• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Ive been playing Pokemon since a little kid and my first version was yellow. The age were i became "too old" for pokemon (according to peers, parents...basically anyone) was probably around 15/16, or 8th grade. At that time everyone my age seemed to suddenly stop having fun playing the games, and there was a time where i distanced myself because i thought it would be embarrassing (yes, peer pressure is a real thing sadly.) Then i relized it was stupid to stop doing something i enjoy, so i went out and got a copy of Pearl. Im 21 now, i loved Pokemon X and i will probably love every gen thats still to come (:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 19, 2014
20 (: and never had any problems! I think my friends hate me more because I am a jokester (oh wait that wasn't funny lol)

Years
This has been said a lot, but I don't think there is an age limit for Pokemon. I'm 21, and whenever someone (including my mom) asks why I'm playing a "kids' game" I look at her and give her a simple answer: it's rated E for everyone; anyone who enjoys it can play it, no matter their age.

I work at a school, and I let it be known to all the kids that I like and play Pokemon. By doing that, I have built relationships with more of them, and have actually used Pokemon as incentives for academic work. Once, I had a student write me an essay on Pokemon, and when I approved it his parents bought him Y. Another student did a "book report" of sorts on one of the manga volumes, and he got a four dollar figure of Pansage in return.

Again, one of the teachers I work with, asked me why I played Pokemon. I gave them the same "rated E" speech, and added for her, "I just got two students to willing write and read about something they like, and enjoyed those assignments at the same time." (I left my final comment: is my playing Pokemon really a problem? to myself, though.)

There is nothing wrong with still playing Pokemon. In fact, the game room at my university has a pretty good group of people my age and older who play Pokemon. I like playing Pokemon, and I'm proud of it!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 3, 2016
you are never too old to play pokemon but from my experience there is a time where people will laugh at you for playing it. I'd say somewhere between the ages of 10 and 16. I got laughed at whenever I played pokemon so I didn't play gen 4 or 5. Now I'm 18 I'm in college and I play pokemon again. I played through white last year and diamond this year and transfered all of my old pokemon from gen 3 to gen 6, now I have my nearly 10 years old gen 3 pokemon on pokemon Y. What do other people think of it? They either don't mind it or they play pokemon themselves.

Years
I think that you are not too old for Pokemon until you feel like you don't want to play anymore/you lose interest. I am 19 years old and I still enjoy the games and anime - I've also seen much older players on youtube (even 40 or more) - so I guess that as long as you enjoy it you are not too old ^^

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Once you hit a certain age, nobody really cares anymore, because they have their own life to worry about. I'm at that age. When I was in middle school kids thought I was totally uncool for it but whatever, they went back to playing Crystal when they hit the 12th grade, so whatever.

Years
I thought I was "too old for Pokemon" come Generation III. I gave up my trainer hat and my Pokeballs until High School. When Generation IV came around, my older cousin, whom I always considered my Pokemon rival throughout my childhood, convinced me to get Diamond. From then on, I recovered my trainer hat and balls, and never looked back. Now at twenty {redacted}, I gleefully trade and battle with my boyfriend.

Sadly, my cousin has given up his career as a trainer. He felt he outgrew it and has moved on to other things. The sadder part is that I have lost touch with him. I still think back to the good ol' days in which our friendly battles of epicness would fill our afternoons with excitement. If I am somehow able to come in contact with him again, I'm going to be sure to try to convince him to return to the wonderful world of Pokemon! Who knows... maybe he's out there, training his team, until we meet again in the next battle....

On {redacted} and I stil enjoy the games and show
Yay! We're the same age. 90's kids power activate!

Though I don't watch the show religiously, I'll watch an occasional episode with my boyfriend every so often. Good times~

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2014
I'm nearly 16 and I play Pokemon. My friends like it, and the people who don't like it don't dislike me, just the games and anime. Be yourself, if you like it, play it!

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
"Old age" is subjective. So whenever you feel you are too old and feel that Pokemon isn't for you anymore, then that is when you should stop. For me personally? I expect to trade with my Grandkids in the future, so there's no stopping for me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Well, honestly, I've kind of stopped playing the games. Not actively, at least. But it's not because I have some kind of notion of being too old for them. Not at all! Rather, I just don't feel like playing them. I don't have the necessary consoles also (3DS) because I need to spend my money on other things. So in a way, you might say I'm growing too old by now.

But at the same time, I'm still a moderator on a pokémon forum and I'm RPing and stuff, so I haven't really let go of the franchise and probably never will :3 Just wait until I get children, oh, they'll have so many pokémon toys!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
I had quit after Generation 3 for awhile out of boredom, but never because I was too old for it. Lately my interest has been revitalized though and I've been enjoying it quite a bit!

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
Years
Your never to old for something you love to do.
If your *friends* say Your to old for that and can't acept you play it, they aren't real friends.
I know plenty of people in the 30-50 That are still enyoing the games (anime).
Nothing wrong with that.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
I'm 16 and after some of my school mates saw me playing Pokemon Emerald on my iPod a little group of us formed that is playing pokemon and activly talking about it. This group consist of 6 people. There is 30 people in our class. We are considered children and retards for this. So yeah it would seem that its going to be 16 for me.

I mean before highschool people didn't really mind me since I was a geek and I've had 2 people that I hung out with from my class but they did not seem to mind the pokemon factor and most of the class also didn't so in the end it just depends on the people I guess.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
As the saying goes, "you don't stop playing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop playing". It is entirely up to you what you love, no matter what age you are.

As a 20-year-old who is even more into Pokemon now than she used to be (if that's possible) I'd say I won't be giving up on it anytime soon~

tfender7

I'm 20 (will be 21 in December) and I'm still playing Pokemon ^^

Years
I don't remember my exact age.

But when Yu-Gi-Oh came around everybody moved over to that and started saying things like "Pokemon is for babies" lol

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
Years
Yep, Pokemon was never too old for me. as i first started pokemon when i was 7, and nows, im double dat age, still playing pokemon :) (although i quit for 2 years lol). Around when i was in grade 6 to 7, it was considered...babyish to them, but i kept my secret of my love to pokemon to myself xD. But now, in my new secondary school, almost everyone loves pokemon O_o...which..was strange xD.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 14, 2014
Like Harry Potter, pokemon had helped me through some dark times in my life dealing with some personal and family issues.

Those who are too eager to grow up are those who will be the most miserable. For those who post on this board and are still in middle or high school and play pokemon, never let the judgement of others dissuade you from enjoying what you hold dearly.

The moment you start caring about what others think of you or whatever hobbies you peruse is when you stop caring about yourself.

Be yourself and keep playing Pokemon and loving it. If people want to judge you for it then they should take a long look at themselves in the mirror.

Besides there are a hell of a lot worse things you could be doing at your age. I would know :P

Back