• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 21, 2019
So I was looking through my collection of cards from all the way back to base set and in the mix I found this old card that even back then threw me off when I opened it. So I don't believe it to be a fake¿ it is exactly the same size and feel of all my other cards as well. Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20190720_225425.jpg
    20190720_225425.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20190720_225443.jpg
    20190720_225443.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Years
So I was looking through my collection of cards from all the way back to base set and in the mix I found this old card that even back then threw me off when I opened it. So I don't believe it to be a fake¿ it is exactly the same size and feel of all my other cards as well. Any help is greatly appreciated

Trying to remember what that type of error is called so I can verify if it's supposed to be all yellow or not. I'm inclined to say it's not but like i said, can't remember the term to refer to them to confirm it.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 21, 2019
Ya what I've found they're not yellow I believe the ones I've seen were white... hmm so what do u think about it? Just wondering what others think.. does the back all look legit to you?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
I have one complete album with Pokémon Coins from the Netherlands. They are from Series 2 (2001). Unfortunately, they're in used condition, as well as the album itself.

My question: what is the value in euros??? Can anyone tell me?

rXnnt7Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ya what I've found they're not yellow I believe the ones I've seen were white... hmm so what do u think about it? Just wondering what others think.. does the back all look legit to you?

To me, the back looks legit. The colors aren't too uniform and seem true to an original. The tell-tale spots of a counterfeit aren't there, from my eye, and the edges don't look like they've been hand pulled from a sheet - Just some standard ware from sleeving and such. It could just be a printing error (like the white variant) where the yellow border was placed down first. Honestly, I'd need to do more research, but from the back of the image alone I feel it's legit.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Sorry for the double post I don't wanna keep notifying poor Getchy lol.

I have one complete album with Pokémon Coins from the Netherlands. They are from Series 2 (2001). Unfortunately, they're in used condition, as well as the album itself.

My question: what is the value in euros??? Can anyone tell me?

rXnnt7Z

Okay, these coins you have here are nothing like the Gen 2 coins I'm familiar with. Where did you obtain these coins? Did they come from starter boxes? They look more like Tazos Pogs to me and that's a market I'm completely foreign in.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Jul 29, 2019
This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance as I have a picture but don't know how to add it. The card in question is a Xerosic Full Art Trainer Card from XY Phantom Forces. It is collector number 119/119 and is an Ultra rare. The card isn't in the best shape. I got it from my son and he doesn't take the best care of his cards. It was pulled from a sealed pack out of a sealed tin he got for Christmas a couple years back. So I don't see how it could be a fake, so maybe a misprint? It appears the picture is larger than normal as the grey borders are much thinner than cards on the Internet appear. The corners also appear rounder than normal. The word trainer appears to have a weird dot in the ink of the text. And to top it off the pictures online appear to be foil and this one is not.

Years
This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance as I have a picture but don't know how to add it. The card in question is a Xerosic Full Art Trainer Card from XY Phantom Forces. It is collector number 119/119 and is an Ultra rare. The card isn't in the best shape. I got it from my son and he doesn't take the best care of his cards. It was pulled from a sealed pack out of a sealed tin he got for Christmas a couple years back. So I don't see how it could be a fake, so maybe a misprint? It appears the picture is larger than normal as the grey borders are much thinner than cards on the Internet appear. The corners also appear rounder than normal. The word trainer appears to have a weird dot in the ink of the text. And to top it off the pictures online appear to be foil and this one is not.

While uploading a picture as an attachment would be nice to confirm, I'm 99% certain you've got a counterfeit (some are made by printing a scan of the actual card onto something).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
I picked up a moderately played rainbow charizard from burning shadows the other day for 99usd after tax.

I don't play the game and only collect, and I recently learned this card will rotate out of standard soon.

What do you guys think its financial value would look like post rotation? I understand most cards tank in price since competitive demand is lost. But being the first rainbow charizard, I don't know how much of that demand is driven by the collectors.
Basically, I'm wondering if I should get rid of this while it's still hot and pick it up later after the price cools down. And that's if it does go down at all.

