• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

GoGo's MEGA-HUGE Sappy Tutorial

Did This Tutorial Help You At All?

• Yes

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I Didn't Read It Yet

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters

ipatix

Sound Expert
Years
Yeah as already mentioned aboveI used this tool to get the DLS file (Soundfont) of DPPt.
Then I used Viena SoundFont Editor (not Vienna) to extract the contents of the Soundfont to .wav files. 2 years ago I used Audacity and a hexeditor to insert those samples but now you can simply use the method mentioned in the utotrial to insert those samples.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Does anyone know why modulations distort a midi track? Is there a way to fix it without having to delete the modulation?

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Okay, you lost me at step five. I don't understand... How do I know what instruments I need to load up in Wavosaur? Where do I get these instruments?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Well if you inserted the song earlier and all you heard in vba was BEEPS then that means you need the game to load instruments. So in sappy check which track is playing the "square" instrument. Take that as your instrument you need to download somewhere and open in wavosaur or whatever program.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Make sure that you remind people to place MPlayDef.s in the same folder as the piece that is to be assembled.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 15, 2019
wow Im going to have to try this when I finish exams. most other music tutorials are pretty obsolete

GoGoJJTech

Years
The tutorial has been updated as of today! 7/3/13

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
Having trouble with an error whenever I'm trying to assemble music.

Error #5009: "Town_grp' is undefined"
On line: "3 .equ Nomnom Town_grp, voicegroup000".

Wobbu

Years
Having trouble with an error whenever I'm trying to assemble music.

Error #5009: "Town_grp' is undefined"
On line: "3 .equ Nomnom Town_grp, voicegroup000".

You can't have spaces in the titles of your midis. Change the midi's name to NomnomTown (or whatever you want) and make a new .s file from it. That .s file should work fine.

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
You can't have spaces in the titles of your midis. Change the midi's name to NomnomTown (or whatever you want) and make a new .s file from it. That .s file should work fine.

Hmph, cannot see, for the life of me, how I missed that.

Thanks.

GoGoJJTech

Years
No underscores, hyphens, slashes, spaces, or numbers. Pretty much only letters.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
I'm having some issues with Sappy.

First, I've tried assembling some songs and got the error message 1004 expected ';' on line 3.

Second, when I did manage to assemble some songs, which were inserted over old ones, they were completely silent and seemed to freeze the game when the map was entered using a warp.

I don't know how to fix these problems. Any ideas?

GoGoJJTech

Years
You have not repointed to free space, you just clicked insert. That corrupts other data you need. The error 1004 is to not have a character labeled " ; " in the file name. or you just need to put it back in mid2agb.exe

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Ah. I get it. So repointing is absolutely necessary, even when replacing.

Also, I didn't have a ; in the song's title, or on line 3 in the file when opened in notepad, so maybe it should have been? I dunno. I'll give that a shot next time error 1004 pops up.

Well, thanks alot! :)

GoGoJJTech

Years
You should never EVER overwrite data. Just repoint to be safe, since you don't know what goes on in half of the ROM

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Nice tut. It's really cool to see how much music hacking has advanced back since when I used to do it - back then sappy 2005 was a seriously buggy and limited program and I had to do everything (besides the actual compiling) in hex. I don't rom hack anymore but I'm curious about the extent of your method. Does it include the ability to change instruments on the go, or volume or things like that?

Just as a note to people inserting music in general - it's always a good idea to have a way to keep track of the pointers to your tracks, headers and instrument kits. That way you can update stuff as you please. Gives you a lot of versatility.

Wobbu

Years
However, I should point out that HG/SS have incorrect loop points, so you need to look at the wave itself and determine. You can do that by double-clicking the instrument on the left.

What do you mean by this? HG/SS's loop points are spot-on when I view them, despite the rare instruments that don't have a loop end parameter.

Back