn't write the novel of the century.
I know of course, that not all authors are like that, but at least for me for a very long time, there was always this lurking fear in the back of my mind that something I write could make somebody want to stop.
This dread, matched with a lack of time, and later a lack of interest, quickly leads to no feedback for the poster. With no feedback, we start to feel like nobody's reading what we wrote, and that feeling leads to a disconnect between the regulars around here. And then in turn, the disconnect makes things seem less and less like a community, leaving less and less people wanting to communicate with each other.

Personally, I think that if we could increase the amount of reviews, and interaction, and decrease the amount of fear in reviewers, and those asking for them, then this place would become exponentially more active, and a bigger part of PC, as a whole.

Oh, and I don't know about everybody else, but I'm finicky as a ***** when it comes to how things are worded. I legit almost erased this post because I want to reword it. Again. Writing reviews becomes even harder when you write them five different times, afraid that you'll word something weird and send the wrong message.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Rococo said:
Personally, I think that if we could increase the amount of reviews, and interaction, and decrease the amount of fear in reviewers, and those asking for them, then this place would become exponentially more active, and a bigger part of PC, as a whole.
I'm afraid it won't be that easy. Especially with school going on, people just don't have the free time anymore. I personally have to read 100+ pages a night for college, so when I get some free time, reading isn't exactly high on my want to do list. If you look up at Astinus' first post, he addresses what you're talking about very well.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Yeah, I read it, and did mention the time constraints that several of us face. However, I think that it's just out of our reach to try to find time for other people to read, or write. Even still, you can give a man a pen, but can't force him to use it.
But by making the writing section feel warmer, then even the writing fatigued will be more willing and eagar to join in and be a part of it.

Maybe I really should have rewritten my previous post again, hah.

Knightfall

Unforeseen Consequences
Years
I try my best to read what I can. I will occasionally browse the fan fiction forums and see if there is anything new and interesting to read. I can gladly say that as of recently, I've put more effort into reading more stories (though unfortunately, leaving reviews of those stories has screeched to a halt due to time constraints).

So yes, I do read fan fiction from time to time and I'm glad that I do.

Knightfall signing off...

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Years
I usualy am focusing on school reading, but when I get the chance, I enjoy almost all fanfics of anything that relates to what ive read or seen.
I love fanfics and that people can be so involved in stories. Not to change them, but to give their side of the story.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
No I never did. I don't even like books.
Why don't you give some a try? I'm not a huge fan of books myself because school forces you to read so many of them it kind of sucks the fun out of reading them. I know we have some really great stories here and I would love it if you at least gave some of them a try.

Karinmo said:
I usualy am focusing on school reading, but when I get the chance, I enjoy almost all fanfics of anything that relates to what ive read or seen.
I love fanfics and that people can be so involved in stories. Not to change them, but to give their side of the story.
Same here, college has me reading a lot. I think the reason I like fanfics so much is because I really like the direction some people take the franchise. They develop it in ways I never thought of, which is pretty awesome.

icelovebunnies9

Ghastly Dragon
Years
I love fanfiction! But only romantic ones to satisfy my fangirl self. XD Sometimes fanfiction gets annoying because I never understand how some things come to be, or they get out of character. Which also makes it hard for me to write fanfiction where the characters have their exact personality.

I read fanfiction mostly because I'm bored and I have absolutely nothing better to do. It's a form of entertainment for me. ^^ I also think that writers should read other people's works. They should help other writers get better, while writers help them write well too. I would do that, even if I decided to write fanfiction.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I also think that writers should read other people's works. They should help other writers get better, while writers help them write well too. I would do that, even if I decided to write fanfiction.
Agreed here. Reading other stuff will nearly always teach or show you something. Even if it's a story with mistakes you can learn from it (e.g. what not to do). I'd say reading reviews also helps, or leastways it certainly was the case for me. I learnt a fair bit about writing just from reviews and discussions on forums like these. Take that high school creative writing - I learnt all that stuff from pokemon forums! :V (No, I'm not kidding there either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back