• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen So, is Lugia supposed to be catchable?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Without the master ball, that is.
My first playthrough of Crystal in quite some time, dont remember i had such trouble catching Lugia, maybe i used to masterball, i dont remember.

I prefer to save my master ball for one of the beasts, as i only get one chance to catch them, unless i have a mean look pokemon in front at the exact right moment.

And yes, Lugia is at minimum health, its also paralyzed. Im probably on my 400th ultra ball attempt by now, Lugia pretty much escapes at the first moment, not even a wiggle.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
It's possible yes. All things are catchable without a Master Ball.

It's just that when you have a catch rate of 3, it's still a pain in the ass to catch a Pokemon even when paralyzed+1HP. Heavy Balls and Fast Balls would be more effective than Ultra Balls in this case (which only double the catch rate), although they are harder to obtain in large numbers.

Sirfetch’d

Yeah seems you are just having bad luck. Last time I played Crystal, the one before my current journey, I had a similar issue with Lugia but was able to catch Suicune in 2 balls.

dannymusic

The Smiling Trombonist
Years
According to the catch rate calculator on Dragonflycave, a 1HP paralyzed Lugia has a 2.3% chance of being caught in an Ultra Ball. (But if it was asleep instead, it would be a 6.25% chance of being caught for each Ultra Ball.)

You're doing fine; hang in there.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Your luck just sucks. Nothing from the wild is uncatchable, except for the Ghost.

Is it bad luck with that many attempts though? Thank god im using save files and emulators, the pain of doing this on a gameboy....
I hope Ho-OH wont be the same bullshit, or maybe that pokemon too has an absolutely absurd low catch rate.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Is it bad luck with that many attempts though? Thank god im using save files and emulators, the pain of doing this on a gameboy....
I hope Ho-OH wont be the same bullshit, or maybe that pokemon too has an absolutely absurd low catch rate.

Yes it is. We've all been there so it's nothing new. I can't say Ho-Oh won't be shitting you though.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Well, i ran into Entei recently, good thing i still had the masterball, despite wasting so much time on Lugia.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
An (un)fun fact - paralyse does not help in GSC. Lugia is going to be just as hard without using something that induces Sleep, sadly.

It's supposed to work, but a bug/failing in the game code means it doesn't actually apply an improved catch rate when the pokemon is paralysed, burned or poisoned. Sleep or freeze (hah) are the only ones that work.
The S value is supposed to be 5 if the Pokémon is poisoned, burned or paralyzed, 10 if the Pokémon is asleep or frozen, and 0 if it has no status, but due to a bug (yes, this formula is astoundingly buggy), only sleep and freezing actually affect this value; the subsequent check that's supposed to be for poisoning, burning and paralysis always fails. So in fact, the S value is 10 if the Pokémon is asleep or frozen and 0 otherwise. Making a Pokémon poisoned, burned or paralyzed does not improve your chances of catching it at all.
https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/gen-ii-capturing

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Yes it is, i only used masterball to catch the legendary dog-cat

Back