• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on remakes?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
As you know, a lot of games recently are remade. With the newest remake to be announced being Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. I think it's good to have remakes of games, but you might have your own opinions on them.

What are your views on game remakes?

As I said before, I think it's a good idea to remake those games which people really loved for newer consoles. The way I feel though, is that only certain games can be remade. You can remake a Zelda Game, or Starfox, but you can't really remake a game like Call of Duty for something else.

Years
You can remake a Zelda Game, or Starfox, but you can't really remake a game like Call of Duty for something else.

Multiplayer games are normally hard to re-create as the same elements will just normally be included, but there are exceptions to every rule, GoldenEye for example.

I don't really mind remakes, but it is a strange one. It, obviously, has to do with if I like the game or not. I do think at times that I would like to see some of my older games re-created and re-mastered, but then I feel like it would lose the special charm that the game has.

In other words, I don't mind re-makes, but you can't beat the original that you loved.​

Years
I lvoe remakes normally, but it depends on hte game, I don't think modern games should be remade, they jsut don'[t need to be becaus they get better naturally with the next one i nthe series

However older games I always like the remakes because it is essentially the same great game only with major graphical improvemements which is somehting I look for in a re-make

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I greatly welcome remakes if I never played the original version, like Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. I also like remakes because of the improved graphics.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
It'd depend on the game...

I personally think HeartGold & SoulSilver are superior to Gold & Silver,

& remakes of fighting games always seem to be better...

More playable characters, maybe more stages & just more stuff.

I yet to play a remake I didn't like.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I like the occasional remake but some games such as Final Fantasy IV has been remade so many times I jsut won't ever pick it up again. Some games that have had remakes have been good for me like Chrono trigger on DS without that I would never have been able to play such an amazing game.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I guess it would depend on how said remake was done. If it was made just right, with the right balance of original and newer elements it would be a piece of art. If it fails to achieve that... Well, you have a disaster. :D
To each and every one of us that balance of new and old is different. As long as you make the game so that it at least encompasses the majority of that opinion, then you're good. Sometimes, though, they fail... :( That makes me sad when it's a game I happen to like. Sometimes furious... mostly sad. :(

But sometimes the remakes are necessary. Sometimes the game is so old or is a console exclusive that not many people can obtain. A sucessful remake gives a new generation the chance to relish an older classic. Of course... well we all know and disdain the ones that flop. :D

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Multiplayer games are normally hard to re-create as the same elements will just normally be included, but there are exceptions to every rule, GoldenEye for example.

I don't really mind remakes, but it is a strange one. It, obviously, has to do with if I like the game or not. I do think at times that I would like to see some of my older games re-created and re-mastered, but then I feel like it would lose the special charm that the game has.

In other words, I don't mind re-makes, but you can't beat the original that you loved.​
GoldenEye on Wii, although terrific, is more a reimagining (and milking) of the license than a remake. The multiplayer really was more like CoD than GoldenEye N64

I'm fine with facelift remakes. Haven't really played any, aside from GoldenEye (which again, isn't really a remake) that go all out. I've play LeafGreen, Metroid: Zero Mission, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario 64 DS, and I will play Ocarina of Time 3D. These gave me what I love (or in MZM's case introduced me to something new, I never played a non-Prime Metroid title), filled me nostalgia, but modernized the graphics and game play just enough that it didn't tranish the original or neglect it. It embraced what I liked, and made it new enough that it was still fresh.

I didn't really like HeartGold. It felt too different. It didn't feel like a love letter to that Generation of Pokemon games, like LeafGreen did. It felt more like a level pack for Gen IV, which I didn't like all that much

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
It depends we executed remakes are quite good and i usually just as or even more enjoyable than the originals but with me it is not universal thing. It depends on a few things like i said execution is it important. Another thing is the differences between the new one and the original so in the end it all depends on the game.

Years
Depends on how much they've changed from the original game: Updated graphics and additional story at the end: Sure
Additional characters, stages, music: Why not
Massive changes to storyline: NO

Years
On the most part, I tend to like remakes I play, sometimes even more than the original.

I just wish more games were remade (Legend of Dragoon).

Also, the new OoT remake for 3DS looks amazing.

Last edited:

Barney.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 30, 2015
I'm all for it. Especially when it's a remake of a game that is hard for most people to obtain otherwise, like Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for example, as the original (Fire Emblem for the Famicom) was only ever released in Japan, therefore making it very hard for western audiences to get a copy, let alone play a copy.

But also, I love remakes purely for my nostalgia, also it gives the creators a chance to right past wrongs with the original game (The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time for example is apparently getting completely revamped for the 3DS remake).

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
Years
I like most remakes, but I guess it really does just depend on the game and how they do it. I didn't really care that much for Super Mario 64 DS, but Heartgold and the remake for Resident Evil 1 are probably my favorite remakes out there.

