• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7 Taskbar (two things; the first is more important)

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
1: Say I have a program with multiple windows currently open. Each window will have its own button on the taskbar, at least with the way I've configured it. What I want to do is move one of these buttons to a different position on the taskbar. How can I do that? Simply dragging one will move them all as a group. Keys like Ctrl and Alt don't seem to do anything.

2: Something I miss from older versions of Windows is the ability to right click on one of these taskbar buttons and be given an option to minimise/maximise the program. This appears to be absent in Windows 7; I'm only given 'close window'. Admittedly this feature was only useful in XP due to how the taskbar sometimes glitched out of focus or something, but still is there any way to re-add this?

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
#1: I don't think that there is a solution to this. Looking around on sevenforums I could not find any fix to that issue, unfortunately...

#2: You can do this by holding Shift and then right-click. This brings up the classic menu that you are used to from XP

EDIT: It seems that you should be able to fix #1 by using a third party tool, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. This tool is shown in a demo video to do exactly what you want it to do, but unfortunately I could not get it to work on my Windows 8.1 computer. I can try it out for you on a Windows 7 machine once I get home ;)

Last edited:

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
EDIT: It seems that you should be able to fix #1 by using a third party tool, 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. This tool is shown in a demo video to do exactly what you want it to do, but unfortunately I could not get it to work on my Windows 8.1 computer. I can try it out for you on a Windows 7 machine once I get home ;)

Thank you, so much, for posting that. Wish I had that from the start. I went searching for Vista's version of Paint and Wordpad, I should have looked for that, too, lol.

It totally works for me. Firefox has four separate windows now and they're not stuck together anymore, I can freely move them. :)

Edit; as a bonus, it let me set pinned programs to double-click to open. I don't know if that was a thing before, but I couldn't find it if it was. That's a nice addition, since they're right next to the start button.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
That's a great utility, resolves both matters and then some; I can't thank you enough.

There is one other thing I've remembered that bothers me: I want Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager straight away instead of the menu with the other options I never use.

EDIT: One more: any way to disable Ctrl+mousewheel on deskstop? I keep changing icon size unintentionally and it screws everything up.

Last edited:

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
There is one other thing I've remembered that bothers me: I want Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager straight away instead of the menu with the other options I never use.

EDIT: One more: any way to disable Ctrl+mousewheel on deskstop? I keep changing icon size unintentionally and it screws everything up.

In order to open up Task Manager, you just have to use Ctrl+Shift+Esc instead :)

As for the icons, from a quick search on the web I am unable to find a way to disable that. The only partial solution I have seen is to always have an AutoHotkey script running that blocks all Ctrl+mousewheel, but that is not really a viable solution in my opinion as it disables the key combination in all programs and also keeps a script running all the time. It might be a solution if you are really troubled by it, but if it is just a minor inconvenience, I would just let it stay as it is.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
In order to open up Task Manager, you just have to use Ctrl+Shift+Esc instead :)

As for the icons, from a quick search on the web I am unable to find a way to disable that. The only partial solution I have seen is to always have an AutoHotkey script running that blocks all Ctrl+mousewheel, but that is not really a viable solution in my opinion as it disables the key combination in all programs and also keeps a script running all the time. It might be a solution if you are really troubled by it, but if it is just a minor inconvenience, I would just let it stay as it is.
Well that's certainly a bit annoying to press...

Guess it's not worth the trouble of learning how AHK works just for this one thing... unless someone has already written that script?

Back