Fuyu

I'm still a tamer. I have my pride!

Female
College
Seen 4 Days Ago
Posted November 24th, 2016
3,079 posts
10.5 Years
Muh I forget stuff. I've forgotten more stuff I'm sure. I'l probably make LM let me rewrite this fic when it's done, just so my pet peeves will leave me alone. Here's chapter 13. Don't think about it too much.

Chapter 13: Dark Ties

Night fell and the children huddled together around many small fires. All but Izzy, who was sitting paces away, Tentomon at his side in silence. Kari grit her teeth as Joe firmly yanked the branch from her leg. He quickly threw it into the fire, the better to hide the scent of blood. He reached into his bag and quickly wrapped bandages around the injury.

“This is all I can do,” he explained to an observing Tai, Davis, TK, and Jonathan. “Some of the plants in the Real World are not the same as the Digital World. Unless we had some of the herbs grown here, the injury could get infected.”

“So we just have to find some herbs that's all,” Davis cried in as much of an enthusiastic voice as he could muster.

“Yes but do we know what to look for?” Jonathan pointed out, wincing guiltily at the crestfallen look on Davis's face.

Joe turned to Izzy. He flinched subtly at the almost sullen look on the genius's face. “Hey Izzy does your computer have any data on the plants here?”

Izzy started and thought about it a moment. Then he shook his head. “I'm sorry Joe. I never considered the possibility. I'll have to start now then.” Mimi watched him from Sora's side, feeling a mixture of confusion and hurt. What's bothering him? Why is he avoiding me?

“Well,” TK began briskly. “I'll just have to go out and look.”

Matt stood up, immediately ready to shoot down the idea. “No way TK. It's night out and you know as well as I do that the Digimon are much more ferocious at night.”

TK shrugged, blue eyes cold. “I've got Patamon. I'll be fine.” Without waiting he strode away.

Willis looked at everyone. “I'll go after him.” He ran to catch up, Catherine at his heels.

“Sora?”

“Hm?” The red-haired teen turned from where she had been resting at the fire. Mimi gently sat next to her. She was clearly troubled, face drawn.

“What's wrong Mimi?” Sora asked, feeling more than a little concern for her best friend.
Mimi looked left to right anxiously. “It's...Izzy.” The Bearer of Love winced slightly. She had been hoping Mimi wouldn't ask her about this. “He's, he's avoiding me and I don't know why. What did I do?”

“Oh Mimi... did you really not notice?” Why did I just put my foot in my mouth like that?

“Notice what?”

“Remember what we talked about a while back,” Sora wheedled gently. “You said he had a crush on you.”

“Well...” It clicked. Her eyes widened and Mimi paled. “But-But that was just a crush! There's, there's no way he still-” The solemn look in Sora's eyes made her give. “But I-I don't-”

“I know,” Sora said gently. “And he's hurting because of it. He needs some time and space. Just let him be for a while.”

“Okay, explain something to me,” Tai began, as the others left. Davis looked over at him.

“What is it Tai?”

“You said you'd tell me how you managed to evolve your partners to the Ultimate level.”

Davis grinned sheepishly. “Oh, that. There really isn't much to say.”

“It was because of Azulongmon,” Yolei explained, coming over to sit down. She brushed her lavender hair from her eyes and glanced worriedly at the scowling Kari. She could tell her DNA partner was not enjoying being fussed over. “Remember when Gennai used one of Azulongmon's DigiCores on us last year?”

Tai nodded, slowly getting an idea of what she was getting at. “Yeah, and...”

“I took a look at our Digimon and it showed that the power was still inside our Digimon. We never used the power to digivolve to Ultimate because we had DNA Digivolving. So the power kind of... lingered.”

“And it hasn't worn off yet?” Tai inquired, unsure if he could believe this.

Davis puffed out his chest proudly, causing Yolei to hit him on the head. “We've been practicing. I don't think we need to worry anymore.” Tai grinned at his junior's confidence.

“Just don't get a big head,” he teased. Davis looked playfully offended.

“Me?” he asked incredulously. “Never! Where on earth would you get that idea?” The goggleheads laughed for a moment before a scream erupted.

“What the hell was that?” Tai questioned the air. He looked at his sister. “Kari, think you can walk with some support?” She nodded and weakly stood up, allowing her brother to lend her a hand. As quickly as possible, the four followed the scream. They glimpsed Willis struggling to pull up a nearly falling TK from a cliff edge. The hat-wearing blonde was clutching to something in his other fist. Immediately Davis rushed to help, and the pair succeeded in pulling him back up. For a moment the three males sat there, panting heavily. Then Davis clenched his fists furiously and turned to his teammate.

“What's the matter with you?” Davis roared at the blond, yanking him firmly back by his collar. “Do you want to die or something?”

“Let go of me!” TK whirled around and socked Davis in the face. Davis didn't fall back an inch, instead returning the blow with just as much force.

“You idiot! You call me reckless, but you just nearly ran off a cliff. How stupid are you?”

“I said I'd help her and that's what I intend to do!” TK shot back. Everyone looked between them. Was this just a fight that friends got into? Or was there more behind it?