Drekin

We all live in a...
Years
Remakes are fine to me. If I liked the original I'll probably like the remake even more. I REALLY want Metal Gear Solid 1-3 with graphics similar to MGS4.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
I like remakes of old games with new graphics and such, pretty much remade from the ground up but has the same story. Like I'd love a Final Fantasy VII or a Final Fantasy X remake. But if the remake is the same game, just polished a little and is just pretty much the exact same as the original then no... I'm not fond of them.

Ces soirees-la

Hello, Hello
Years
I feel remakes make me love the origional game, and I always end up going to play it.
E.g: New Super Mario Bros. = Me playing all the old side scrolling Mario games.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Well, obviously, everyone here should adore remakes - we play the exact same game every generation! [/rimshot...fizzles] (It's like they're remakes and Updated Rereleases simultaneously! >_>)

As you know, a lot of games recently are remade. With the newest remake to be announced being Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS. I think it's good to have remakes of games, but you might have your own opinions on them.

What are your views on game remakes?

As I said before, I think it's a good idea to remake those games which people really loved for newer consoles. The way I feel though, is that only certain games can be remade. You can remake a Zelda Game, or Starfox, but you can't really remake a game like Call of Duty for something else.

Sigh...OK, remakes are usually great works to be enjoyed. Typically, they are released in commemoration of a game's anniversary, whether it be 10th, 25th, 50th, 100th, etc. I can accept that. However, it gets to be slightly annoying when remakes are spawned like there is no tomorrow. Final Fantasy 1 is the prime example. What is it, nearly seven different versions of the thing? Actually, I'm glad it did get remade in Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, or otherwise I might have never gotten to play it. The PSP version does look purty...but I think it should be a while before the original Final Fantasy 1 is touched again. It's been rereleased, remade, and ported enough times as of now. -.- Actually, this may just be due to Square Enix's "remake" tendency...

In any case, remakes can be good in that newer generations can experience older games that they might otherwise never have a chance to play. Along with Dawn of Souls, Pokemon FireRed Version has let me experience Kanto, and hopefully I can traverse Johto via Pokemon HeartGold Version. The upcoming Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS will also achieve a similar thing for me by permitting me to access Hyrule in its Ocarina of Time state.

However, I kind of have a slight issue with "remake ports"...Super Mario 64 DS, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS, and StarFox 64 3DS best match this description. They are full-fledged handheld remakes of console games. Personally, I think that SM64DS should have been either a Gamecube or a Wii game, with LoZOoT3DS and SF643DS being either Wii games or Project Cafe games. It just seems to be fitting and more experience-enhancing for them to be played on consoles, as they were originally console-ish experiences...

Especially concerning Ocarina of Time - after having played Twilight Princess on the Wii with motion controls, it's going to be quite weird returning to analog controls setup, especially concerning a game that was originally a console release and could possibly benefit from the same motion controls. I guess it's just me, though. :/ I'm glad that Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 are getting remade on some platform, at least. And an Ocarina of Time Wii would possibly interfere with Skyward Sword's debut, anyway...

Sigh...anyway, I enjoyed The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past and Final Fantasy 1 as GBA handheld experiences, yet those were originally released as console games, so I guess I can't nitpick too much.

And yeah, a Call of Duty remake would just seem weird. :x

I greatly welcome remakes if I never played the original version, like Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. I also like remakes because of the improved graphics.

But sometimes the remakes are necessary. Sometimes the game is so old or is a console exclusive that not many people can obtain. A sucessful remake gives a new generation the chance to relish an older classic. Of course... well we all know and disdain the ones that flop. :D

I'm all for it. Especially when it's a remake of a game that is hard for most people to obtain otherwise, like Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for example, as the original (Fire Emblem for the Famicom) was only ever released in Japan, therefore making it very hard for western audiences to get a copy, let alone play a copy.

All three of these quotes essentially reiterate the postive point of how remakes can grant a treasured gaming experience to a new generation of players. :)

But also, I love remakes purely for my nostalgia, also it gives the creators a chance to right past wrongs with the original game (The Water Temple in Ocarina of Time for example is apparently getting completely revamped for the 3DS remake).

That's another good point, too - removal of Scrappy Mechanic-ish things in remakes can also rectify the flaws of the original game.

I like remakes of old games with new graphics and such, pretty much remade from the ground up but has the same story. Like I'd love a Final Fantasy VII or a Final Fantasy X remake. But if the remake is the same game, just polished a little and is just pretty much the exact same as the original then no... I'm not fond of them.

I'm confused...so do you like or dislike the Pokemon games? :cer_confused: XD Because they could technically fall under both of those possibilities - new storylines with each generation to constitute a new series of games, but if you want to get really technical, they're just dolled-up rereleases of Red and Blue Versions that just keep on getting prettier and prettier, as much as I hate to say it (actually, several Nintendo games could fit that).

