• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Ahh cool thanks a bunch man, yeh luckily I do still have my DS Lite with the GBA slot and a copy of Soul Silver, so I think I just need to finish fighting Red and I'll be able to transfer them, cheers for taking your time to answer my question!

Actually, you don't have to beat Red to transfer Pokemon from a 3rd Gen game. You can do it just after getting the National Dex in HG/SS (or D/P/Pt, if you see all Sinnoh Dex Pokemon). Just further clarifying this.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2013
Good emerald team

I have ordered a copy of Pokemon emerald, and I was wondering what you guys think which starter would be the best, and team. If you want to suggest a team for me (:D). Please tell me the Pokemon movesets too.

I want to use Salamence, gardevoir, and maybe mudkip (but if any starter is better tell me please!)
Also make sure all the HM's are included in the movesets

Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2013
The best starter is mudkip because of it's stats and with its typing grass is its only weak point.

xGal

Mhm
Years
I would definitely go with Mudkip because of ground as it's second type. The rest of the team would be Metagross, Flygon, Salamence, Heracross and Starmie.

Years
I have ordered a copy of Pokemon emerald, and I was wondering what you guys think which starter would be the best, and team. If you want to suggest a team for me (:D). Please tell me the Pokemon movesets too.

I want to use Salamence, gardevoir, and maybe mudkip (but if any starter is better tell me please!)
Also make sure all the HM's are included in the movesets

Thanks!
You don't need a copy to play Emerald you know but ah well I suggest you choose Mudkip as your starter then in the future have this team : Swampart, Manectric, Salamence, Metagross, Aggron and Shiftry

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Buying the games on ebay/amazon? (Any insights?)

I was wondering if anybody had any insight on buying these games on ebay? (or amazon)

I made the mistake of buying Leaf Green and Emerald from ebay before and they turned out to be fake copies. (The stickers weren't metallic and they were harder to fit into my ds than my own gba cartridges)

It's been a while since I learnt that lesson and I'm not completely put off....but I don't want to rush into it this time.

Is there anything I could do to increase my chances of getting a legitimate copy?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There is a guide on fake games in the FAQ in this section. It should be the latest post in there, so just scroll all the way to the bottom. To increase your chances of getting a real copy...honestly, you should check your area for local game stores. They check to make sure games are real and whether or not they work, so yeah.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Does the Repel trick work in the Safari Zone? Example: I want to find Stantler in Emerald. It appears 5% of the time in Area 5 at levels 36-39. If I put a level 39 pokemon at the front of my party and use a repel, will there be any higher of a chance of finding Stantler?

tnfsf11

Does the Repel trick work in the Safari Zone? Example: I want to find Stantler in Emerald. It appears 5% of the time in Area 5 at levels 36-39. If I put a level 39 pokemon at the front of my party and use a repel, will there be any higher of a chance of finding Stantler?
I searched Google & that's what I found:
Using Repels - Using a level 26 pokemon with repels will not let you encounter Chansey per se, but it will let you avoid a bunch of pokemon in-between. It's a good time saver, if you don't want to spend the time running away from pokemon, but you won't catch Chansey any faster step-wise.
So it's better to just stand in a spot & spin around yourself to avoid wasting steps (you consume your "time" in the Safari Zone by walking) until you find a Stantler, then:
For rare pokemon in the Safari Zone, the best strategy is to use 1 Bait and then throw a lot of balls. If the Pokemon stops eating and is watching carefully, throw 1 more bait then keep throwing balls. If you have 1-3 balls left, you should just throw balls without bait.

Now my questions:

1. I want a wall/tank Pokemon in Emerald that can learn "trolling" moves like Toxic/Spore/Will-O-Wisp/Curse (ghost only) + Fire Spin/Whirlpool/Bind + a Recovery move if possible.

2. Also my Gardevoir has the following moveset:
Psychic
Future Sight
Calm Mind
Double Team

& I want her to learn the Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo, so I'll let her forget 2 moves including Future Sight, should the other move be Calm Mind or Double Team???
Thanks in advance to whoever will help me. :)

Last edited:

tnfsf11

1. Dusclops can learn Will-O-Wisp and Curse if memory serves me correctly.
2. Get rid of Double Team. It isn't really doing a whole lot for you, having Calm Mind to boost your stats up will really help with Psychic and Dream Eater, you'll also be stronger with that Sp.Def boost, helping you survive dangerous moves like Shadow Ball. It's a practical advantage to use when the enemy is asleep whilst Double Team is playing lucky. That's my opinion, anyway.
Thanks a lot :) I've been thinking I should ditch Double Team myself, & Duskull does learn these moves ^^.
But now since it's not an attacker which 2 other moves should it learn? Is Toxic & Rest a good combo? I have a Blue Flute btw.

