• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3DS or 3DS XL??

Which one ? 3DS or 3Ds XL?

• 3DS

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • 3DS XL

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'll probably get a 3DS XL because it looks pretty big. I was originally thinking of getting a regular-sized 3DS because I saw that it's a lot cheaper, but the 3DS XL dropped to $150 at GameStop. So, right now I'm reconsidering getting the XL instead. Plus, reading the pros about it makes me kinda want it more. xD

What?! I just got mine a week ago and it was $199.

...oh, still shows $199 here: http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3DS+XL

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
3ds xl worth it?

Is it?For those of you who have one is it sturdy?Does the hing crings?Do games look nice?Is the joystick sturdy?Are the online communities of the games good?
I really want one for Pokemon X/Y,Mirror of fate,Project X Zone,FE:Awakaning and many more current and upcoming games.But is it worth my 210 euros?

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
If you have the money to spare then yes. It's a great handheld and it has many solid games out for it. If you can wait longer, then there's always a possibility that there will be a 3DS Pokemon bundle whenever the new games come out.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
If you have the money to spare then yes. It's a great handheld and it has many solid games out for it. If you can wait longer, then there's always a possibility that there will be a 3DS Pokemon bundle whenever the new games come out.

I am mostly hoping for a mirror of fate bundle.I think that if that pokemon bundle comes out it will have the game installed in the sd card but i would prefer having a physical copy of it.

Years
Definitely the XL. Bought both on release day, love the XL so much more.
I was worried about it not fitting into my pockets to carry, but it's fine. Even fits in jeans with no worries.
The larger screens are soooo much more worth it.

Years
The big thing for me was the price point and portability, but after trying both the original and XL in store, I jumped when the XL went on sale. I was worried it would be too big to fit in my pockets, but either I've got really big pockets, or the console isn't quite as big as I thought.

I also love how long the battery life seems to be on this thing. After it's first initial charge, I don't think that I had to plug it in for almost a week, and I must've used it for at least an hour every day.

Brizz

TM87
Years
I own the LoZ edition Nintendo 3DS and I think it's perfect for me. One of my friends has the 3DS XL and I must say the thing is massive! I like being able to put my 3DS in my pocket if I need to and I don't think the XL would fit haha!

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
So far I'm leaning more towards the XL now. The only real problem I heard is of it's size. From what UI've read, if you have small hands the XL won't fit well in your hands. I pretty much have the average hands for a male my age., though they seem a bit smaller. However I've had a original DS phat for years and that's about the same size as the XL and it fits rather comfortably. Also people said the XL doesn't fit in their pocket well. I'm sure my DS fits in most my pant's pocket and most of my pants have relatively big pockets. So I'm sure if the original DS can fit in there I think an XL can fit. So I'm mostly going for an XL now after looking at the results so far.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Why would you want the XL? It's about twice the size of a normal 3DS and it's got basically the same hardware. I don't feel like the XL is a good purchase in that it's more expensive and you get the same stuff.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Why would you want the XL? It's about twice the size of a normal 3DS and it's got basically the same hardware. I don't feel like the XL is a good purchase in that it's more expensive and you get the same stuff.

Actually they have a lot of difference in the XL.

1. The buttons and pad are bigger and more solid.
2. The start, select & home button was redesigned.
3. The XL got better anti-reflecting coating.
4. bigger screen for better display
5. Last but not least, longer battery life. The 3DS could go for 8 hours max but the 3DS can go for 10 hours max.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I dunno, the 3DS compared to the 3DSXL is far better looking. If AW has small hands, I would suggest the 3DS, even as some with pretty big hands. The only downside for the 3DS is the buttons, but the start/select/home area is much better on it, as the buttons on the XL are too spongy and a bit awkward. The screen size is fine, and the pixelation on it isn't too bad if you hold the console from a distance, but the PPI does lose some clarity. In the long run however, it entirely depends on how much time its going to be as a DS player as well. You gonna give it lots of DS time? Go for the XL, the 1:1 mode on it is phenomenal. Gonna give it some time, and don't mind a blurry screen?(cause honestly 1:1 on the 3DS is the smallest pain in the ass I've ever witnessed, and this is coming from someone who plays his PS2 on 4:3 mode on a 42 inch LED) Then you might go for the 3DS. In the end the choice is yours, but as I said I personally see the 3DS as the prettier of the two. The glass casing on the top part is infinitely then the cheap plastic mold of the XL, and the 3 layer design is actually pretty awesome if you own the white or red model. The console feels much more solid, and I absolutely loathe the left sided dock for the headphones on the XL, the perfectly aligned 3DS is sublime.

Princess Sandshrew

PokéRespect
Years
I own both an original 3DS and an XL
I use the XL mostly, but the original is nicer to carry around imo because of the smaller size.
The XL is better all round performance wise.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I have a normal 3ds.
And I've already tried the XL.
But unfortunately.... It didn't affect my gameplay at all.
I don't know why people enjoy that even more.
To be honest, it's just a waste of money.
It was my friend's XL btw.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
To be honest, I'm going to be leaning more towards the XL, despite me having a regular 3Ds.

For one thing, of course, Nintendo had decided to increase the thickness and size of the A, B, X, and Y buttons as well as the Circle Pad. What does that mean? Well, honestly, for me, that would mean that it'll be way easier to use than the 3D's version. Typically, larger buttons means you can be less accurate and still press them easily. With the Circle Pad it should be nicer to use for larger thumbs and the thickness is sure to make all the buttons feel of a higher quality. The same design change has been applied to the L and R buttons, making them bigger and thicker.

Well, of course, maybe you need to try a demo one at a store before making a final decision. Again, I've got the first 3Ds, and to me it's pretty portable, where you can easily fit it in your pocket. Since you don't have one, it depends on what you prefer, in my opinion 3Ds XL looks better, but, no matter how many ways I look at it, the 3DS had always pull of it's standard qualities. The 3DS is still awesome, so, you can perfectly lean to that if you want a cheaper game system, but, for more "quality", I'd say the XL.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I have the 3DS XL and i'm completely satisfied with it. i've never used a "normal" 3DS, so i can't really compare, but the XL definitely has a biggers screen, which is a plus!

Back