Years
I picked up a moderately played rainbow charizard from burning shadows the other day for 99usd after tax.

I don't play the game and only collect, and I recently learned this card will rotate out of standard soon.

What do you guys think its financial value would look like post rotation? I understand most cards tank in price since competitive demand is lost. But being the first rainbow charizard, I don't know how much of that demand is driven by the collectors.
Basically, I'm wondering if I should get rid of this while it's still hot and pick it up later after the price cools down. And that's if it does go down at all.

That particular Charizard has seen basically 0 play since it was released, so I don't know how much it'll actually drop in value. We haven't really had many secret rare Charizards. The secret rare from Plasma Storm still fetches $95 for market price on TCGPlayer. Moderately played ones are listed on TCGPlayer for significantly more than what you paid (like $40-$60 more).

Given Charizard is popular, your safest bet may be to hang onto it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 25, 2019
Oh that's good to know! I just assumed it was competitively viable. Thanks! I'll definitely hang on to it knowing that!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
The general rule of thumb is that if it has Charizard on it, it's going to be worth slightly more than any other counterpart, even in poorer condition. I mean, it's Charizard after all!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 18, 2020
I have an old album of Pokémon Coins from the Netherlands (Series 2, 2001). They're in used condition, just like the album itself. So now I have a question: How much is the average sell price in euros?

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hey Karen! I placed your images in spoiler tags because the pictures were rather big and stretched the page. They're still there if you open the spoiler though, so don't worry everyone can still see it! :)

On the topic of your coins, I gotta be honest, this section is mostly for the assessment, appraisal, and enjoyment of the trading card game (and very seldom other pokemon merch). I think you might have more luck searching in areas that specialize in the coins you collect because, to be perfectly honest, I don't know anything about your coins besides the fact that they look really cool. Wish we could be of more help.

Maybe another member more familiar with them can chime in, but I think your best bet is to look for communities that also collect those coins and asking there.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if someone could help me? I just opened an old box that had old pokemon stuff in it. Old VHS tapes, a watch, a Pikachu stapler, those gold cards from the first movie and a few of the rule books or whatever from I think the big packs of cards that always had a shiny card in it or something... But in the rule books I found a few cards that I don't remember ever seeing or owning and one of them I cant find on the internet at all, so I was wondering if anyone knows or has ever seen a Japanese version of Lt. Surges Pikachu that's holographic too?
I don't remember too much about pokemon anymore and definitely don't remember this card at all, but its the one where Pikachu is running at you and suns setting. it says LV. 10 HP40. I can find the card online. but nt one that's holographic. its also got a different back. It says Pocket Monsters card game. ohh and i also found something that looks like pogs with eevee and chansey that are black and silver too.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I was wondering if someone could help me? I just opened an old box that had old pokemon stuff in it. Old VHS tapes, a watch, a Pikachu stapler, those gold cards from the first movie and a few of the rule books or whatever from I think the big packs of cards that always had a shiny card in it or something... But in the rule books I found a few cards that I don't remember ever seeing or owning and one of them I cant find on the internet at all, so I was wondering if anyone knows or has ever seen a Japanese version of Lt. Surges Pikachu that's holographic too?
I don't remember too much about pokemon anymore and definitely don't remember this card at all, but its the one where Pikachu is running at you and suns setting. it says LV. 10 HP40. I can find the card online. but nt one that's holographic. its also got a different back. It says Pocket Monsters card game. ohh and i also found something that looks like pogs with eevee and chansey that are black and silver too.

What you most likely found was a theme deck box for Gym Challenges "Kuchiba City Gym" (since the card in question is in Japanese). Those would include those coins and tokens, which is what that Chansey coin is. Does it look like this? That's the first coin that was released for the TCG. Same with the Eevee coin, only that was released with Jungle iirc. You can sell 'em for like $2 nowadays.

I would like to see a picture of this Pikachu. Can you confirm if the numbers in the bottom right are 84/132? Neither the Japanese or English release of Gym Challenge include a promo or holo Pikachu, so visual evidence would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back