• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that surprised you when you first saw it

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
Breloom...
My Shroomish went from a weird mushroom thing to a death machine..!

Also, Hydregion, that thing looked out of this world when I fought Ghetsis.
And the fact that it knew both Surf and Flamethrower made me admire it.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Not necessarily in-game but the new Kyurem forms, lol.. not so much surprised rather than astonished?? as to how far they are taking it.

Years
When I was 6, the first time I saw Tauros in the Safari Zone. It had such an empowering sprite.

TheStormPilot

I have no idea.
Years
Tympole. When I ran into that little thing I drowned in the cuteness, and when that little thing evolved into the final form, I was amazed at how it went to a little Tympole to basically the best Pokemon in my team.

Years
Garbodor. As soon as I saw it I was like, "Really...? REALLY?" I was honestly surprised/disappointed that they made a garbage bag Pokemon. That and Sigilyph. I have no idea what's going on with that thing...

Volcoronawing649

New Recruit
Years
Rodeo, sure Trubbish and Garbodor are unimaginitive, but so are Muk, Lickitung, Dugtrio, etc. bottom line Is Pokemon designers have always been lazy with some designs, even in the first generation. _________________________________________________________________________ Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too.....

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Rodeo, sure Trubbish and Garbodor are unimaginitive, but so are Muk, Lickitung, Dugtrio, etc. bottom line Is Pokemon designers have always been lazy with some designs, even in the first generation. And pokemonranger109 There is no such thing as "food attack", take a look at his move set in bulbapedia _________________________________________________________________________ Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too.....

Don't get too off-topic, there's a discussion on Unova-based Pokemon in the Black/White section if you'd like to talk about Trubbish/Garbodor. Besides, he was joking when he talked about Trubbish having a food attack (although to be fair he does learn 'swallow' which is kinda food-like).

The first time I saw Magneton was in Pokemon Snap, which made me get shocked by it because to create a Magneton you just herd 3 Magnemite together and they connect. I was awed by the idea that you could make a Magneton like that, haha.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Samurott really surprised me because it barely had any resemblance to Dewott at all. I was also surprised by Remoraid and Octillery when I first saw them next to each other in the Stadium 2 guidebook because I didn't see how they were related until a couple years later.

Joshawott

Banned
Years
I was really surprised the first time I seen Magnezone. For some weird reason, I found it hard to belief an evolution for Magneton was made. Oddly enough, I didn't feel this way about any of the other new evolutions of first generation Pokémon.

Back