“Some use you are dead!” Davis replied, punching again. “Anybody with a brain cell knows you have to be alive to protect somebody! Besides, last I checked, we all care about Kari! Don't act so goddamn high and mighty because you two are...” he grimaced. “close.”

“Just what are you implying?” TK growled, tackling him.

“Why don't you think about it for a second you bastard?”

“Come on now you two enough,” Sora tried to intervene but the pair ignored her, continuing to attack.

As the others watched helplessly, no one saw Izzy slip away in silence.

He was sitting there in the grey, knees drawn to his chest. It was cold but he didn't feel like moving. He didn't feel like doing much of anything. Someone was talking to him but it was really hard to hear. It was like he had earplugs in.

“Hey, there's someone here.” A voice was speaking to him. It was dim, as though muffled by fog. Yet he could hear the almost innocent interest inside of it. “That's strange;
your kind usually don't show up here.”

“...Leave me alone.”

There was a giggle, softly malicious. “That's even weirder! I thought all of you stuck together like glue, like a family.” There was a derisive snort. “Whatever
that means.”

“Shut up...” They were so annoying, why weren't they leaving him alone? A sick, grey feeling was beginning to choke him.

“Hm...” There was the vaguest wisps of a figure at the edge of his vision. He wanted them gone. Why the hell were they coming closer?

“Your heart's all weird. You want the dark in yet you won't let it come. Ha-hah, that's so odd.” Even in the fog, he could see a wide grin. “How do you even
do that?”

“Are you crazy or something? You're not making any sense.” The voice laughed again.

“Of course I am. But, lucky for you, I'm crazy and useful. At least, that's what I've been told.” They knelt in front of him. Why couldn't he see them? “Your heart is full of pain, hate, envy, despair, anger, all of those emotions that drag people here are inside you.” The gentle worry sounded foreign to the voice. “I wonder what happened...”

He jerked away. “Are you insane or hard of hearing? I want to be left alone! It's none of your business!” Still the feeling dug itself in his chest. The person shook their head.

“You aren't meant to be here so that makes it mine.”

“Why won't you...”

“Go away? I'm bored, you're interesting, and I want to try something.” The grin was back for a second. “It's so cool.” They straightened. “Anyway... we need to get you back. You're on the edge of complete transfer.”

For some reason, he felt pure fear.“What... what is that?”

The person seemed to sigh. “For your kind it's the point of no return.” They grabbed his wrist roughly and smirked as he struggled to pull away. “Stop that you. I gotta concentrate. It's not like this is easy.”

“Let me go! I don't want to go back!”

The person glared, briefly visible eyes full of mockery. “Don't you know anything? It's never about what you want unless you make it that way.”

His body felt strange, as though it were fading. “What- what's happening?”

They were looking away from him, still shrouded in fog. “Do you know what the Digital World is made up of?”

“Data obviously.”

There was another smirk in the air. “Almost. It's the dreams of people, the power of believing in dreams. I believe it's also called miracles. The Digital World is full of human dreams.” They laughed.“Amusing right?”

“How is that funny?” he spat, feeling offended for reasons he didn't know. The grey feeling was beginning to pass yet intensify.

They sighed again, evidently put-out. “I guess to your kind it wouldn't be funny. You care about it so much. The irony is lost on you I suppose.”

“You keep saying your kind. You're human aren't you?”

“Honestly? These days I'm starting to wonder.” The person was suddenly engulfed in light, the shine engulfing his vision. “There we go. I guess being whatever I am has its advantages for you. This is great practice for me too. Everyone wins.”

For some reason, he felt very tired. The last thing he heard was, “Don't try to go there. You all would be swallowed. No matter how much it hurts you have to bear it if you want to accomplish something.”

His last thought was wondering why this person seemed almost bipolar.

“Where the heck is Izzy at?” Tai half-snapped to no one in particular. “His digivice signal's gone!” The team was falling apart at the seams and now one of their party was missing. What the hell were they going to do like this?

“Don't yell at us!” Blair replied with a glare. “It's not like we know.”

“Then help look instead of trying to burn trees with your eyes,” Davis muttered darkly, returning the cold look Blair sent him. She obeyed, despite the pure anger she felt.

Suddenly the signal reappeared and was heading towards them. Tai breathed a sigh of relief. “Phew. I guess he was just out of range.” He glanced at it again and frowned. It was moving way too quickly for Izzy's usual speed. “Get ready guys,” he warned. “I think Izzy ran into trouble. He's headed this way.” Everyone tensed, and looked in the direction Tai was facing. All Digimon were in battle position, ready to evolve whenever.

They could hear the distinct sound of footsteps and the grass rustled. Someone stepped out from the tree's shadows. They sighed, cracking their knuckles through the black fingerless gloves, staff held in the loop of their arm.

“Well, well, it looks like everyone's hostile today.” Kiriko Ryutori grinned a wild smile, similar to Sean's cold, dirty sneer. Her grey eyes flashed red. “And I'm not even in the mood to kill you today.” She glanced behind her as her familiar Renamon walked into view with Tentomon buzzing behind, Izzy unconscious on her back.

Kiri gestured. “This is yours right?”
"Perhaps I misjudged you after all."