• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has 3D changed your opinion of any old pokemon? (Part II)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 2, 2016
One of my favourite bird Pokemon is Pidgeot and I was disappointed with it's 3D model! I really wish they'd have made it with it's feet tucked in. Looks much cooler in my opinion!
I also really dislike Butterfree's model. I really liked Butterfree before :(

There's lots of other Pokemon I've changed my mind about and actually like them MORE now that I see their 3D models though. Too many to list! A couple of favourites are Entei, Articuno, Umbreon and Feraligatr though!

Spry

Bird is the word
Years
I used to like Lugia but its 3D Model killed it for me. I don't like the fact that its flying vertically instead of horizontally. I dunno maybe i'm just weird :/

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2016
I caught entei in colosseum and I like the X/Y model an infinite times more than the one in colosseum. I think it's because of his darker color scheme and the shorter legs make his body proportions better and his new stance make him seem less stiff. The buffed move pool in gen 6 over gen 3 also helps.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Horrible Pokemon

Have you seen a pokemon in the 2D sprites and never thought anything of it, but then when you saw it in 3D thought it was horrible? Not horrible as in poorly done artistically, but just if such a creature existed how horrible it is to imagine it living like that?

The biggest moment I had like this was Arceus. I'd seen it plenty, but the first time I saw it in 3D in Y I thought how horrible that ring is, it looks like it's tormenting Arceus the way it constricts in the stomach the way it does. (Sort of like those animals that get stuck in the plastic 6 pack rings and gradually grow to the point where it's cutting into them) the other one that was just kind of creepy was the first time I saw Whismur in Pokemon Colloseum the way it's mouth kept moving like it was continuously whispering something. Not sure why, it just always creeped me out. Anyway, what pokemon did you suddenly find creepy/disturbing/horrifying once they made the leap to 3D?

Years
Sentret is like buff!! xD I never realized how strong Sentret it till now. But that's about it, I love the 3d pokemon!

Yeah I admit that it was surprising seeing Sentret standing on its feet and not its tail like most of its previous sprites depicted. But I think it looks cuter than ever in the new 3D graphics.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Im still not sure what to think of Eelektross 3D Model.
I mean yes, its an eel and it has levitate, so maybe it makes sense he is "floating"??
On the other hand, its 2d model looked like it was standing and sooo much bulkier!!

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Nakala Pri

Mr. Mime now makes me cringe, Probopass makes me fling my 3Ds at the wall and the rest... well... it kinda makes you pay attention to detail but still.

So yeah, my opinion is now totally refurnished with new, modern red leather couches, french windows and a patio. I guess my view on Pokemon are now far more real. <3

DIE, PROBOPASS, DIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
Unown looks super cool in the 3D model. *_*

The Klink line looks pretty sweet too. I used to think it was a stupid Pokemon but it looks cool in the 3D model so it's making me like it DX

Years
Im still not sure what to think of Eelektross 3D Model.
I mean yes, its an eel and it has levitate, so maybe it makes sense he is "floating"??
On the other hand, its 2d model looked like it was standing and sooo much bulkier!!

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I never liked Eelektross' original sprite, but the 3D model fits it so well because well, it does have the Levitate ability after all so having it floating as opposed to just standing and hopping like that.

Another Pokemon that I think the 3D has changed my thoughts on would have to be Skuntank:

skuntank.gif

I was never fond of the coloring in its old sprites (the brown color really didn't look nice) so I was glad they finally made its "light" parts the same cream color shown in its official art. So basically X/Y made my thoughts on the skunk change in a positive manner, and oh it even opens up the tip of its own tail when it attacks, which is pretty cool I gotta admit.

snorlax.gif

Oh, and Snorlax is now finally standing after 5 generations trying to get up!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Druddigon. It has become one of my more favorite dragons. I did not use to like it, but not I love it. It could be because I got the shiny version of it in my first run through X. But it looks a lot better than it did in BW.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years
I don't Like the design of some Pokemon, But I like the world Design verry much!
The real Kiddy style is gone now and that is what I like the most, But the game keeps It charm Pretty good.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I was never fond of the coloring in its old sprites (the brown color really didn't look nice) so I was glad they finally made its "light" parts the same cream color shown in its official art. So basically X/Y made my thoughts on the skunk change in a positive manner, and oh it even opens up the tip of its own tail when it attacks, which is pretty cool I gotta admit.

I actually liked the old coloring of Skuntank; to me, it seemed more suitable. xD;; Though, this isn't too bad, either. It's much more vibrant.

Lihtal

Castle Guard
Years
One word: Hitmontop
hitmontop.gif

Look at it. LOOK THOSE SWEET MOVES!

That´s worth what i payed for Pokemon X

Overall i think they made a good transition from Sprites to actual models. Now some could be better and the color pallet sometimes throws me off. Bt i have this in mind:

Remember how sprites went evolving since Gen 1? I think this is how models are going to be, sure nowadays to our standards they are probably not flawless or appealing but also remember, i don't think Pokemon is going to die any-day soon now. There is way too much potential here, so i am glad to be part of this new transaction. Could it be better yes, but as a start, you have got to admit is something else.

P.D : I dislike how they made typhlosion without the flames on its back

Lihtal

Castle Guard
Years
Typhlosion still has flames when it's using attacks. I've not seen it in action myself but it's been mentioned earlier in the thread.

157typhlosion.gif
157typhlosion.gif
157.gif
typhlosion.gif
To me it seems way too different...and cant get used to it.

Yeah, that is actually true, i read it somewhere here. But... its more a matter of not seeing what im used to, like how in gen 2 it always had its flame, then back to HGSS and not to mention BW. To my eyes it does´t seem natural, but that is just me.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Luxray.
I don't know, in Diamond and Pearl I thought he was cute. Now he just looks clunky and awkward. I've gotten used to it, but he's just not as cute as he used to be.

And I must agree with the Typhlosion comments. Quilava is one of my favorites, but now he just looks ridiculous without his flames. It's just not the same.
156.gif
quilava.gif

Jakeremix

Poképro~
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 16, 2015
Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but we now know from Diglet's model that his nose is indeed a nose. There was never any doubt from me, of course. :P

Also, I was surprised at how small the Rotom forms were in X/Y considering their sprites appeared to be a lot larger. It's kinda weird... I thought Rotom possessed the appliances rather than just taking the form of them.

Years
Luxray.
I don't know, in Diamond and Pearl I thought he was cute. Now he just looks clunky and awkward. I've gotten used to it, but he's just not as cute as he used to be.

And I must agree with the Typhlosion comments. Quilava is one of my favorites, but now he just looks ridiculous without his flames. It's just not the same.
156.gif
quilava.gif

I know it may not have flames in its idle animation, but it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Cyndaquil line's flames show up when they're attacking. They also don't have flames show unless they're attacking in the anime as well, so nothing to get in a flip about.

Back