About the Pokemon remakes...while I'm grateful for the release of FireRed (and LeafGreen) that enabled me to journey through the Kanto region, there is almost freaking nothing to do in them post-game! Aside from monotonously training Pokemon to Level 100, you have the relatively short Sevii Island sidequest, the Trainer Tower, and...that's pretty much it. Compared to the FRLG "pseudo-predecessors", Ruby and Sapphire Versions, which had the Training, Battle Tower, Contests, Berry Watering, PokeBlock-making, and Mixing Records (EDIT: AND the Trick House). OK, I may be embellishing RS a bit, but the Contests definitely made it so there was more to do! And Emerald just blows FireRed out of the water.

As for HeartGold (and SoulSilver) Versions...they:

• retain and enhance essentially everything GS originally had, while managing to restore Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave,
  • shoehorn in the Crystal Suicune sidequest as a small "tribute" to Crystal,
  • add the Pokeathlon,
  • add a Johto Safari Zone,
  • add the GB Sounds,
  • port over the Sinnoh Battle Frontier (that was a bit of a detractor, but I'd rather have a clone Battle Frontier than a mundane singular Battle Tower facility)
  • reintroduce the long-forgotten Follow-Me feature of Yellow Version,
  • add the capability of Gym Leader rematches
  • add the rare Shiny Leaves that can be pieced together to form a Crown
  • add the PokeWalker that, unlike FRLG's bundled Wireless Adapter, isn't necessarily multiplayer-dependent,
  • improve Pokemon breeding with the stat-enhancer items, and
  • insert more Legendary Pokemon (I'm half-and-half on this - it's nice that we have stationary Birds, Mewtwo, and RS mascot legends to use in conjunction with Synchronize's Overworld effect, but isn't it a tad excessive to have legends from all four generations in one game?).
I mean, my GOSH. FireRed just seems like...like a wisp or something after HGSS came out. It's like the only thing that could make HGSS more awesome is if they included the Super Contests from DPPt (I'm betting that there was/is still space left on those cartridges despite all of the content that was jam-packed in). I've been able to have nearly endless replayability in Emerald, but HG is quite poised to snag the title of being "best Pokemon game ever"; I've already felt that BW fall short of expectations, and Gray and RS3DS are presumably still in the works and cannot be judged just yet. Considering that Contest Conditions, Berries, Mixing Records, and the Game Corner have been tampered with a lot in Generation 5, I'm a bit worried about whether RS3DS can surpass HGSS (which logically, they should be able to if everything goes according to keikaku). If RS3DS is just going to end up being shoddy 3DS Ruby/Sapphire ports, I'd rather not see the Hoenn region disgraced in such a manner.

I'm a bit worried at how far "Pokemon remaking" is going to go, following the likely release of RS3DS. The only games that were essentially necessary as remakes were FireRed and LeafGreen. HeartGold and SoulSilver were technically "for kicks", as all Johto Pokemon were available somehow throughout all of the Generation 3 games - however, HGSS did make obtaining certain Johto Pokemon much easier. RS3DS are even less necessary than HGSS were, but of course, I firmly believe that they will be made as tributes to Ruby/Sapphire, with an anniversary commemoration likely.

After RS3DS, I think it should be a long time before any Pokemon games are remade again - something like the 25th anniversary of Red and Blue. But even then, it just wouldn't be right for Pokemon to remake a game for each and every Generation... Otherwise, it's going to get as annoying as the Final Fantasy 1 situation...WE CAN ONLY TRAVEL THROUGH KANTO SO MANY TIMES! (and there's hardly anything to do there, anyways...I mean, we needed the Sevii Isles just for Trainer Tower to be positioned somewhere! Without that tower which is limited in itself, exactly what are you supposed to do after you complete training?)
And also, what else can you add to DP and Platinum? Sinnoh is in 3D; the sprites are decent; it supports online play...not much that can be done other than slight storyline tweaks and possibly adding the 3DS's 3D effect, which is hardly enough to warrant a remake...

Additionally, I feel that only games prior to the Nintendo Gamecube, PlayStation 2, and the XBox should be remade...everything else afterwards just seems too recent/modern, and most remakes tend to focus on either Graphics or Retcons these days...

Tl;dr - remakes can be good for reliving experiences, but too much of a good thing can be bad (remake oversaturation). Remakes should only be made for warranted reasons (typically graphics upgrades) and only if they can do justice to the original game via its own merit (never mind what the adamant Nostalgia Filter people say). I hope RS3DS turns out to be great, and I honestly don't know what Pokemon's remake future is after that. >_>

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
@fenyx4- Wow. big post, all of it pretty well reasoned out. The links to TV Tropes were nice as well. Have a cookie.

In short, I think that remakes are good for particularly well-loved games that are very much obsolete at this point. FFVII is a good example. They should be faithful to the original and evoke the original game (I got that feeling walking through Ilex Forest in HGSS), and in the case of RPGs or linear games- only add new material, tie-ins for past sequels or what have you- beyond the limits of the original material. That is, after the end or on the side. Improvements to features introduced in the original is okay by me.

Incidentally, I'd enjoy a good remake of Ruby/Sapphire. :P

Back