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
1st Non-starter Team Mate

Looking back I know my first Pokemon was the Pikachu starter from Pokemon Yellow and was the first wild Pokemon I got in Pokemon Red. Looking at Generation 3 I seem to remember Mudkip as my starter not was the first team member I got after that. I hope by asking this question of "what is your first non-starter team member?", I'll be able to decide what my next team member in my current run of the Generation 3 games.

emerald_maindetail.jpg

Years
I usually end up with a Zigzagoon... Only because it's ability is so useful and it learns heaps of HMs... But the first one I really use is either Shroomish or Wingull... They are easy to find and fairly good in battle. Plus the type combos come in handy. Especially if you choose Torchic as your starter :)

Years
Protect is a must for a Dusclops. Luckly it's easy to find, since you can buy it in Lilycove, iirc.

Pain Split can be a better move if you know how to use it, I myself have never learn >< You can try Confuse Ray too, as it's a status that doesn't intefere poison/burn.

Also, Toxic kills faster than Burn and has a better acc than Will-o-Whisp, so I'd choose it over burning.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
1. Dusclops can learn Will-O-Wisp and Curse if memory serves me correctly.
2. Get rid of Double Team. It isn't really doing a whole lot for you, having Calm Mind to boost your stats up will really help with Psychic and Dream Eater, you'll also be stronger with that Sp.Def boost, helping you survive dangerous moves like Shadow Ball. It's a practical advantage to use when the enemy is asleep whilst Double Team is playing lucky. That's my opinion, anyway.

jsyk, Shadow Ball is physical in 3rd Gen so using Calm Mind to raise your special defense against it is futile.

Thanks a lot :) I've been thinking I should ditch Double Team myself, & Duskull does learn these moves ^^.
But now since it's not an attacker which 2 other moves should it learn? Is Toxic & Rest a good combo? I have a Blue Flute btw.

I used a Dusclops in one of my challenge runthroughs and it's best to use him more offensively than defensively. Ice Beam/Earthquake is a nice combo for him and Toxic, Confuse Ray/Protect top it off nicely.

Hope this helps! :)

Perriechu

Years
Depends what game I'm playing. I dislike choosing a Pokemon that everybody catches, though.

LG/FR I usually catch something like a Mankey, Pikachu or Nidoran. I only catch them depending on the starter though. If it's Bulbasaur/Squirtle I'll catch a Pikachu/Nidoran. And a Mankey if it's Charmander.

In R/S/E it could be either Wingull, Ralts or Surskit; I tend to go for Ralts though because Gardevoir turns into a beast later in the game.

tnfsf11

According to the internet Duskull is more about def & sp. def, and Shuppet is more about atk & sp. atk, & I wanted a tank only for trolling soooooo...

-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Curse
-Rest

I put w-o-w because I might encounter Gengars & Haunters & Toxic won't work, & I removed Protect because it lasts for 1 turn only & I was hoping that it protects me from hits while I curse...
Is this combo okay???

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
According to the internet Duskull is more about def & sp. def, and Shuppet is more about atk & sp. atk, & I wanted a tank only for trolling soooooo...

-Will-O-Wisp
-Toxic
-Curse
-Rest

I put w-o-w because I might encounter Gengars & Haunters & Toxic won't work, & I removed Protect because it lasts for 1 turn only & I was hoping that it protects me from hits while I curse...
Is this combo okay???

Honestly since you're playing 3rd gen you're not gonna be playing online which means having Dusclops take on a pure defensive role is redundant... But if you want it that way then Will-O-Wisp and Toxic is pointless because Dusclops can either burn the opponent and then stall with Pain Split + Seismic Toss. Whereas Toxic should be partnered with Protect and an offensive move so Taunt doesn't shut you down. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Psychic etc are your only options. Confuse Ray is a great addition to Dusclops small movepool because it can cause havoc with your opponents and with the constant damage from burn/poison and the fixed damage from Seismic Toss you'll do fine.

Toxic moveset
- Toxic
- Protect
- Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Psychic

Will-O-Wisp
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seismic Toss
- Pain Split
- Confuse Ray / Shadow Ball

tnfsf11

- Toxic
- Protect
- Confuse Ray
- Ice Beam / Earthquake / Shadow Ball / Psychic
I think I'll go with this one, I can't get Protect so maybe I'll replace it with Double Team? I also think I should give him an Adamant nature...

Years
You can buy Protect anytime in Lilycove Store, it's the TM 17.

And if you're going to use an Adamant Dusclops, make sure you choose Shadow Ball or Earthquake (EQ is weaker than a STABed Shadow Ball, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back